DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you guys deal with birds?

My Mavic.JPG
Hey guys,

As per title, How do you guys deal with birds? especially the ones that circle around your mavic pro.. I've been to multiple locations where birds (seagulls in particular) are such a pain in the butt. They circle around my mavic pro and sometimes dives towards it.

It is now something that I look out for before I launch but honestly I really miss out on great footage because of them :( My heart skips a beat whenever a bird dives down towards my mavic looking like they would want to attack. They do turn around but it still quite scary.

I've had a flight where I took off by the shore because the area looked clear then suddenly a flock of birds came out of nowhere (I am talking about around 20 of them) and literally started chasing my mavic. I had to abort, fly lower altitude and immediately turn around to avoid them and I mean like a HOLY CRAP kind of moment.

I was just wondering what you guys do with them, do you just fly normally or do you also watch out for them like me?

There's a lot of birds where I live and fly. This is how I dealt with them. My bird is bigger than them!

Reactions: tuscan
I live in Nebraska and geese land I'm going a field next to my house. I go chase them all the time with my drone.

A bird hit my mavic today. Luckily nothing happened. It just kind of rotated a bit but maintained position and height.

I'm shooting a show for a national channel and use the Mavic to get shots of local flavour, houses, etc.
Had an encounter with about 50 pigeons that circled and circled the Mavic. Got real close. Post production used the shot where a pigeon just missed getting beheaded! It was an amazing shot, glad I did it. Breathed a big sigh of relief, because of course I don't want to hurt any bird.
Then went to Florida to get close shots of alligators at Myakka Park and there are tonnes of those big black birds around them and lots of cranes. I flew over about 25 gators at about 10'. So many birds! But I held my nerve and got some amazing shots of the reptiles. The birds (think they were some sort of vulture) seemed disinterested but still you never know.
Also, I got that quintessential shot of a heron high up in a lot of trees that flies away beautifully as the Mavic approaches. This "little bird" has breathed new life into me as a shooter and I also have a great new skill and hopefully we win some awards because of it!
Ben you gotta post photos and videos of those gators

Birds of prey are top dog....errm...bird. Remember,you’re flying your mavic in THEIR world,not ours. I agree with the folks who say just land and move on. Besides,it’s not worth injuring a protected species OR losing your investment.

Reactions: Classic flyer
Watch for Hawks they will attack the drone lol

I don't know how to avoid them besides some quick flying hahah

Had two hawk attacks. I just wanted the bird to not be hurt and my drone to not be hurt. I can get another drone but the bird can't get another foot. Both attacks were what seemed like warnings to get out of his territory. Was in sport mode and flew close to the ground back to home point. No damage to either of us.

Had two hawk attacks. I just wanted the bird to not be hurt and my drone to not be hurt. I can get another drone but the bird can't get another foot. Both attacks were what seemed like warnings to get out of his territory. Was in sport mode and flew close to the ground back to home point. No damage to either of us.

Had a couple of hawks circle my phantom once glad they didn’t attack.
d46e8c85973aa7388d0af232e7c2e4c2.jpg

Any attack by a raptor or any other bird has very high costs for the bird - for energy used and possible injury. Please avoid at all costs. Contrary to what many people believe, life for all birds is a real struggle and most live on the edge under tremendous competitive pressure so when a bird expends precious energy attacking or even checking out a drone it puts that bird in danger. Once again, please avoid such situations and fly someplace else.

Here in Australian, there are multiple medium sized birds that can be quite aggressive during spring... some (e.g. magpies) swoop people quite viciously... this video is a pair of currawongs that live in my backyard... they don't swoop me or the neighbours cats that come into the yard, but they haaaate my Mavic and Spark.

Reactions: Jebac
Airline pilot told me they use strobe lights to deter birds. You can buy tiny strobes to strap on Mavic. Has anyone tried it on drone and does it work?

This one did a fly by and then came back around and attacked my MP. I brought it down quickly and did see some nicked props but the bird took off and so did I.

Attachments

• Bird_Drone.jpg
    Bird_Drone.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 58
I was chased briefly by a flock of birds that were camped in some trees. They took off like a swarm and headed for my Mavic. Luckily I had good orientation and sped away from them, with my finger hovering over Sport Mode. They lost interest when I did a vertical max climb out. :) it left me a little shaken. I probably wouldn't care if it was a cheap drone. Lol

Hey guys,

As per title, How do you guys deal with birds? especially the ones that circle around your mavic pro.. I've been to multiple locations where birds (seagulls in particular) are such a pain in the butt. They circle around my mavic pro and sometimes dives towards it.

It is now something that I look out for before I launch but honestly I really miss out on great footage because of them :( My heart skips a beat whenever a bird dives down towards my mavic looking like they would want to attack. They do turn around but it still quite scary.

I've had a flight where I took off by the shore because the area looked clear then suddenly a flock of birds came out of nowhere (I am talking about around 20 of them) and literally started chasing my mavic. I had to abort, fly lower altitude and immediately turn around to avoid them and I mean like a HOLY CRAP kind of moment.

I was just wondering what you guys do with them, do you just fly normally or do you also watch out for them like me?

I will use my traxxas Aton to clear them out before launching mavic

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus