DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I adjust the EV meter?

Ripper7620

Reactions
My whites are getting completely blown out irregardless of other settings, and it's been recommended that I adjust the EV meter downward, however, it absolutely will not budge up or down. What do I have to do to properly adjust it? Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.
P.S. I'm using a Polar Pro ND16-PL, and set to sunny.

My whites are getting completely blown out irregardless of other settings, and it's been recommended that I adjust the EV meter downward, however, it absolutely will not budge up or down. What do I have to do to properly adjust it? Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.
P.S. I'm using a Polar Pro ND16-PL, and set to sunny.
The right-hand wheel, opposite the gimbal control wheel and below the photo button.

Reactions: Ripper7620
The right-hand wheel, opposite the gimbal control wheel and below the photo button.
Thank you for the quick reply, that's exactly what I thought of right after I posted, however, it's adjusting my shutter speed when I adjust it. There must be some way to adjust the function of the control wheel, however, I have not been able to figure it out.

If you're in manual it adjusts shutter speed, and the EV is an indication, not a setting. AKA you have to adjust ISO, shutter and/or add filters to get EV around 0 where you want it.
In auto you adjust EV as exposure compensation and it does whatever's needed to get it by itself.

Thank you for the quick reply, that's exactly what I thought of right after I posted, however, it's adjusting my shutter speed when I adjust it. There must be some way to adjust the function of the control wheel, however, I have not been able to figure it out.
Funny, I really want to set mine to control shutter! Want to swap?
I'll see if I can figure it out...

If you're in manual it adjusts shutter speed, and the EV is an indication, not a setting. AKA you have to adjust ISO, shutter and/or add filters to get EV around 0 where you want it.
In auto you adjust EV as exposure compensation and it does whatever's needed to get it by itself.
Ah, so there isn't a way to change what it does other than switching between manual and auto?

Thank you very much, that makes sense. I just noticed that the wheel adjusts both the EV and shutter speed at the same time. I have my shutter set to 50, because I'm filming @24fps.

You might be able to tap on the camera data field on the app and it would switch between ISO and SS. Don't remember if it's the case on the MP. Wouldn't have used it much since you jsut always want lowest ISO anyway.

It looks like I need to invest in a set of Polar Pro ND8-32, or higher.

I just purchased Polar Pro ND32-PL, and ND64-PL filters. If that doesn't tame the white exposure, I don't know what will...

You might be able to tap on the camera data field on the app and it would switch between ISO and SS. Don't remember if it's the case on the MP. Wouldn't have used it much since you jsut always want lowest ISO anyway.
Yes, thank you, I always have the ISO set to 100, as I haven't done any low light/night time shooting yet.

I was shooting in 4K/4096X2160, which only lets you shoot @24fps, and so I switched to 3840X2160/30fps, and I think this will stop the whites from getting totally blown out. I'm going back out to shoot soon as I'm charged back up, and I'll report back.

Update;I'm running @4K 3840X2160, & 30fps, shutter speed @60, in D-log, set to sunny, and Polar Pro ND16-PL, and my whites are still totally blown out. I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong, as the last time I was flying my Mavic PP, I don't remember this problem. On the plus side, the rest of the color spectrum is brilliant, just the whites are a mess. If anyone else is having this problem, I'm sorry I haven't got it sorted, and can't be of any help.

Slow your shutter speed down to get an EV close to zero, then fix it in post. Expose for the sky.

Slow your shutter speed down to get an EV close to zero, then fix it in post. Expose for the sky.
Thank you for the reply, I've tried different shutter speeds, but haven't deviated from having my shutter speed double my frame rate, can I do this?

Thank you very much, that makes sense. I just noticed that the wheel adjusts both the EV and shutter speed at the same time. I have my shutter set to 50, because I'm filming @24fps.

You can assign a custom function to one of the C1/2 buttons (bottom of the remote) to switch between ISO and shutter speed control in manual mode.

Thank you for the reply, I've tried different shutter speeds, but haven't deviated from having my shutter speed double my frame rate, can I do this?
Of course you can. It's only a "best practice for certain scenarios", in most aerial video cases you wouldn't even see the difference.

Of course you can. It's only a "best practice for certain scenarios", in most aerial video cases you wouldn't even see the difference.
Thank you, much appreciated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kokmer