DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How can the IMU affect camera, AF, or IQ?

Chris M

Reactions
I've been having troubles with sharpness across the frame (soft on the right) and AF problems... someone on the DJI forum suggested I do an IMU calibration as that helped them. Being completely skeptical, I did an IMU calibration on mine this morning after letting it sit outside for an hour and then I went to the park and did a test flight. My first impression is that it's much improved if not completely better. I still need to do more testing.

Can someone possibly explain how an IMU calibration can affect camera performance, AF, or image quality?

I've been having troubles with sharpness across the frame (soft on the right) and AF problems... someone on the DJI forum suggested I do an IMU calibration as that helped them. Being completely skeptical, I did an IMU calibration on mine this morning after letting it sit outside for an hour and then I went to the park and did a test flight. My first impression is that it's much improved if not completely better. I still need to do more testing.

Can someone possibly explain how an IMU calibration can affect camera performance, AF, or image quality?
It can't - they are totally unrelated.
I think it is either the placebo effect or your lens issue has coincidentally improved slightly.

Reactions: Chris M
Yeah, I don't like it when problems just seem to fix themselves though. More testing is required.
Yeah, I would do some more testing - the soft focus issue is a common problem and needs an RMA to sort it out.
I suppose it is possible that it could improve if the sensor and/or lens alignment shifted but then I would always be worried it would shift back with maybe a hard landing or something.

Presumably sensor is in the actual camera unit but the processing will be in the internal circuitry so perhaps not impossible that it is somehow applying information about the orientation of the machine?
The problem of one side not in focus seems quite common and at least some people seem to think it much improved after doing this.

Living in Canada with 4 extreme seasons I've noticed that many DJI Phantom 3 Advanced or Pro cameras react to cold temperatures. Image sharpness is affected. The colder it is the less sharp the image, unless the camera climatizes to the temperature unpowered for at least 30 mins. There are reports of some Inspire 1 cameras experiencing the same issue.

There were reports in the past of the opposite effect. A slightly blurry lens was fixed by leaving the Phantom 3 in the fridge for a few hours.

So far I have not seen this on my Mavic but if it does occur, it's the cold temperature to blame.

Yeah, I would do some more testing - the soft focus issue is a common problem and needs an RMA to sort it out.
I suppose it is possible that it could improve if the sensor and/or lens alignment shifted but then I would always be worried it would shift back with maybe a hard landing or something.

I did more testing... the IMU calibration didn't help after all. It's still soft on the right side. If you're interested to see what I'm seeing, you can see posts #13 and #14 here... Camera Soft on One Side - And strange video AF behaviour

I'm not at all convinced a lot of this softness is HW, as the editor stated IMU would not help this.

I would advice people to fully play with the focus before sending back to DJI and make sure you are setting it correctly, check for fogging on lens as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I have received the replacement Mavic Pro from the one that I sent in with the blur on the left hand side of the pictures. I received an entirely different Mavic Pro. I took a picture of the serial number of the one I sent out to see if this would happen. It had all the original stickers and the original 2 props installed as it they have when brand new. I'm guessing it is a brand new one. I didn't want that as my other Mavic Pro flew perfect and never had one problem just the blur on the left. The blur seems to be gone now and there doesn't seem to be any blur on the left, right, or anywhere on the pictures now. Also when the gimbal initializes, it doesn't make a hard clicking sound and snap into place immediately anymore as well. It also only tilts 2 times now instead of the original 3, where the 3rd was the fast acting snapping into the camera level location. First flight wasn't to pleasing at all. Calibrated everything and the thing drifted to the left like the stick was held to the left. I will try tomorrow again as today was my first day back to work and am aggravated enough as it is. Oh yeah, they received my Mavic Pro Monday November 14th. I got a notice it was fixed teh same day, and shipped Tuesday same week. Shipped Wednesday same week, and I received it today Monday November, 21st. No way it could have been fixed it that short amount of time. Has to be a brand new one.

I did all the IMU stuff and eveything Dji instructed me to do and I knew the IMU calibration would do nothing. It didn't so i sent it in and the previous message is the current state of it. Look and see if there is any dust in the lens as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore