DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I catch my Mavic Air in Mid-Air by hand?

NoblenNutria

Reactions
I have seen people do this in videos and it has worked fine. I tried to catch my Mavic by hand once and the motors spun full blast because I was holding it down. I tried to turn off the battery while holding it and this did not work. So, how is this done? Thanks.

Here are a few ways to hand catch any Mavic drone:

The motors will spin up to try and fly away from your hand. Hold on Tight while you left stick down and hold.

I use extended landing gear and the back one makes a perfect catch handle.

I haven’t “caught” it, but I have landed and taken off from the palm of my hand. It was pretty easy. I just put my flat palm under the drone. When the drone sensed my hand it ascended a few inches. I just pressed down on the left control stick, and after a couple of seconds the drone landed in my hand and the engines shut off. Easy.

I practiced in calm conditions. Not sure how much more difficult it would be in windy conditions.

Reactions: Bobvt and tuscy
I haven’t “caught” it, but I have landed and taken off from the palm of my hand. It was pretty easy. I just put my flat palm under the drone. When the drone sensed my hand it ascended a few inches. I just pressed down on the left control stick, and after a couple of seconds the drone landed in my hand and the engines shut off. Easy.

I practiced in calm conditions. Not sure how much more difficult it would be in windy conditions.

This is the correct method. I've used a few times but don't make a habit of it. No grabbing and turning over!

Reactions: kjcbid54 and Shon
I think hand landing / catching is the best way to "land." Keeps the machine away from debris on the ground. After you get experienced at it, you'll wonder how you ever did it any other way.

I think hand landing / catching is the best way to "land." Keeps the machine away from debris on the ground. After you get experienced at it, you'll wonder how you ever did it any other way.

I worry about what I will do in somewhat windy conditions, but I guess I will get there when I get there...what's a few stitches in the process? LOL

Once you grab it, turn it sideways 90-degrees and the motors will immediately shut down.

I do not recommend this, because before you get to 90 degrees, the drone violently tries to right itself with full motor power - if you lose your grip that is a recipe for disaster, not to mention unnecessary stress put on the drone.

A much smoother way to do it is simply hold the left stick down for 3 seconds, the bottom sensors disable, and the drone very gently descends for you to grab. Keep that left stick down, and 1 second after that the motors shut off without any fighting or reaction from the motors.

I strictly do hand launches/catches, I find it to be the easiest way to do everything safely and consistently regardless of the terrain, I don't have to carry a bulky landing pad that blows around in the wind, and it keeps the drone much cleaner (dirt, sand, etc. are the enemy).

A much smoother way to do it is simply hold the left stick down for 3 seconds, the bottom sensors disable, and the drone very gently descends for you to grab. Keep that left stick down, and 1 second after that the motors shut off without any fighting or reaction from the motors.
I'm guessing you hold your hand out before holding the left stick down for 3 seconds? Otherwise, the drone would continue to descend until it met some type of obstacle.

I'm guessing you hold your hand out before holding the left stick down for 3 seconds? Otherwise, the drone would continue to descend until it met some type of obstacle.

Yup you got it - maneuver it to a few feet above me, hand out, left stick down, and it lands like a feather onto my open hand or into my grasp (I usually just gently grasp it). Works beautifully with both the Air and the Pro 2. The hand launches are extremely smooth as well - just as it starts to lift you remove your hand from underneath and it basically just stays where it is, but without your hand underneath - then off you go.

Land mine on my hand all the time, best way in the UK as its almost always mucky and damp/wet, last thing you want is mudy water splashing into the motors.

Works in wind etc just fine, even done it on a moving boat. Just takes some getting used to.

Reactions: Bobvt and Shon
Land mine on my hand all the time, best way in the UK as its almost always mucky and damp/wet, last thing you want is mudy water splashing into the motors.

Works in wind etc just fine, even done it on a moving boat. Just takes some getting used to.

I got over my intial fear by practicing in a safe environment. Hoping I will feel the same way about catching it in the wind...it is still a relatively new drone to me...still getting my feet wet.

Just don't get the drone at [emoji4]

If one hand is needed to catch/hold the drone (obviously), that leaves only one hand to move the stick while holding the RC stable.

If one hand is needed to catch/hold the drone (obviously), that leaves only one hand to move the stick while holding the RC stable.
Which might be a problem on a very windy day...or if your drone is only flying in atti mode... but generally speaking...even if that were the case...it is easier to move my hand and body to catch the drone than it is to land the drone in a very narrow landing area under these conditions.

I was trying to catch the drone off the end of a short pier the other day... I was very careful to make sure I didn't move under the drone and accidentally step of the edge, LOL. That would have been a video! LOL

That is correct - it's very easy to do with either the standard controller or SmartController. Total non-issue in my experience, as you do not need to touch the right hand stick at all once you have maneuvered the drone roughly above your standing position. If you're at all worried you could install a lanyard or something on the controller so if you drop it, it won't hit the floor. I can't really see that happening under any normal circumstances though.

If it's windy enough to move the drone while it's hovering, it would have been too windy to fly in the first place.

Reactions: Shon
Haha, I saw Casey Niestat do it in a video and tried it myself as I didn't have a flat landing surface.

Attempt #1 - Drone teased me and moved away from my hand. Cue laughter from my daughter.
Attempt #2 - Got the drone but as I was flipping it I managed to slice my fingernail and cut the tip of my finger. Cue even more laughter from my daughter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+