DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How damaged is a blade before it’s garbage?

Personally if I had a prop that was even nicked it would get replaced. Actually out of all the years I’ve been flying drones I have never even had to replace any of the props.

No visible damage, strait out of the box, strait from DJI. ? I have care refresh so, 10 days later and $85, I hade a brand new one.

8 sets later, no another problems.

I have the refresh as well... That being said. If a person did not have the refresh and your unit went down because of a defective BRAND NEW Prop... Would they cover that in any way?

If a drone went down because of a bad prop i’m sure there’s gonna be more damage than just a prop to worry about. And if not I would count your blessings and just buy a new prop as cheap as they are.

Last edited:
Here’s a pic of a recent blade I replaced. Snagged on a tree branch. I usually replace right away at any sign even a scratch. Was wondering if this (picture) is truly garbage or I’m being over carful?
I would say garbage! And be sure to look carefully at all of the other blades, may be some small hairline cracks. Your initial investment is much much more than the cost of a new set of props. Disregard this if you are one that risk taking isn't really a big deal. IMHO.

Agree with the comments posted. That prop is gone:- no question.
In the early period after I bought my M2P (2018), I changed all props after 10 hours logged flying time. Now I am more comfortable with a 20 hour cycle.
Each set (2 pair) that has been replaced is kept as emergency spares for the next 20 hours. If for some reason I had to reuse those props, my plan would be to swap all props.
Nowadays, I have both an M2P and M2Z and do not mix props between either.
All a bit OTT? Maybe.
Quads do not fly very well at all on 3 good props and one unbalanced prop! So, comparing the cost for 2 pair of props every twenty hours of flying, against the cost of replacing a crashed airframe because of some sort of misguided economic gain; to me is an absolute no-brainer.

Happy and safe flying ? ;) Thumbswayup

So far I have 11:32 on my New Mavic Zoom. The props look like brand spankin new.

Every 20 hours seems like a lot? I look very carefully at mine and check the pivot points aren't getting loose. But, I would rather be on the totally safe side when it comes to my Mav. Ya wouldn't wanna see a grown man cry. right?

Wondering about manufacture.
There are many 'knock-offs" on line that look just like DJI when placed alongside for comparison.
Am I fooling myself just for a few dollars to use these?
I haven't yet (no at all confident with a set I had have)!
Seeking 'user' advice...thanks from Down Under

So far I have 11:32 on my New Mavic Zoom. The props look like brand spankin new.

Every 20 hours seems like a lot? I look very carefully at mine and check the pivot points aren't getting loose. But, I would rather be on the totally safe side when it comes to my Mav. Ya wouldn't wanna see a grown man cry. right?
I check the locking clips, prop integrity, and swing hinge point brads before every flight/battery.

Reactions: Jetdriver100
I agree with Thomas. Check your locking clips on the propellers. I have also a spark and all looked good. I was doing the IMU cal and had to remove the propellers and when I took them off 2 of the blades had the clips broken even it flew well. Now I check more often.

Wondering about manufacture.
There are many 'knock-offs" on line that look just like DJI when placed alongside for comparison.
Am I fooling myself just for a few dollars to use these?
I haven't yet (no at all confident with a set I had have)!
Seeking 'user' advice...thanks from Down Under

Some of the knock off sites even say genuine DJI props, use DJI pics.

I'd only buy them from the DJI site myself, I think the last M1P ones I bought were like $24 a set ?
They were the MPP 8331 props.

M2P may be a little dearer, but they are still reasonably priced.
You probably know the DJI site has them in pairs, so you buy 2 sets for a full replacement.

Just checked M1P now $17 a pair.

I agree with Thomas. Check your locking clips on the propellers. I have also a spark and all looked good. I was doing the IMU cal and had to remove the propellers and when I took them off 2 of the blades had the clips broken even it flew well. Now I check more often.

By locking clips. Are we talking the springs pushing upward keeping the prop's in place?

No. Talking about the three lugs on the prop hub that engages the motor. Of course w/o the spring tension they are nonfunctional.

Got it! Just looked! I see exactly what we are talking about. I haven't taken my props off in 11 hours. Figured it would just be that much more ware and tear on springs. Guess I will start to check more often

Got it! Just looked! I see exactly what we are talking about. I haven't taken my props off in 11 hours. Figured it would just be that much more ware and tear on springs. Guess I will start to check more often

I leave mine on too, doesn't seem to have been an issue.
They've been on at least a year now, just inspect them in place.

I suspect leaving some props on might be an issue, like the mini in a storage bag etc.
They might be prone to distortion under constant pressure.
That would be a pain as they are screwed on and sue special loctite from what I've read.
Obviously the intent bu DJI was to leave them fitted due to the loctite, can't imagine one would be expected to do this when fitting each time you want to fly.

Reactions: Jetdriver100
I take my props off at the end of each day of flying. I store with them off. Others don’t. I started doing this after I had a motor jammed by one of the prop clips which had broken off.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I take my props off at the end of each day of flying. I store with them off. Others don’t. I started doing this after I had a motor jammed by one of the prop clips which had broken off.

I remember you posting about that previously.

It might be wise for pilots to assess how tight their drones are in whatever bag they have.
I know if I was using my flymore bag, it'd be a struggle to get the std gear in there.

The compartments I have in the LowePro backpack are movable, but being setup from the manufacturer for the M1P, it goes in nice and just snug, with a strap across the partitions to hold securely.

I remember you posting about that previously.

It might be wise for pilots to assess how tight their drones are in whatever bag they have.
I know if I was using my flymore bag, it'd be a struggle to get the std gear in there.

The compartments I have in the LowePro backpack are movable, but being setup from the manufacturer for the M1P, it goes in nice and just snug, with a strap across the partitions to hold securely.
I mostly use the PGYTECH OneMo Backpack... still have the routine.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga