DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you like your new Mavic 2?

Do you like your new Mavic 2?

• Total voters
Only thing I don’t like about mine is it came yesterday. Named it 911.

I really love all the reviews that rave on, and then when they "learn" via other professional reviews about the problems they go "oh yeah, i saw that too.."" haha. the lens distortion issue was broken by a few softly spoken chaps, not the cap wearing loudmouths.

fwiw I can't get one yet here in AU, but I will upgrade when it's available. all "problems" aside it's a good upgrade.

Reactions: ssvdh66
I absolutely love my Mavic 2 Pro. Am I disappointed that certain features were dropped from previous models? Of course I am. However, all things considered, I'm very happy with my purchase and I'd make it again without hesitation. The camera is simply incredible and the bird flies like a dream.

Don't know if this will work, but here is a link to a video I did yesterday. Shot in 4K HQ and zoomed in post to 1080. I think it looks pretty good for zooming in that far. Not a long clip because it was about 2 miles from my house and about 10 seconds after I spotted the first coyote I got the RTH notification.

Coyotes 9-10-18
Mavics are perfect to capture animals because they aren't as loud and smaller in size, versus Phantom. You can get amazingly close with Mavic sometimes. They aren't nearly as intimidated with Mavic. However Phantoms will work too, to an extent. Here's a comparison of Mavic versus Phantom. The first video is MavicP, no zoom. The second is Phantom4P, which has a couple post edit zooms on the fox.

I really love all the reviews that rave on, and then when they "learn" via other professional reviews about the problems they go "oh yeah, i saw that too.."" haha. the lens distortion issue was broken by a few softly spoken chaps, not the cap wearing loudmouths.

fwiw I can't get one yet here in AU, but I will upgrade when it's available. all "problems" aside it's a good upgrade.

I bought mine direct from dji on the day of release & got it in Oz 3 days later.I don’t know why it’s so delayed in Oz but definitely worth upgrading.I have had no problems apart from having to learn that this camera does not need much help & wishing the filters were already available...

Reactions: Former Member
If only they can make the cameras easily swappable :)

My filters are coming in this wednesday that will be a big help, though in place of them I adjust the exposure value to compensate for the brightness. I think the HDR setting SUCKS and isn't true HDR, simply shoot in RAW + JPG and post process my pics if need be. The good news is the photos are pretty darn good and don't really need any processing.

I haven't had much time to play with mine but so far I love it. My first drone so I was blown away at how smooth yet aggressively it flew. I was a little bummed about the missing features but I'm not worried about it as I'm assuming they weren't "removed" but simply haven't been polished enough yet and will be here shortly. Some of the features like HDR let me down, but only because I'm looking at it as an amateur photographer who already processes raw files in Lightroom for HDR, so I'm not exactly the target audience they had in mind when they added it. I'll just shoot manual brackets like I normally would. I DO wish you could customize the brackets though, would be nice to long press once and fire off a burst of 3 DNGs at +/- 2 stop increments.

I hate to say this considering your sanding experience, but dear Lord that was pretty darn funny. TD, I think you missed your calling in stand-up comedy. (Still picturing you on the deck sanding yourself to death and cussing out YT the whole time.) Then of course there are the wife reminders which made me laugh almost as hard. Those can be brutal.

KB

Happy the M2 is a few percent quicker and a few percent longer in flight time as advertised. But with more and more crap that keeps coming to light, its hard to say this thing is awesome but Im a little disappointed. Im very disappointed.
Removing features that were key and standout functions of technology thats years old now is more than a small disappointment. And the 4k issues are even more important to me. If we are questioning how the sensor is bei g used and comparing to 2.7k res, that sad for the hype they have advertising a hasselblad camera.

I know there is hope these are things that can be resolved through future updates, but assumptions are not good enough. Id stand by this company if they were transparent here and said yes, these are limitation of the new Mavic 2, or confirm these are only temporary issues that will be resolved.

Pretty sad to act like their latest product release is revolutionary and say "See the bigger picture" ....

Its a nice drone with excellent flight stability, but I cant help feeling like its a prototype :(

Hi, I'm a real newbie but it's the 1" sensor and the image quality that saw me pulling the trigger on the M2Pro.

I've got them both, and I can say, without a doubt, that DJI did it right. The best consumer drone DJI has ever made. Do you like yours? Would you buy it again if you could do it again?

Poll results after 74 responses:

View attachment 46640
I now have both, have flown the Mavic Pro 2 and its flight characteristics are excellent, pity I cant say the same about the so called Hasselblad camera which should be as good as my Phantom 4 Pro camera but its not. Hopefully DJI will come up with some upgrades to fix the barrel distortion and soft video quality in FOV mode. Hope they get rid of pixel binning or line skipping and use the full sensor for video. Photo mode is very good.

Everything looks easy on Youtube. I saw a guy sand and finish his deck in under 2 hours. I decided to give it a shot, heck, it could only take 2 hours! 2 weeks later I was still sanding. Now, when I see something on Youtube that looks as easy as 1-2-3, my wife reminds me of the deck, and I am quickly dissuaded.
Lmao

I now have both, have flown the Mavic Pro 2 and its flight characteristics are excellent, pity I cant say the same about the so called Hasselblad camera which should be as good as my Phantom 4 Pro camera but its not. Hopefully DJI will come up with some upgrades to fix the barrel distortion and soft video quality in FOV mode. Hope they get rid of pixel binning or line skipping and use the full sensor for video. Photo mode is very good.

Thank you for your detailed answer. I am not a photographer, but it sounds like you are, and it sounds like image quality is important to you. You compared the M2P Hasselblad lens to the P4P lens, and you favor the P4P lens. How would you compare the M2P lens against the Mavic Pro lens? So many Mavic Pro owners are upgrading from The Mavic Pro to the M2P, Im wondering if you think the upgraded Hasselblad lens is worth selling their Mavic Pro for the promised increase in quality it offers? Personally, I think the sensor in the M2P is so much more responsive on the M2P, but I dont know enough about "barrel distortion, soft video quality in FOV mode, pixel binning, line skipping or using the full sensor for video." Do you know if the Mavic Pro uses the full sensor for video? Also, could you describe any shortcomings the Mavic Pro lens had that the Hasselblad has improved upon, or any advantages the Mavic Pro (Mavic Pro version 1) lens has over the Hasselblad?

Since you have both the M2P and the M2Z, can you point out any flaws you found with the Mavic 2 Zoom lens? I found the Mavic 2 Pro lens to be astounding compared to the Mavic Pro, but then again, Im not a photographer, and wouldnt really know how to qualify the difference. This would really help people decide which model to upgrade to, the M2P or the M2Z.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssvdh66 and Colbymh
Well, I didn't voted, as I am not going to return my M2P, but I think I spent my money without much gain over MA. I did a few tests and I can't really see any difference between MA and M2P camera. My reasons to get M2P having MA already was:
1. Adjustable aperture, so I don't have to change NDs every time. But it seems that I will have to get NDs for M2P because aperture only can't compensate for conditions which I use a drone.
2. Range. I can get 1.5-2km on MA with fcc hack, but 500m+ makes control unreliable, starting quickshot 500m away is a challenge. With M2P I got 2.5km in same place and attempt to start hyperlapse in 1km was fail.
3. Side sensors. 90% of time I use quickshots and this is there side sensors should help. But APAS isn't really doing its job as expected, when I want to make a circle quickshot at low altitude it won't fly obstacle above, but just stops at obstacle.

I can't say I am disappointed in M2P but I think it just don't justifies 2x price over MA.

Last edited:
Regarding photo and video quality on the M2P: I'm new to drones and video but I'm an experienced amateur photographer. The video is clearly not as good as a P4P, and may improve with firmware, but given the physical limitations (heat, data throughput, etc.) it may never be as good.

The photo quality however is awesome, not even in the same league as the old Mavic and on par with or better than the P4P from what I can tell. The M2P is more of a photographer's drone that can take nice video. If someone didn't need portability and was primarily interested in video they'd probably be better served by a P4P. I'm a hiker that's 99% photo but would like to post the occasional nice video for my facebook friends, so an M2P is pretty much custom tailored for me. Well, it would be if it had custom exposure bracketing and burst mode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manu Gopinath