DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How and where do you store your Mavic?

iflyimpilot

Reactions
Just curious on how you guys store your Mavic when not in use and if you take any precautions on where you store it. Reason I ask is because I've read so many posts about compass issues, drifting, compass errors/interference, etc., and I myself am facing such issues. I'm wondering if having the Mavic near anything that could cause magnetic interference would screw with the compass the next time it's powered on and flown.

My Mavic is stored inside a DSLR backpack. If you look at how it's sitting there, the power strip and cables are right next to the backpack and there is my PC right next to it as well. There is also a router/modem about 5ft away on top of a shelving unit. On top of my desk are also a set of studio monitors which definitely have magnets in them as far as I know. I know it seems like such an obvious question but I hope to get some input/advice on this -- is my Mavic just simply surrounded by way too many magnetic sources which could be causing my drift issues?

I accidentally left mine overnight on the shelf next to a small speaker. Had to re-calibrate the compass the next day. So, store away from any speakers.

Just curious on how you guys store your Mavic when not in use and if you take any precautions on where you store it. Reason I ask is because I've read so many posts about compass issues, drifting, compass errors/interference, etc., and I myself am facing such issues. I'm wondering if having the Mavic near anything that could cause magnetic interference would screw with the compass the next time it's powered on and flown.

My Mavic is stored inside a DSLR backpack. If you look at how it's sitting there, the power strip and cables are right next to the backpack and there is my PC right next to it as well. There is also a router/modem about 5ft away on top of a shelving unit. On top of my desk are also a set of studio monitors which definitely have magnets in them as far as I know. I know it seems like such an obvious question but I hope to get some input/advice on this -- is my Mavic just simply surrounded by way too many magnetic sources which could be causing my drift issues?

Did you re-calibrate the compass and IMU and still have drift issues?

I bought a Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG. I use this exclusively, whether it is transporting to the flight site or storing. It's a smallish backpack, but plenty of room for everything. Check out this photo I found online:

canon-200eg-ewaters-canon-20d-72-1405076823.jpg

The Mavic will take up the two spots taken by the 20D body and 85 f/1.8 above. Then plenty of space for the remote, extra batteries, chargers, cables, memory cards, etc. There is a front pouch also which can hold your tablet.

Wait, but that's not what you asked. For day to day storage, I leave this the backpack on the floor next to my desk. Nothing really around it. Sometimes it is on a shelf, inside the closet. No electronics nearby.

Reactions: mkdive and cderoche
Did you re-calibrate the compass and IMU and still have drift issues?

I haven't done a compass calibration yet since I'm under the impression that you shouldn't unless the app prompts it, but it's definitely next on my list of troubleshooting.. Still need to find a suitable magnetic field free place to do it. I'm hopeful that it'll help with what I noticed the last time I flew. The difference between compass 1 and compass 2 was around 200.

Last edited:
I for one re-calibrate the compass on my mavic every time I fly the **** thing. But that's just me. Many people on here will say you should only do it once and whatnot. I mean, it only takes like 20 seconds to do it... :rolleyes:

Mine is now safely in a case for the Mavic. 2 kids running around and though they will not touch my desk area...better safe. As for the Speaker comment..they have magnets in them.

I for one re-calibrate the compass on my mavic every time I fly the **** thing. But that's just me. Many people on here will say you should only do it once and whatnot. I mean, it only takes like 20 seconds to do it... :rolleyes:

20 seconds times 90 flights is 30 minutes of your life spinning in circles. Why would anyone want to do that?

I keep mine in a backpack with only Mavic stuff in (not the mains chargers) and store it in my bedroom well away from electronic stuff - especially speakers. I have a pair of Wharfdale E50s (from the early 80s) in my living room and would not store it anywhere near them or my guitar amps!

I can't see any electromagnetic fields in a house being strong enough to cause a problem - but mobile phones?

I wouldn't put my phone in the backpack - but then again - I store the iPad in there which had 4g - hadn't thought of that until now.

No compass or magnetic problems so far. Only recalibrate the compas once in 6 months when I travelled 1,500 miles south from UK to Portugal.

Side garage, spare key is under the black rock next to the pot plant.
Theres beer in the fridge

I keep mine in a backpack with only Mavic stuff in (not the mains chargers) and store it in my bedroom well away from electronic stuff - especially speakers. I have a pair of Wharfdale E50s (from the early 80s) in my living room and would not store it anywhere near them or my guitar amps!

I can't see any electromagnetic fields in a house being strong enough to cause a problem - but mobile phones?

I wouldn't put my phone in the backpack - but then again - I store the iPad in there which had 4g - hadn't thought of that until now.

No compass or magnetic problems so far. Only recalibrate the compas once in 6 months when I travelled 1,500 miles south from UK to Portugal.

The compass can only become upset if you "calibrate it" near electromagnetic sources.
it doesnt matter if it fluctuates when your not flying.

Do it once, do it well, forget about it
IMU is more important if you want to be finicky
unless the wharfedale E50's have Uranium drivers, your gonna be fine

Reactions: cderoche
20 seconds to introduce a disaster. Most fly aways are caused by calibration on a bad spot.
'I calibrated the compass as I always do and still it flew away', has become a very common phrase.

Reactions: LucVN
The compass can become totally and permanently wrong after sitting a night next to speakers or subwoofers, a PC monitor or television set. Sometimes even up to a point you even have to degauss it with a magnet. Which is easily done by the way. Always do a short hover test before starting the actual flight. If it behaves strangely or is TBE-ing (toilet bowl effect) you need to calibrate. If it's OK, leave it.

Capture+_2017-07-31-20-43-26.png
20 seconds times 90 flights is 30 minutes of your life spinning in circles. Why would anyone want to do that?

If it aint broke don't fix it is how I roll. Lots of smart people in the various forums have strong opinions on this subject, on one side of the fence or the other. Only calibrated mine once. As long as it shows good on take off and I take off from a good spot I'm happy. Maybe if I traveled half way across the planet I would re-calibrate it, or having issues like the OP. I don't realign my car every time I drive it either lol. And yesterday evening I hit a milestone, made the 3 mile club, no issues getting back to the take off spot on RTH. My only issue with this drone has been the crappy DJI Go 4 software that every other update crashes with Android OS. Hardware-wise this thing for me has been rock solid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toruk Makto
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada