DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

how do you handle visibility of the phone screen in broad daylight ??

The official DJI hood is great to block out the sun, I like how it mounts on the antenna stalks and doesn't block the control sticks like some other designs which sit closer to or on the phone

I had the exact opposite experience, I tried mine only twice, did not help at all. Probably something around the phone would be much better.

I will try some version of modified googles (need something cheap), as discussed in this thread: 2D Goggles so I can use DJI Go 4?

I modified a cheap pair of 3d goggles, getting switching the lenses for +5 reading glasses and extending the focal plane.

I will also try this Visor X: https://www.gearbest.com/electronics-gadgets/pp_009701173189.html
I can confirm that the Visor X works very well. It provides a full screen resolution image for both eyes like looking at a big screen TV rather than looking through binoculars. I have tried a lot of goggles and I prefer these.

This is more of a phone question than a drone question, but since the phone is so... ehhh... integral to the process, I think it is relevant to discuss here. If it has already been discussed, feel free to point me to other threads.

So this is something that I'm already struggling with; when I get outside, the DJI 4 Go screen is *very* difficult to read, even on max brightness. I'm also thinking of switching to my 10" Galaxy Tab A, which would be Wonderful for this application !! I have new mounting system on order for it.

So how do others solve this problem?? Do you put a cloth over your head?? Or just memorize where everything is, so you can work blind???
Enquiring Minds Want To Know...
I took the 10” Galaxy Tab A approach. Works great.

• Love
Reactions: Gorlash
In addition to a sunshield get a matte anti-glare screen-protector for your phone/tablet. They are made of a film And you get 4-5 of them for less than $10. Don’t use the tempered glass ones.

If possible I fly from in my SUV with the hatch open (summer) in winter I stay in the cab with heater running. When riding around I normally use my body to block the sun or duck under a tree or something.
As far as the phone the best and brightest on the market from what I have read is the LG ThinQ which is rated at 1200 pins and the Crystal sky is 1500 so pretty close. I just ordered one so we will see. The sun hoods also work well but can be clumsy.

This is more of a phone question than a drone question, but since the phone is so... ehhh... integral to the process, I think it is relevant to discuss here. If it has already been discussed, feel free to point me to other threads.

So this is something that I'm already struggling with; when I get outside, the DJI 4 Go screen is *very* difficult to read, even on max brightness. I'm also thinking of switching to my 10" Galaxy Tab A, which would be Wonderful for this application !! I have new mounting system on order for it.

So how do others solve this problem?? Do you put a cloth over your head?? Or just memorize where everything is, so you can work blind???

I use this anti-glare screen protector on my iPhone 11 Pro Max, it seems to help in most conditions...
Mothca Matte Screen Protector Compatible with iPhone Xs/iPhone X/iPhone 11 Pro Anti-Glare & Anti-Fingerprint Tempered Glass Clear Film Case Friendly 3D Touch Bubble Free for iPhone Xs/X/11 Pro https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076LY6L19/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HahlEbPZ3YMNC

Ummm, the CS is not the brightest monitor out there. It is the heaviest and the most expensive but there is another option, one which I choose. I bought the SC and then I bought a 7 inch screen that is normally sold as a video filming monitor which uses the HDMI port of the SC. The screen is brighter, at 2,200 nits, than the CS super bright which is only 2,000 nits. It is also lighter than the CS and much, much less expensive. I bought mine from ebay as an open box and it cost me $177. You can find them new at B&H for about $235. and they use the old Sony batteries. I bought a 3D printed mount off ebay for $44 so now I use my SC with the mount underneath and out the front so the feel world monitor is up and in front of the SC so I am not missing any screen area of the SC. You need to be sure the Feel World is the model 279 I believe, the one that is 2,200 nits. anyway. It is the best solution out there. You could buy the Thor mount but that will set you back close to another $100, so search out the $44 guy. PM me if you need more info. You can choose to make the Feel World monitor just the full camera view too, and do all the control settings from the SC screen. This is by far the best solution, much brighter and cheaper than a CS or an expensive tablet.

So, for a Mavic Mini, would you use a MicroUSB / HDMI adapter? Would that work?

googles-featured-image.jpg
And your VO is where? If the answer is “taking the photo” then they’re not a VO!

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge phone and a Samsung Tab S3 and have no problem with sun light. I simply make sure that the screen intensity always is set to maximum when flying. I use Tasker to adjust the screen settings automatically whenever DJI GO 4 or Litchi are launched, unless the surrounding light level is low and it works like a charm on both units.

If you use a three-sided shade like the one pictured in post #8, make sure to also wear a dark shirt or coat and a wide-brimmed hat for best effectiveness.

I made a DIY four-sided Hood about 12" tall out of thin cardboard and duct tape (Gorilla Tape brand)... left open about a 3-inch tall full-width cut out at the bottom, so I can reach in and touch the tablet anywhere on the screen. Works great, it's like being in a dark theater.
Well done . I made my own fully enclosed anti glare sunshade for my 8 inch tablet . cost nothing , lightweight, works a treat .

Always face your car south and get some RAM suction cup iPad holders and/or a tripod.

1579990194434.png

D

A black cloth over your head and tablet also works great. Just bring along a VO!

A hat with large brim is what I use. And because the brim is wide I've also attached a ribbon to the hat to tie under my chin as even a small breeze disturbs it. I will say I get some rather odd looks and haven't received many compliments of the "wow, how fetching you look". Not a perfect solution but it helps. And besides I like to think my hat is just perfect for a garden party.

• Haha
i had the same issue then one day i was watching a CAPTAIN DRONE video on you tube and this very question came up , he just cut a sun visor out of an old cereal box to the size and uses that its free does the job and best of all if you damage it cut out another . paint black you you like fold it to fit on the holder with your phone its thin enough to do it without your phone falling out of the holder or a small piece of double sided tape on the back of the phone or tablet works as well .try it you can customize one to your liking at a cost of a few cents.

A hat with large brim is what I use. And because the brim is wide I've also attached a ribbon to the hat to tie under my chin as even a small breeze disturbs it. I will say I get some rather odd looks and haven't received many compliments of the "wow, how fetching you look". Not a perfect solution but it helps. And besides I like to think my hat is just perfect for a garden party.
Picture, please...:cool:

So, for a Mavic Mini, would you use a MicroUSB / HDMI adapter? Would that work?
The Feel World screen has an HDMI in and out plug. If your mini has does not have an HDMI output port, I don't know if a MicroUSB to HDMI works, or exists. Sorry I can't help you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR