DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you guys deal with Children when flying?

OK, my solution was to get them involved. The Mavic Pro is so easy to fly so I get them over and let them fly, under my close supervision (beginner's mode). While doing it I explain their responsibilities. So now they have become drone pilots and in my experience they become part of the action.

Dogs are another hazard I wasn't prepared for. A neighbor was letting her border collies get some exercise in the field were I usually fly and they went NUTS! I had to land because they wouldn't stop chasing it and barking like it was a terminator.

Just point in a direction away from you and yell "THE FREE CANDY TRUCK IS HERE - THE FREE CANDY TRUCK IS HERE!"
They should disperse immediately.

Once I was landing my drone and as soon as I landed, a kid toddled over and picked me it up and dropped it( his father was yelling “no!”). Luckily, it was only from his height(1 ft) and right way ip

Dogs are another hazard I wasn't prepared for. A neighbor was letting her border collies get some exercise in the field were I usually fly and they went NUTS! I had to land because they wouldn't stop chasing it and barking like it was a terminator.

Our dog really gets into it. Whenever I have the drone she is right on me.

Reactions: Qoncussion
I carry Feen-A-Mint chewing gum with me for cases like this. After crewing the gum for a little while, the kids want their parents to take them home right a way.

Might work for dogs too.

Reactions: zero1981
I think you did about all you could. At that point I'd probably land safely, wait for them to leave, or pack up and wait for another day.

Unfortunately, there is not a lot one can do, if parents aren't going to take responsibility for their kids.

You can bet he'd be going after you, if one of them got hurt.
Awww! I LOVE children - especially on toast!

Reactions: Qoncussion
That may be seen as child abuse...just saying

I don’t know about that. Back when I used to fly my Align Trex 450 V2 at the local park, the kids could get pretty obnoxious.

What was really fun was was when some guy would come by with his dog, and the dog would stick his nose up your a**.

For those readers who don’t know what a Trex 450 is. It’s a medium sized RC Helicopter that uses a 3 cell 2200 LiPo battery that flies about seven minutes per flight. I put 550+ flights on it over about three years. That’s about 65 hours of actual air time. After about ten major crashes, I think there’s still one original part on the copter, the motor mount.

RC Copters are different than DJI Drones in that if you lose sight of it, or take yours hands off the sticks, it will crash. Your total concentration is on that aircraft 100% of your time during that flight. So it can be really annoying to have someone come and try to talk to you during the flight, or have things going on behind you that you can’t see.

Last edited:
My mistake, I thought all parks with rangers were off limits. Didn’t know there were designated areas. Good to know.

You can't fly in National Parks here in the U.S. The rules at State and local parks are up to the various States and localities. Thank goodness! Where I live, I'm almost completely surrounded by a State regional park. There would be no backyard flying for me if the State where I live decided to ban drone overflights.

I don’t know about that. Back when I used to fly my Align Trex 450 V2 at the local park, the kids could get pretty obnoxious.

What was really fun was was when some guy would come by with his dog, and the dog would stick his nose up your a**.

For those readers who don’t know what a Trex 450 is. It’s a medium sized RC Helicopter that uses a 3 cell 2200 LiPo battery that flies about seven minutes per flight. I put 550+ flights on it over about three years. That’s about 65 hours of actual air time. After about ten major crashes, I think there’s still one original part on the copter, the motor mount.

RC Copters are different than DJI Drones in that if you lose sight of it, or take yours hands off the sticks, it will crash. Your total concentration is on that aircraft 100% of your time during that flight. So it can be really annoying to have someone come and try to talk to you during the flight, or have things going on behind you that you can’t see.
That may be so but to drug kids or even advocate drugging them is totally unacceptable

Show them this picture on your phone and ask if they would like to be a pirate for Halloween.
lost eye.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom