DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How can the Mini 2 have same wind resistance like Air 2 and Air 2S

That completely explains some undesirable behavior I observed with my Mini-2 when flying in non-trivial wind. 15- 20 mph. I was experimenting with flying close to a tree, and I observed some uncommanded descents.

Tree induced turbulence! The wind was gusty, but nothing more than the Mini-2 had handled before...out in the open. Drone hit tree, fell through tree, been there, posted the video! I thought that a waving branch may have caught it, which may also be true, but that wouldn't explain the uncommanded descents. This does.
That a horizontal wind blowing toward a tree would be transformed into a vertical wind is very dubious.
Your uncommanded descent is much more likely to be due to something else.
An examination of tour flight data is likely to find a more credible explanation.

That a horizontal wind blowing toward a tree would be transformed into a vertical wind is very dubious.
Not uncommon at all. If you are on the leeward side the wind could certainly cause a downdraft. If on the windward side you can expect an updraft. Simple aerodynamics.

Attachments

• 1-s2.0-S0378778816301256-gr1.jpg
    1-s2.0-S0378778816301256-gr1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 3
Not uncommon at all. If you are on the leeward side the wind could certainly cause a downdraft. If on the windward side you can expect an updraft. Simple aerodynamics.
A tree isn't an obstacle like a brick wall.
The wind blows around it.
The suggestion that there was a downdraft behind the tree, strong enough that his drone was unable to counter sounds unlikely.
It's not something that other drone flyers have experienced.
The recorded data from the flight would help determine what the actual issue was.

Maybe these studies will show it.
The suggestion that there was a downdraft behind the tree, strong enough that his drone was unable to counter sounds unlikely.
The recorded data from the flight would help determine what the actual issue was.
Just because other have not reported it doesn't mean it doesn't happen or others didn't know what to blame the effect on. Wind can be very unpredictable. If already at the limit of being able to hold position, very little extra wind can cause it to become uncontrolable.

Attachments

• Air-flow-around-a-windbreak-showing-the-extent-of-various-microclimate-zones-in-terms-of.png
    Air-flow-around-a-windbreak-showing-the-extent-of-various-microclimate-zones-in-terms-of.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Function-of-trees-and-shrub-in-moderating-winds.jpg
    Function-of-trees-and-shrub-in-moderating-winds.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 4
  • unnamed.gif
    unnamed.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 4
Maybe these studies will show it.

Just because other have not reported it doesn't mean it doesn't happen or others didn't know what to blame the effect on. Wind can be very unpredictable. If already at the limit of being able to hold position, very little extra wind can cause it to become uncontrolable.
How thousands of drones have behaved in the past is a pretty good indication of how drones behave.
But conjecture without the data that would show what actually happened is a waste of everyone's time.

Science shows this isn't true. To say otherwise is misleading at best. Pilots blame accidents on many things, if they don't understand how wind behaves around objects that may try to blame the drone fir just flying into the tree by itself. Even you didn't believe that wind blowing over a tree could cause a downdraft, how could other less experienced pilots even know that it could and that their accident was maybe caused by this or was a factor.

You are right, we need the log to see what happened. But to discard all options before there are any other facts in disingenuous.

When ride soaring on

( Doh, PC keeps sending part way through a post, apols)
When ridge soaring low on a paraglider, I have often risen up in the lift over a tree and sunk down in the descending air behind it. Trees really do generate substantial lift and sink!

They are not related: you could have a large or small surface area for the same mass ( think of the same piece of paper screwed up into a tiny ball or opened out into a large sheet)
You are right, but .... mini2 and Air 2 S have the same proportions, that's what this thread is about
You also free to not open your parachute :)))
if some want to test in a wind tunnel , they find that the difference is not so very high ,IMHO

" Surface area is not dependant on mass " i never said that!

( Doh, PC keeps sending part way through a post, apols)
When ridge soaring low on a paraglider, I have often risen up in the lift over a tree and sunk down in the descending air behind it. Trees really do generate substantial lift and sink!
But not enough to cause the issue suggested in post #20.

I read somewhere recently the mini 2 will only bank/pitch to about, say 15 degrees whereas the larger ones have a greater pitch/bank angle. That would allow them to correct themselves in stronger wind.

I read somewhere recently the mini 2 will only bank/pitch to about, say 15 degrees whereas the larger ones have a greater pitch/bank angle. That would allow them to correct themselves in stronger wind.
Wherever you read that, it's incorrect.
The tilt angles are in the published specs for the Mini 2..
Max Tilt Angle​
40° (S Mode)​
25° (N Mode)*​
25° (C Mode)*​
* Up to 40° under strong winds​
This provides enough speed to deal with most normal flying situations.

Science shows this isn't true. To say otherwise is misleading at best. Pilots blame accidents on many things, if they don't understand how wind behaves around objects that may try to blame the drone fir just flying into the tree by itself. Even you didn't believe that wind blowing over a tree could cause a downdraft, how could other less experienced pilots even know that it could and that their accident was maybe caused by this or was a factor.

You are right, we need the log to see what happened. But to discard all options before there are any other facts in disingenuous.
Yes! Thanks for this! Actually I recently Had a very strange downdraft over a lake that almost wrecked my brand new Mavic 3. I had no idea why that happened and had flown over that same lake before with older drones (with both the first Mavic Pro and the spark) and had never experienced something like that. my friend who has a house by said lake and also has drones never experienced that. But it turns out the incident happened behind a large tree that’s right next to the lake (with large branches that extend over the lake), which now makes it at the very least a very plausible explanation for the downward push that almost caused me to total a Mavic 3 that was entirely devoid of DJI Care even. The traumatic event was one of the contributing aspects of my returning it to DJI (with outstanding customer service and full refund, DJI is still very much of a beloved brand for me. I’ve bought two of their camera gimbal hand devices and am likely getting the leaked mini 3 in April) and purchasing a skydio 2 in its place... (And missing the new skydio 2+ by a sneeze… well, one can’t be lucky all the time…)

Thanks for the explanation. And I’m at least one case that looks like can be an example of these laws influencing a drone’s flight. And before reading this I had not even considered the possibility of that tree being to blame for the downward draft.

Yes! Thanks for this! Actually I recently Had a very strange downdraft over a lake that almost wrecked my brand new Mavic 3. ..
Thanks for the explanation. And I’m at least one case that looks like can be an example of these laws influencing a drone’s flight. And before reading this I had not even considered the possibility of that tree being to blame for the downward draft.
That "explanation" is most unlikely to have caused your incident and without confirming data, is dubious.
The suggestion of a mysterious downdraft ignores the drone's ability to hold altitude and fight against such downdrafts (if they exist).
To find out what actually caused the incident, post your recorded flight data.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

That "explanation" is most unlikely to have caused your incident and without confirming data, is dubious.
The suggestion of a mysterious downdraft ignores the drone's ability to hold altitude and fight against such downdrafts (if they exist).
To find out what actually caused the incident, post your recorded flight data.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.
I don’t understand the basis of your claims. Saying something is dubious doesn’t make it dubious, unless you explain what about it makes it dubious. Your overuse of quotation marks surely doesn’t make anything dubious. There’s nothing “mysterious“ about a downdraft, and the diagrams posted on this threat explain in detail how these drafts may form behind obstacles such as trees. The drone was moving erratically, and it had both what felt like a constant pull downwards and also sudden faster drops in height, similar to experiencing heavy turbulence on an airplane, when you feel the plane lose altitude for a moment. I had to actively fight it, otherwise it would have ended up in the lake. I didn’t share all the details of the conditions (although they didn’t seem relevant for your conclusions for some reason.) Anyways, it was the end of the afternoon and I got a notification saying that *all* of the Mavic 3’s anti-collision sensors were turned off. Besides that, it was over a body of water. And my basic understanding is that sensors that help maintain altitude might be less reliable over a body of water. It was also windy. And the explanation (without quotation marks) given by the diagrams posted here is the most plausible. I was there. And I’m telling you these diagrams make what I experienced clearer. Now if you have a better “explanation”, I’d be interested to know “why” you think this possibility is “dubious.”And why you believe altitude sensors in windy conditions over a body of water are so reliable. I will look at the logs. I’ve watched the video many times and remember it clearly. Maybe I’ll share the logs if they help clarify anything.

I don’t understand the basis of your claims. Saying something is dubious doesn’t make it dubious, unless you explain what about it makes it dubious.
What makes it dubious is that:
1. it's just not something that is observed in drones flying in the natural environment
2. it's a convenient "explanation" that you've latched onto without any proof in the form of recorded flight data to confirm it.

Anyways, it was the end of the afternoon and I got a notification saying that *all* of the Mavic 3’s anti-collision sensors were turned off. Besides that, it was over a body of water. And my basic understanding is that sensors that help maintain altitude might be less reliable over a body of water.
Your basic understanding is not correct.
Obstacle avoidance sensors have no part in altitude stability.
Also the downward facing sensors would only be affected down close to water, and that would only affect horizontal stability.

It was also windy. And the explanation (without quotation marks) given by the diagrams posted here is the most plausible.
And if you could provide the recorded flight data, I'd be most interested to see what that says about your incident rather than accepting that someone's dubious guess fits what you want to believe.
I was there. And I’m telling you these diagrams make what I experienced clearer. Now if you have a better “explanation”, I’d be interested to know “why” you think this possibility is “dubious.”And why you believe altitude sensors in windy conditions over a body of water are so reliable.
I fly almost exclusively over the ocean, often in quite windy conditions.

Thousands of miles doing that and analysing the data from hundreds of flight incidents, tell me not to believe the explanation that you've accepted without seeing confirming evidence to support it as it seems extremely unlikely and there are other potential explanations that are more likely.
Maybe I’ll share the logs if they help clarify anything.
Maybe?
If you are interested to find out what actually happened, that should be the first thing you do.

I find the drones using the higher voltages tend to take the wind Headon much better, my 4S drones like the P3/4 and M2 fared much better than the 3S drones like the MA2/2S, MP etc
The mini is only a 2S drone so does expectedly worse in a headwind. Sure it might hold position okay but if you fly it out in a downwind to take some photos you might find it doesn't have enough power to return

My expectation is that a 6S quad like the DJI FPV and others would take the wind head on much better than either of the above-mentioned but I never owned or tested one.

I find the drones using the higher voltages tend to take the wind Headon much better, my 4S drones like the P3/4 and M2 fared much better than the 3S drones like the MA2/2S, MP etc
The mini is only a 2S drone so does expectedly worse in a headwind. Sure it might hold position okay but if you fly it out in a downwind to take some photos you might find it doesn't have enough power to return

My expectation is that a 6S quad like the DJI FPV and others would take the wind head on much better than either of the above-mentioned but I never owned or tested one.
In general, higher voltage drones have higher top speeds (but top speed for 3S and 4S Phantoms was identical)
Top speed is the one thing that matters for a drone's ability to fight against wind.

Reactions: Cw4bray
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones