DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you land a Mav2Pro with detectors on?

bobomet

Reactions
My wife and I have always used a hand-catch "landing" for our Phantoms. The Mav2Pro is our 1st Mavic (never thought I'd like one - but it is by far my favorite), and our hand-catch looks like a game of "catch-me-if-you-can".
Should I tun the detectors off during landing? Is there a way?

My wife and I have always used a hand-catch "landing" for our Phantoms. The Mav2Pro is our 1st Mavic (never thought I'd like one - but it is by far my favorite), and our hand-catch looks like a game of "catch-me-if-you-can".
''Same as it always was'', left stick back.

Hi bobomet and beautiful assistant.

A few moments ago my son and I tested a hand catch with our M2P, again. Yesterday we noticed that the aircraft would pull up gently as my son's hand got close underneath. Today, in a hover at about 2m and before the catch attempt, I deactivated the downward vision systems.

- Visual Navigation Settings/Advanced Settings/Enable Vision Positioning.

The M2P became less stable in the hover and also allowed my son to sneak his hand up underneath and take a hold. I then stopped the motors with a double-stick down and in movement. The motors did slow right down after a few seconds, but kept turning slightly, until I released the sticks. Then they stopped completely. Hmmm? But, it was a successful catch. :)

What I need to do now is figure out how to do this on my own. The catching part will be easy enough, but can I use one hand to do the two sticks manoeuvre? Hold the controller against my belly and squeeze the sticks in. Is this what solo flyers do?

You only need to use left stick down to cut the motors...

Thanks for this Smiffy. I just watched the video linked above and saw that he was using just his left thumb, as you describe. From the way the M2P was flying it looked like he still had his downward vision systems activated, which is handy. Excellent - this will make launching and retrieving out in the outdoor woods quite easy. :)

I really dislike the "drone descending to a hand" catch method. Any sort of wind gust, moving surface like a boat and you cant "abort" and it could easily cut the hand.

I much prefer grabbing it while it hovers stably and then left stick down with the other hand.

Unless your surface is moving and you move the hands into it.

I prefer a stationary drone and prop not one thats descending out of my direct control while i try to grab it.

Personal preference but i want the spinning props in a known, fixed location.

You only need to use left stick down to cut the motors...
He Smiffy ... so on the descent, I should just keep the left stick (Only) down until the catch? Is that the same with ground landing .... just keep the left stick down all the way in, holding it still to cut the engines?

A funny thing happened while practicing this catch method today. On one occasion the M2P reacted to my hand moving under it and wafted up out of reach, to about three metres. I must have kept my left thumb on the stick, as the M2P then went into a landing manoeuvre I couldn't stop. Short grass = an OK landing. Still, made me think about what the heck happened.

The best method seemed to be to get my arm into catching position while the M2P was well above it, then keep it still, to avoid stimulating the downward vision system.

I really dislike the "drone descending to a hand" catch method. Any sort of wind gust, moving surface like a boat and you cant "abort" and it could easily cut the hand.

I much prefer grabbing it while it hovers stably and then left stick down with the other hand.
But, is your downward detector still on when you do it?

That was the MP1 behaviour too. Turning the sensors off works.
Flicking to sport mode might work, cant remember.

If you don't approach it the sensors think your hand is the ground and it does not fight to get away.
This is our experience so far. I wonder if the downward vision sensor can be turned off quickly to allow the catch, turning it back on after engine shutdown?

This is our experience so far. I wonder if the downward vision sensor can be turned off quickly to allow the catch, turning it back on after engine shutdown?

Tried sport mode switch?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrDew