DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How cold is too cold?

Genzeka

Reactions
I’m considering taking my drone out during the winter months but I would like to know how cold is too cold? I rather not have it act weird or crash because of the cold.

Reactions: Msvh
I am in Canada. I received my Mavic in November of last year, so I have had a full winter with it.
I set my limit to -15 deg. C and have had a number of flights at that temperature. No issues at all with the Mavic, the controller or my (then) iPad mini 4. It should be able to go lower, but I just draw the line at this point and won’t try to discover what the breaking point is.

I’ve found the iPad mini freezes and become useless before the Mavic does. My first flight was in February last year in sub freezing Chicago.

Reactions: Genzeka
I’ve found the iPad mini freezes and become useless before the Mavic does. My first flight was in February last year in sub freezing Chicago.
lol i was thinking try using hand warmers to heat it up

I tested it at 6 degrees F.

Reactions: silver1 and Genzeka
From Michigan.

I find the limiting factor to be my fingers. When it's below freezing my fingers give up before mavic does.

I've flown down to 10 degrees without issue.

for increased safety, I do try to land with lots of spare battery, like 30 or even 50%.

I keep batteries on the defrosters or in my pocket prior to the flight.

I've seen insulation or hot packs you can stick on the outside of the battery to improve cold weather performance. You can also use these to increase the life of your phone or tablet.

I have had my phone turn off a couple times in cold weather.

I find the limiting factor to be my fingers. When it's below freezing my fingers give up before mavic does.
Same here. I have some fingertip free gloves, but those don't keep my fingers from freezing :D

It's not a question of the outdoor temp at all. So any "testing" done based on this is 100% pointless.

It's a question of battery temp. At certain temps the Mavic's thrust will be limited. Below that and the Mavic won't start at all.

It can be -100F and if the batteries are about 32F, the Mavic won't start.

It's not a question of the outdoor temp at all. So any "testing" done based on this is 100% pointless.

It's a question of battery temp. At certain temps the Mavic's thrust will be limited. Below that and the Mavic won't start at all.

It can be -100F and if the batteries are about 32F, the Mavic won't start.

Hmmm. . . great idea for a test. I tested in 6 degrees, and it worked fine, but the batteries were sitting inside. So tomorrow (17 degree low for us) I'll leave the battery out for a while and test it out!

Hmmm. . . great idea for a test. I tested in 6 degrees, and it worked fine, but the batteries were sitting inside. So tomorrow (17 degree low for us) I'll leave the battery out for a while and test it out!

I've been working up a plan for a video and I plan on putting the batteries in the freezer and testing their temp with an infrared meter. The Go 4 app will also let you know the temp of the battery.

From Michigan.

I've flown down to 10 degrees without issue.

for increased safety, I do try to land with lots of spare battery, like 30 or even 50%.

I keep batteries on the defrosters or in my pocket prior to the flight.

I've seen insulation or hot packs you can stick on the outside of the battery to improve cold weather performance. You can also use these to increase the life of your phone or tablet.

I have had my phone turn off a couple times in cold weather.
I bought a pair of conductive gloves that will work on any LCD screen

probably placing a hand warmer pack on the battery would keep the battery at a good temp. I flew last night and had a notice that the ambient temp was too low, flew anyway and it seemed the battery depleted sooner than usual.

(Covered extensively in other threads)

1) Keep the batteries and Mavic warm before flight.
2) The battery and the Mavic will keep themselves warm enough during the flight.
3) Swap out with another warm battery if you want to keep flying.
4) Fly from inside your vehicle with the heater running!

I have flown down to -20C (-4F) with this procedure. No problems.

So, tomorrow has come and gone! What were your results?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d