DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you handle people who tell you you're not allowed to fly your drone, when you know it's allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EpicFlight I feel you. I don't want to either but I kinda have to. And it's only for LEOs. I do not provide this to ordinary nosy people.
Have you ever encountered an LEO while flying or heard about such an encounter?

Also please forgive me if this seems offensive, but I looked at your profile photo and so I ask do you think white supremacy racism may play a role in your wanting to be prepared? Really I hate to ask this, but I'm such an anti-racist I have to ask.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Have you ever encountered an LEO while flying or heard about such an encounter?

Also please forgive me if this seems offensive, but I looked at your profile photo and so I ask do you think white supremacy racism may play a role in your wanting to be prepared? Really I hate to ask this, but I'm such an anti-racist I have to ask.
No, I haven't encountered any LEOs while flying. Mostly I fly in the desert and mountains out here in the Inland Empire. The reason for my being overly prepared is two fold; knowledge is king when yielded with the right tongue and (secondly) because of my personal experiences with law enforcement from my teenage years to present. Never been arrested, detained, suspected (not officially) or convicted. I just try to stay on their good side but some things just don't matter to some of them.

Yesterday someone approached me as I was landing and told me I wasn't allowed to fly my drone where I was, but I knew it was allowed. I won't get into the details of why I think I was allowed and the other person didn't think so, because that's not the point of this question. My question is about how you handle people who approach you like this. I imagine this has happened to many other folks. What did you do or would you do?
Last Fall, I had a new neighbor challenge my flying of my drone in the airspace over my house. I landed the drone and asked him to exit my property. I flew the drone again the same day and continue to use it. In January, his house and another suffered minor roof damage from wind. He asked if I would use my drone to get some photos of his roof. I suggested that he engage the services of a ladder.

EpicFlight I feel you. I don't want to either but I kinda have to. And it's only for LEOs. I do not provide this to ordinary nosy people.
Are you flying 107?

I'm talking strictly recreational... my approach would be much tighter, more formal, and with "extra effort" for a 107 mission.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Are you flying 107?

I'm talking strictly recreational... my approach would be much tighter, more formal, and with "extra effort" for a 107 mission.
Yes. I was the exact same as you recreationally . . . since the 107 I've become more professional.

Last Fall, I had a new neighbor challenge my flying of my drone in the airspace over my house. I landed the drone and asked him to exit my property. I flew the drone again the same day and continue to use it. In January, his house and another suffered minor roof damage from wind. He asked if I would use my drone to get some photos of his roof. I suggested that he engage the services of a ladder.
I thought this was headed for a happy ending . . . I didn't expect the outcome (however I do agree with your prognosis) 😆

I've got approached by people saying that I'm not allowed to fly many times. Mainly I think that happens because sometimes I decide to fly from a pretty strange location, for example I take off just from a beach (hand launching), or near a street with people. Yes, it is legal in Spain before anyone tries to say that I'm breaking the laws, flying over people (but not over groups of people) is legal in Spain.

I don't care much about people approaching me, some people here said that they fly from a hidden location or similar, I don't like that because it looks shady. When someone approaches me, I handle it differently depending on if the person approaching me is calm and respectful or not. And I can say from my experience, most people who approach you for drone flying, are not very respectful. Two people already claimed I'm spying on them (which is obviously not true).
But I also had some people approaching that were chill, for example, the other day a guy approached just I have landed my drone in my hand near a beach and said respectfully that I might not be allowed to fly there, he just wanted to warn me so I didn't have any problems, that's what he said. I was actually allowed to fly there, and what he probably meant is that I'm not allowed to fly over people, but in Spain it is allowed. I didn't want to argue, just said “Thanks for the advice, but I'm flying legally and will not have any issues with anyone” and he just walked away. Also, a handful of people asked about my drone, how does it fly, and the specs.

Same as most, I expect, I have a copy of the local laws re. drones on my phone and as a hardcopy if there's a suitable "cribsheet" like the UK's Drone Code. I tend to fly in more remote areas, and typically around sunrise/sunset when the light is better though, so I don't get approached too often, and when I do it's usually another photographer or some other member of the public that is more curious than anything else, but I have had a few officals like council workers and the like approach me as well. More often than not in my experience the reason for the approach is curiousity rather than anything else, but I'm well aware that there are plenty of misinformed busybodies out there as well.

Regardless, I always keep calm and polite at all times, explain what I'm doing and why (most likely landscape photography), show them some footage, and usually then have a quick discussion about drones since the odds are good that they won't have seen one operating up close before. So far, I've not had anyone saying I can't fly in an area where I know that I can but, if I did, it would be a judgement call on how hard to push it based on who it was, how badly I wanted the shot, and whether I was already airborne or not. (The VLOS requirement is a pretty good argument for NOT engaging directly with people if already up; "Sorry, but I'm legally required to keep my eyes on the aircraft for safety reasons and can't really talk to you right now..."). I certainly wouldn't just fold, but if they were being really difficult about it, then I'd more than likely just move on or wait them out while shooting with a conventional camera - as a landscape photographer I have a *LOT* of patience. ;)

My typical mode of operation is to try to find a take off and landing location that is away from prying eyes. It not only avoids potential confrontation but it keeps "curious" onlookers from distracting you while you are flying. I have just found this to be the easiest way to to avoid any hassles from the general public.

Reactions: Dangerly
Thanks PRD, you gave me an idea. I'm thinking I'll print out everything I can find to support my position that I'm allowed to fly in a particular location, put it in a hard-bound notebook labeled "Why I'm allowed to fly here" and leave it plainly visible where I'm flying. As I fly in new locations, I could add new sections to this notebook. The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. It would be a good exercise to do anyway I think.
I like that idea, too, but I would not let a person ignorant of the rules ruin my day. I would have politely told them that I am allowed to fly there and ask them to be patient and allow me to finish my flight. Proverbs 15:1-2.

Reactions: barrybcar
Yesterday someone approached me as I was landing and told me I wasn't allowed to fly my drone where I was, but I knew it was allowed. I won't get into the details of why I think I was allowed and the other person didn't think so, because that's not the point of this question. My question is about how you handle people who approach you like this. I imagine this has happened to many other folks. What did you do or would you do?
Watch PJ Audits on YouTube, he goes out and always has people come up to him.

I do several Part 107 flights per week and have been approached only a handful of times. ALL of the encounters were by curious onlookers. No one ever questioned me about the legality of it. Depending on where a particular job is, I do several things that I hope will lessen the chances of an unpleasant encounter:

1. I dress professionally
2. I use my "good" car rather than my beater. I'd actually prefer to drive my beater, but again, this is all in the interests of not getting hassled.
3. This is the most important one. I WEAR A SAFETY VEST. It doesn't say FAA Pilot on it or anything pretentious like that, but I believe it might make me look much more legit.

Reactions: drakkor
The only time i experienced anything negative was when i was flying over a skate park. One of the kids yelled "get that F'ing thing outta here!" and threw a shoe at my drone. I pretty much did what he said before anything escalated.

I have a Cardinal Rule! Never let them see you take off! It solves a whole bunch of problems!

Reactions: Eagle Eye 62
The only time i experienced anything negative was when i was flying over a skate park. One of the kids yelled "get that F'ing thing outta here!" and threw a shoe at my drone. I pretty much did what he said before anything escalated.
He wouldn’t have gotten that Shoe back!

Why I bring my big pit bull with me. People don't usually bother me then. :)
I've thought about taking my boxer/shepherd mix along, but can't figure out how to manage him and the drone at the same time. I figure he's friendly enough to distract anyone who might bother me, but since his greetings are sometimes a bit over enthusiastic for some people it could be districting for me...

In a previous reply I gave a curt answer, which really doesn't reflect the way that I've handled things before and I thought a second reply might be more helpful.

We KNOW that at some point in time we're going to be hassled/challenged by some ignorant do-gooder, busy-body or obstinate curmudgeon. As a rule, I make it a point to do my research about the area in which I intend to fly and often, if not usually print out the local rules as well as having the FAA regs all printed out. When flying on private property I make it a point to contact the owner/manager of the facility, even if it is to get tacit permission to fly over, letting them know my intent. This goes a long way, especially for super specially sites.

I keep the rules/notes/emails printed in my backpack. If challenged I can whip out the print-outs without saying a word and hand it to whomever challenges me. An example is that I was filming Bahai House of Worship in Wilmette Illinois. They have a hard "no drone" policy, going through the proper channels I was able to get written permission. On one day I was filiming I was approached by their security guard who said drones weren't allowed on the property. Without saying a work I reached in my back pocket, pulled out the email providing permission and handed it to him. He took about 10 seconds to read it and said "Thank you. Have a nice day".

Having prepared printouts of rules/regs is a good way to defang a harasser. If that doesn't work, as in my earlier reply I will take the discussion to the next level or beyond. I hate bullies that just want to try to exercise authority that they do not have. I guess at my age I have a very low tolerance for BS. But again, I try to keep things cordial if possible, and it is up to the other fellow to decide how far he wants to escalate a confrontation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard