DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you guys deal with birds?

Staz_00

Reactions
Hey guys,

As per title, How do you guys deal with birds? especially the ones that circle around your mavic pro.. I've been to multiple locations where birds (seagulls in particular) are such a pain in the butt. They circle around my mavic pro and sometimes dives towards it.

It is now something that I look out for before I launch but honestly I really miss out on great footage because of them :( My heart skips a beat whenever a bird dives down towards my mavic looking like they would want to attack. They do turn around but it still quite scary.

I've had a flight where I took off by the shore because the area looked clear then suddenly a flock of birds came out of nowhere (I am talking about around 20 of them) and literally started chasing my mavic. I had to abort, fly lower altitude and immediately turn around to avoid them and I mean like a HOLY CRAP kind of moment.

I was just wondering what you guys do with them, do you just fly normally or do you also watch out for them like me?

Watch for Hawks they will attack the drone lol

I don't know how to avoid them besides some quick flying hahah

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
I'm pretty sure if you stand your ground (so to speak) they will back off. If not there's not much they can do without taking a good whack on foot or beak from a prop. I've taken a couple on the thumb myself and it ain't a peasant experience.

Reactions: Mred32
It has been said on here a few times to go higher as they can't dive upwards

I always wonder if a certain skin will scare them off.

That is a good point, but 100m is the highest I can go legally. and at that altitude there are still some birds that circle around.

I'm pretty sure if you stand your ground (so to speak) they will back off. If not there's not much they can do without taking a good whack on foot or beak from a prop. I've taken a couple on the thumb myself and it ain't a peasant experience.

That is what I thought as well. I guess i just don't want my MP to fall out of the sky due to a bird attack lol

This works for most birds, but it only angers predatory birds and makes them attack harder. If you see a hawk or eagle it's best to avoid confrontation or land if they start circling near it.

I've only had my drone 3 weeks but the Hawks got my buddies phantom pro 1 a bunch

That is a good point, but 100m is the highest I can go legally. and at that altitude there are still some birds that circle around.
Big birds of prey can be circling even at 6000m.

Best is to avoid circling birds of prey all together. Fly somewhere else if you spot them in the area. They are incredibly territorial and can grab a Mavic without problem. The dutch Police experimented with trained eagles to grab small and medium sized (Phantom class) drones out of the sky. It worked well although they had to seize the experiment because animal rights organisations had a good lobby at the government (good thing!).

Use something like this to scare them, or bright color such as bright red

It works
Maybe for non predators but the bigger birds of prey are very aware of their rank in the food chain. They just don't accept any competitor in their skies, regardless of color, other than their partner and offspring.

A friend of mine went on holidays, and sent me one of the drone photos taken in Macedonia.

Scary, isn't it ..?!

id1NTwf.jpg

There are actually tons of YouTube videos of drones getting attacked, seems super common!

Reactions: SiLites
Never go down - as already mentioned the birds can swoop downwards but not upwards. For that reason, my first manoeuvre is to kick her into sport mode and go straight up. Due to the increased rpm of the motors you’ll have a higher chance of coming out on top should a bird still manage to go into your path and make contact with the blades.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe