DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How animals react to a drone, (up for review)

What could I have done better?

• Length

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Music

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Editing

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Color grading

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • nothing

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Not make it at all?

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters
This Just further proves: You really can't keep from slightly scaring animals when you come close enough to get a good shot of them.... (The way to do it of course would be to get them so used to it that you could fly right over to them and they would just keep grazing naturally.....)

Protect Wildlife & the Environment
  • Do not fly over congressionally designated Wilderness Areas or Primitive Areas as many people seek these places for the opportunities for solitude and quiet that they provide.

• Do not fly over or near wildlife as this can create stress that may cause significant harm, and even death. Intentional disturbance of animals during breeding, nesting, rearing of young, or other critical life history functions is not allowed unless approved as research or management.

• Follow state wildlife and fish agency regulations on the use of UAS to search for or detect wildlife and fish.
  • Launch the UAS more than 100 meters (328 feet) from wildlife. Do not approach animals or birds vertically with the UAS.
Tips for Responsible Hobby or Recreational Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) or "Drones" on National Forest Systems Lands | US Forest Service

Ok, thanks for the debate, here is my next video, (no animals disturbed, only ice, fog and water)

I imagine that most of the people who posted the first few posts probably live in the city or have never (or almost never) seen a wild deer before....
You could easily check that by looking. To answer your question, nope.

Reactions: Thomas B
My brothers dog likes it.... :) that thing can JUMP!70220

• Wow
Reactions: MKurr
Protect Wildlife & the Environment
  • Do not fly over congressionally designated Wilderness Areas or Primitive Areas as many people seek these places for the opportunities for solitude and quiet that they provide.
  • Do not fly over or near wildlife as this can create stress that may cause significant harm, and even death. Intentional disturbance of animals during breeding, nesting, rearing of young, or other critical life history functions is not allowed unless approved as research or management.
  • Follow state wildlife and fish agency regulations on the use of UAS to search for or detect wildlife and fish.
  • Launch the UAS more than 100 meters (328 feet) from wildlife. Do not approach animals or birds vertically with the UAS.
Tips for Responsible Hobby or Recreational Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) or "Drones" on National Forest Systems Lands | US Forest Service
Good rules.
Clearly the definition in bullet point 2 above is defined at least in part by the 4th bullet point.

Interesting that camping is allowed anywhere in the NF except as noted in bullet point 1 above, and that during hunting season in AZ, (where 90+% of the land is NF, Indian reservation, or state trust land) is an endless parade of vehicles with hunters looking for deer, elk, bear, javelina, or whatever is in season. This is certainly as disruptive to wildlife.

Not saying that we shouldn’t follow the regs, just saying that these regs are slanted against drones as compared to those governing hunting, camping, etc. True enough that hunting is necessary in management of AZ wildlife, Theodore Roosevelt proved that, my point is that cars and people (hunting or not) are just as disruptive to wildlife.

Sorry for the rant.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Please comment and make constructive suggestions!
Personally, I've filmed deer from a safe distance and they still ran, but they did stare at it inquisitively first. Cows also don't like drones, and my dad has actually asked me to bring the cows in with my drone before. Some birds are scared and some act aggressively towards my drones. But I've found that dogs (especially country dogs) do not like drones and will bark and chase a drone. I guess it all depends on the animal and it's behaviors. Kind of like people.

Reactions: MKurr
Personally, I've filmed deer from a safe distance and they still ran, but they did stare at it inquisitively first. Cows also don't like drones, and my dad has actually asked me to bring the cows in with my drone before. Some birds are scared and some act aggressively towards my drones. But I've found that dogs (especially country dogs) do not like drones and will bark and chase a drone. I guess it all depends on the animal and it's behaviors. Kind of like people.
My domestic goose doesn't like my drone either...

Still, I have seen videos where deer run like crazy from a drone, in this case they didn't, maybe because I didn't keep chasing them*.

*Don't chase deer, (but you mat follow them like I did)
Probably because these deer were fenced in. Their first instinct was to run but there was a barrier. A drone sounds like a swarm of bees to some animals and they want to get away. Not really cool except to heard cattle or sheep maybe.

Deer can jump that fence with not much effort. If you come in from straight above they hear it but don't see it, by the time I get to a good altitude for filming they are not as nervous cause they see no danger.
Again if I see getting nervous I move on till next day. As the summer goes on and all the leaves come out it's even easier because they think they are hidden and the noise doesn't effect them the same.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut