DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How animals react to a drone, (up for review)

What could I have done better?

• Length

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Music

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Editing

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Color grading

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • nothing

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Not make it at all?

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters
I thought ALL flight in any National Park/Forrest had been banned?

National Parks are off limits, meaning that you cannot land or takeoff in them. National Forests are fine, except for designated wilderness where the same prohibition as on all mechanized equipment applies.

My point is, some of you are concerned that a deer my get scared, I wonder if the deer gets scared right before I harvest him with a .243? I'm betting he would choose a Drone...
Well, now you have opened a whole 'nother topic. And probably not a congenial one. Hey, BigAl07, come on back!

Everyone loves to argue whether they were scared or just mildly startled. The point is, there was absolutely nothing to be gained from filming in this way. In fact, the video would have been more interesting had it been filmed from a little more distance. Those ducks in the water, that was nice footage till the drone got too close and they flew away. And no, animals don't run or fly away from things they have no fear of.

Reactions: tcope
If I see it at all it starts to bother them I back away or just move on, just never, never chase or follow if they move. Some now let me it close, untill air from bird hits them, again just back away slow and they go on about what they are doing.

I hunt deer every year but never my Hollywood deer. Having more fun filming them and can hunt with camera everyday.

So, In other words, what you're saying is that we can't film wildlife with a drone unless we're too far away to see much. If I was walking around in the forest and taking pictures of some sort of wildlife, why wouldn't that be harassment as well? thanks I think this is getting blown way out of proportion. What's the definition of harassment?

That's why wildlife photographers use telephoto lenses...

Reactions: BC Pete
Horses and cows on the farm come running to see it when it's in the air. Don't know why but they will line up along the fence and watch. I'll get a photo next time and post it. Rather comical.
I have see that from cows too! sometimes they just look and go back to eating. Sheep really seem to not like it, I suspect it reminds them of being sheared. Horses I have seen go both ways so I am always careful around them till I know their reaction.

Reactions: MKurr
I try to avoid bothering wild life. Sometimes I don't even know there was any, until I play back the video/photo on a computer. Usually they're long gone, as soon as I stop and open my truck door to get a shot with my camera, let alone setting up to launch my drone. I've seen dogs and kids cause as much, or more reaction than my drone.

Far end of the field this Easter morning. I flew over some deer grazing at 400ft and they didn’t seem to care. I got down to under 100 ft b4 they looked pissed off and wandered away. I lifted to 400 and watched. After a few minutes, out they came and back to eating ??‍♂️

Reactions: Drgnfli
Far end of the field this Easter morning. I flew over some deer grazing at 400ft and they didn’t seem to care. I got down to under 100 ft b4 they looked pissed off and wandered away. I lifted to 400 and watched. After a few minutes, out they came and back to eating ??‍♂️
?Wow, so when they were specs on the screen they didn't care, but when they became bigger dots they ran away... This Just further proves: You really can't keep from slightly scaring animals when you come close enough to get a good shot of them.... (The way to do it of course would be to get them so used to it that you could fly right over to them and they would just keep grazing naturally.....)