DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I permanently unlock my drone?

Thrillbilly

Reactions
Is there a way to permanently unlock this dodo bird? I just want to fly without its interference. It says there is a payload, but there isn't. It says the wind is too high. "Atti mode" crash. High motor speed, maximum altitude reached, calibration required, maximum distance reached, etc. etc. I can literally keep the thing in sport mode for 30 seconds max. I spend more time just trying to get it to work than flying it. I just want to disable all safety features. I am used to doing this with half the investment: 10000000_214712133244516_2330637242070750709_n.mp4 HELP! Or buy a Mavic Mini Fly more bundle half priced.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: chuckoh and Beet
Sorry your having “issues”. I had tons of “issues” like “R/C not connected to drone” and “Prop spinning too fast” (always Left rear). I think most everyone has had some kind of issues.

My point is with technology, there’s bound to be “glitches”. Try to be patient because when it does work properly, it’s a blast, right?
Continue to reach out here and with DJI for help. Someone always has the answer

Sorry your having “issues”. I had tons of “issues” like “R/C not connected to drone” and “Prop spinning too fast” (always Left rear). I think most everyone has had some kind of issues.

My point is with technology, there’s bound to be “glitches”. Try to be patient because when it does work properly, it’s a blast, right?
Continue to reach out here and with DJI for help. Someone always has the answer
I just want "sport mode" unlocked all the time. No sensors or interference. Then it can be used cinematically because it has a good camera. It has too much latency to be "fun" to just fly. Cinematic is really its only function, so I just want it to quit trying to "think" and just let me fly the thing. Is this possible?

I just want "sport mode" unlocked all the time. No sensors or interference. Then it can be used cinematically because it has a good camera. It has too much latency to be "fun" to just fly. Cinematic is really its only function, so I just want it to quit trying to "think" and just let me fly the thing. Is this possible?
Maybe in a third party app.
Or... get an M2P and flip a switch one time on the drone.

Reactions: wild_matt
Is there a way to permanently unlock this dodo bird? I just want to fly without its interference. It says there is a payload, but there isn't. It says the wind is too high. "Atti mode" crash. High motor speed, maximum altitude reached, calibration required, maximum distance reached, etc. etc. I can literally keep the thing in sport mode for 30 seconds max. I spend more time just trying to get it to work than flying it. I just want to disable all safety features. I am used to doing this with half the investment: 10000000_214712133244516_2330637242070750709_n.mp4 HELP! Or buy a Mavic Mini Fly more bundle half priced.
There should be no need to do anything to "permanently unlock" your Mini.
There are two possibilities .. either you have a lemon, or you aren't doing things properly.
You don't enough detail to tell which might be the issue.

The usual reason for Payload Mode is having prop guards fitted.
Since you didn't give enough information to tell, I'll ask .. do you have prop guards fitted?

Last edited:
Reactions: hiflyer201

have a look at drone-hacks.com

So far it's the only relatively simple way to tweak Mini's parameters.

If you are trying to convert the Mini into the FPV drone shown in your video, I am afraid it will be very difficult if not impossible. The Mini is a camera drone and it is designed to do "cinematic" only. It is possible to disable some of the sensors such as the GPS, bottom camera / IR sensors by covering them up with tapes or metal foil but all other safety features will still be there.

I am not sure if you really want to disable all those features. Take " High motor speed " as an example, it is warning you that some of the props are wrapped. If you ignore it and try to do those extreme maneuvers demonstrated in your video, there is a very high chance that it will just fall out of the sky. This is the well known "Uncommanded descent" problem of the Mini. DJI added the "High motor speed " warning only after the problem was widely reported. Do a search in this forum and you will know the details.

There is a recent rumour that DJI is going to make a FPV drone. Sneak glimpse of likely DJI FPV drone - DroneDJ. May be you can keep an eye on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: hiflyer201
The Mavic Mini is not a FPV racing drone. It's like asking a semi tractor trailer to drive up Pike's Peak with the performance of a Honda street bike. Two different animals.

If that is what you're looking for, I would suggest selling before you damage the Mini trying to get that kind of performance out of it.

If you would like to discuss the errors you are receiving, please be a bit more specific. As to distance and altitude limitations, these are all something you can configure in the settings.

I've had the drone spill into atti mode and freak out/crash and that was most likely due to loss of GPS or not enough GPS connections yet and taking off too soon. (I have not yet looked at the logs to confirm.)

As mentioned the props can be fragile and probably should be replaced if they hit just about anything. They are not designed to take hits and even if they look OK, they can be out-of-spec and cause motor speed issues.

A Mini is not an FPV drone. And you'll never to get it to act like one.

If you're interested in getting it to act like one, it just won't. And a couple of your statements are a bit disturbing. You mention errors like "maximum altitude reached", and "maximum distance reached".

There are two problems here. First, you're either in Beginner Mode, or you're not flying within regulations. If you're errors happen at very short distances (200' or less), you're in Beginner Mode. If they're happening at long distances and/or heights, you're not flying within FAA Regs.

If it's the former, take it out of beginner mode in the app. If it's the latter, please familiarize yourself with the regs. They are there for a reason.

The drone does too many things on it's own and erroneously. It detects payload when there is none, including guards. This is new OEM props. Beginner mode is off, the manual has been read. It takes itself out of sport mode and limits its distances anytime it likes for reasons that often aren't true. Dont even get me started on atti mode. GPS just turn it off all the time. This is a Mavic mini, by the way. I want to turn off performance interruptions permanently, I dont want a toy that thinks it knows how to fly better than I do. Every crash or forced landing it has had was it's own doing. BTW I am a licensed electrical engineer that specializes in systems integrations of software and industrial controls and SCADA systems. I know that what I'm asking for is not provided for by the OEM.

Thanks to the gentleman that suggested the "hacks" link.

This is a Mavic mini, by the way. I want to turn off performance interruptions permanently, I dont want a toy that thinks it knows how to fly better than I do.
As an electrical engineer you should just build your own. I don't understand why you bought a drone that has everything you don't want on it then try to make it fly to your liking. I think you would be better off looking into a cinewhoop to be honest. There are a lot to choose from that are bind and fly. Just strap a gorpo on it and call it a day :)

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
It says there is a payload, but there isn't. It says the wind is too high. "Atti mode" crash. High motor speed, maximum altitude reached, calibration required, maximum distance reached, etc. etc. I can literally keep the thing in sport mode for 30 seconds max.

Are you trying to fly it like your FPV drone? If so, that's not what it's designed to do. It's difficult to know why you're getting all the errors other than following a crash - have you crashed it? The only warnings I get are strong wind (definitely worth noting) and the occasional compass calibration. Sport mode isn't time limited for me. Post one of your log files here and let someone analyse it for possible warranty issues.

Reactions: Thomas B
The drone does too many things on it's own and erroneously. It detects payload when there is none, including guards. This is new OEM props. Beginner mode is off, the manual has been read. It takes itself out of sport mode and limits its distances anytime it likes for reasons that often aren't true. Dont even get me started on atti mode. GPS just turn it off all the time. This is a Mavic mini, by the way. I want to turn off performance interruptions permanently, I dont want a toy that thinks it knows how to fly better than I do. Every crash or forced landing it has had was it's own doing. BTW I am a licensed electrical engineer that specializes in systems integrations of software and industrial controls and SCADA systems. I know that what I'm asking for is not provided for by the OEM.

We still aren't anywhere near solving the issues you are complaining about.
And hacks aren't the solution when you aren't getting the drone to fly normally.
Post 11 mentions one thing that could well be part of the issue.
Have you set up an account with DJI and signed into the account?
You will face some of the limitations you mention if you haven't.

For the rest go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file.

That will help someone to have something to analyse and identify the issue that's holding you up.

....It detects payload when there is none, including guards.
....It takes itself out of sport mode
.... limits its distances anytime it likes for reasons that often aren't true.
.... Dont even get me started on atti mode.
..... GPS just turn it off all the time.....

I have never experienced any of these problems on my Mini. It was crashed at the end because of my own mistake - powering the craft on under magnetic interference. As suggested in other responses, identifying the reasons is a more promising way to solve the problems. I doubt very much if hacking it is the way to go. I have played with these hacking software ( NLD ) . They provide a means for you to change the values of the parameters but that's all. You will need to figure out what the parameters control all by yourself as no documentation is available. You may well end up in creating more problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: HighlandsVideo
I agree with Meta4. If you can provide the flight logs, there are a lot of good people who will take a look and do some troubleshooting for you.

As an electrical engineer you should just build your own. I don't understand why you bought a drone that has everything you don't want on it then try to make it fly to your liking. I think you would be better off looking into a cinewhoop to be honest. There are a lot to choose from that are bind and fly. Just strap a gorpo on it and call it a day :)

I've built 15 drones and have a few whoops. I just didn't realize that something with a premium price tag would be so limited in function. Buyers remorse is an understatement and the drive company seems proud of its "features". I just didn't realize there was a market for something you're not in control of. 20201011_161419.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: drrags and zzxrox
I was in the FPV drone game before deciding that it's not my cup of tea and switching to camera drones. Just wondering why you bought the Mini when you seems to be happy with your collection of FPV drones ?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu