DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How damaged is a blade before it’s garbage?

Pilotjake

Reactions
Here’s a pic of a recent blade I replaced. Snagged on a tree branch. I usually replace right away at any sign even a scratch. Was wondering if this (picture) is truly garbage or I’m being over carful?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 602
Reactions: old man mavic
Here’s a pic of a recent blade I replaced. Snagged on a tree branch. I usually replace right away at any sign even a scratch. Was wondering if this (picture) is truly garbage or I’m being over carful?
no you are not being too cautious,that sort of damage will progress in time and its cheaper to replace a blade than a whole drone

The RPMs and stresses on those props in flight are pretty substantial. ANY structural damage can put it at risk...

I think the trick is determining if it is cosmetic or if it is structural damage. Cosmetic it's ok to fly, structural it is not. But if in doubt, always fall to the side of caution and consider it structural. That one, I would say, is definitely structural.

Edit: My definition of structural damage is if any material is missing or cracked. i.e. chip, gouge, cracks are structural. Cosmetic examples might be a little paint transfer, very minor scratches, etc. Even with these, make sure you inspect it VERY closely.

Last edited:
Agree, even a small nic is enough as the propeller is under enormous stresses and forces, it will fail when you least expect it, regular inspection of of edges and the root of the blade is a good practice as well as before and after each flight, also replace as a pair.

That one is a goner for sure, anything nicked, or any sign of cracking, even if not gone through, flex them before flight and look carefully for this.

Generally, if you ask yourself the question (is this ok ?) then it's best to just replace.
Better for peace of mind rather than flying and always questioning in your mind if it's going to break this flight.

I always cringe a bit watching those YouTube tests, where they damage a prop really badly on a stick etc, or deliberately cut to heck one or two props, then fly.
It looks impressive, but gives people the idea it's possible or ok in some cases.

edit typo

Last edited:
I’d never use a damaged blade. In fact I generally only fly about 15 to 20 hrs before replacing a set. Other than pilot error prop failure is number on cause of crashes. Inspect often.

A chip in a blade is in the garbage as far as I’m concern. I don’t like to leave things to chance. I have to take into account everything else that can go wrong and is going on in the atmosphere. What I can control I do. I always have 5 sets at all times.

Reactions: Bob L
I agree with everyone. Replace -- My second question is more around replacing the pair of blades. In the instructions that come with the replacement blades it says to change to the whole pair when replacing one. Does everyone do that?

i would say that it says to replace the pair even if only one is damaged ,purly for a safety reason
,for me if the right front prop was damaged from an impact as it was going forwards i would change both front props as there could be hidden damage from the impact
for the same reason if the front prop was damaged by an impact as it was going sideways ,then i would change both props on the same side instead
at the end of the day the props are what keeps it in the air and need to be in tip top condition at all times, hence inspecting them during routine airframe checks
there may be those reading this thinking,this guy is over the top with all this inspection lark ,but just remember as the PIC any damage to people or property is down to you

Reactions: Thomas B
I fly the MPP.

I keep a set of sightly damaged ones(some tip damage or missing tips) for low flying (no more than 30 feet off the ground) around trees and bushes on construction sites and homes and practicing maneuvers, a new set does not last long around tress anyway.

Any high flying or long flights get a fresh set and do a per-flight run up and maneuver test. A new set for $25 seams cheep if you have to hike and search for a couple of hours to find your downed Quad.

Funny story, The only crash I have ever had was right after I replaced some slightly damaged props with OEM DJI props. One prop exploded during my per-flight run up and maneuver test 10 feet off the ground. Crashed hard on the pavement and broke one rear arms off.

I keep a set of sightly damaged ones(some tip damage or missing tips) for low flying (no more than 30 feet off the ground) around trees and bushes on construction sites and homes and practicing maneuvers, a new set does not last long around tress anyway.

Any high flying or long flights get a fresh set and do a pre-flight run up and maneuver test. A new set for $25 seams cheep if you have to hike and search for a couple of hours to find your downed Quad.

Funny story, The olny crash I have ever had was right after I replaced some slightly damaged props with OEM DJI props. One prop exploded during my per-flight run up and maneuver test 10 feet off the ground. Crashed hard on the paveemnt and broke one rear arms off.

EW! That's awful! Could you see any defects at all in the new prop's? That would be a pretty sad day!

EW! That's awful! Could you see any defects at all in the new prop's? That would be a pretty sad day!
No visible damage, strait out of the box, strait from DJI. ? I have care refresh so, 10 days later and $85, I hade a brand new one.

8 sets later, no another problems.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones