DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you like your new Mavic 2?

Do you like your new Mavic 2?

• Total voters
I am very pleased. I just received from the printer a metal print that is 24x36 inches. It is excellent! One can stand right next to it and see details that in a lessor camera would be mush. This was a still from my Mavic 2 pro. My regular camera is a 47 MP Nikon D850 so I am used to high quality prints. The attached file is probably too small to do justice to the photo. The photo shows what is considered to be an engineering marvel to build a road up a 1000 feet cliff with multiple switch backs.

Attachments

• DJI_0097.JPG
    DJI_0097.JPG
    9.3 MB · Views: 95
I think you are underpaying how good of a sensor for stills photography this drone/sony are able to produce. The Rx100 series from sony is an absolute ripper of a little thing.

It's a great little camera but IMHO nothing too special for image quality, and the sensor/lens are better than what is in the MP2 to my knowledge. 1" sensors are still very small (2.7x crop relative to FF) and they unfortunately cannot overcome physics no matter how good the rest of the package is. I'll be the first to admit I am incredibly picky about image quality, to be fair.

My biggest complaint with the RX100 VA is no UHS-II memory card slot (buffer clear times are ridiculous if you fill it) and the lack of the features the Mark VI got, despite coming out after the Mark VI (auto-pop out viewfinder and touch screen with greater articulation).

I have been assuming the MP2 will deliver image quality slightly worse than the RX100 VA, which is very good but not great. Again - physics rears it's ugly head :) Why can't I have a FF sensor in a Mavic Air package??? Just kidding.

Most importantly, the MP2 is much better than the MA and to a greater extent the MP1 with regards to image quality, so that's all that really matters. It's disappointing it's significantly worse than the P4P (video) but there had to be compromises made give the size/portability compared to a Phantom - probably mostly heat related.

Last edited:
It's a great little camera but IMHO nothing too special for image quality, and the sensor/lens are better than what is in the MP2 to my knowledge. 1" sensors are still very small (2.7x crop relative to FF) and they unfortunately cannot overcome physics no matter how good the rest of the package is. I'll be the first to admit I am incredibly picky about image quality, to be fair.

My biggest complaint with the RX100 VA is no UHS-II memory card slot (buffer clear times are ridiculous if you fill it) and the lack of the features the Mark VI got, despite coming out after the Mark VI (auto-pop out viewfinder and touch screen with greater articulation).

I have been assuming the MP2 will deliver image quality slightly worse than the RX100 VA, which is very good but not great. Again - physics rears it's ugly head :) Why can't I have a FF sensor in a Mavic Air package??? Just kidding.

Most importantly, the MP2 is much better than the MA and to a greater extent the MP1 with regards to image quality, so that's all that really matters. It's disappointing it's significantly worse than the P4P (video) but there had to be compromises made give the size/portability compared to a Phantom - probably mostly heat related.
I can't believe I keep reading these negative posts about image quality on the M2P. Okay it's the first drone i've ever owned so I've nothing to compare it to but when I saw it had the Sony 1" sensor, Hasselblad camera and folded into pocket (largish) size, for me it was a no-brainer and convinced me to dive in. As I've said in earlier posts, if pixel peeping is what you're all about buy a full frame DSLR. The M2P is all about compromises no doubt, but it's the total package that is important to me. I can't get my Canon 5D Mk III 400 feet into the air without hiring a chopper.

I can't believe I keep reading these negative posts about image quality on the M2P. Okay it's the first drone i've ever owned so I've nothing to compare it to but when I saw it had the Sony 1" sensor, Hasselblad camera and folded into pocket (largish) size, for me it was a no-brainer and convinced me to dive in. As I've said in earlier posts, if pixel peeping is what you're all about buy a full frame DSLR. The M2P is all about compromises no doubt, but it's the total package that is important to me. I can't get my Canon 5D Mk III 400 feet into the air without hiring a chopper.
Hate to break it to you, but the only thing Haselblad about this camera is the sticker on the front, and the colour profile when using JPEG. Apart from that, it's embarrassing to have called this a Hasselblad camera, something that is synonymous with 'uber' high quality gear.

Hate to break it to you, but the only thing Haselblad about this camera is the sticker on the front, and the colour profile when using JPEG. Apart from that, it's embarrassing to have called this a Hasselblad camera, something that is synonymous with 'uber' high quality gear.
I realise that and I've been a long time Hasselblad user from way back in the deep dark film days. It's something I wasn't aware of when i placed my order but suspected as much even though DJI purchased a large chunk of Hasselblad last year. It was more the 1" Sony sensor that caught my eye (same as the Phantom 4 pro) combined with the compactness and portability. I never shoot JPEG so having the Hasselblad colour profile is irrelevant. I don't shoot much video and I'm very happy with the results I'm seeing so far

Last edited:
Reactions: ssvdh66

They just use the Hasselblad name for marketing purposes. They may have had input in lens construction or JPEG processing, but they most definitely do not make the sensor and the camera most definitely has no association whatsoever to what most people think of when they hear Hasselblad (medium format digital backs costing as much as a car). It's like the $300 Panasonic point & shoot cameras that used the Leica lens brand - the lens is the same as any other crappy P&S camera lens, but they use the weight of the Leica brand to help sell it. Sony does the same thing with Zeiss on their lower end cameras. Hasselblad also used to re-brand OEM Sony cameras and sell them for absurd premiums. It's all just a marketing game. The only thing Hassleblad about the MP2 is a little sticker - it doesn't help that Hasselblad was an ultra high end photography brand, because it makes the proposition of a MP2 holding a Hasselblad camera far more ridiculous - it's like putting a Ferrari badge on a Ford Fiesta and giving it 5 extra HP.

MP2 stills quality is on par with other 1" sensors but if you look at P4P video image quality it is very obviously better (it has a mechanical shutter for one thing, and processing and heat management appear to be better). As I said, the important thing is it's an improvement on the Mavic Air and even moreso an improvement compared to the MP1. The problem is the P4P was out first, and some people are used to that level of IQ - when the MP2 came out with a 1" sensor, compromises had to be made, but it's easy to see how people are disappointed. If you're used to a certain level of IQ, it's far more obvious when a downgrade comes along - just human nature. Coming from a MA or MP1 it will surely be impressive. Those hoping to downsize their P4P and maintain the same video image quality are going to be a lot less excited.

Also, if you want your Canon 5DM3 400ft in the air without hiring a helicopter, prices start around $1500 USD for heavy lift drones and go up from there with accessories and customizations.

Last edited:
I'd love to hear comments how previous Mavic Pro Platinum owners like their Mavic 2 Zooms in comparison, particularly improvement in video quality (I suspect little/none, as they use same sensor) and meaningful features beyond zoom. I.e., have M2Z improvements been worth the additional cost vs. MPP?

I'm surprised to see M2 reviewers advising hobbyists to purchase Spark or Air if M2 is too pricey for them. MPP still seems like it should be a recommended option.

I'd expect MP1 owners to viscerally love M2 first and foremost for its lower noise and longer flight time, irrespective of features and camera.

Well DJI pretty much own Hasselblad so I'm sure you're right. It is a helluva name though.

Indeed it is one of the 'extremes' in the camera industry. That is why I used the analogy of giving a Ford Fiesta 5hp more and putting a Ferrari badge on it (if Ford bought Ferrari haha) - DJI is doing the same thing essentially. Putting a Hasselblad sticker on a MP2 is laughable if you are familiar with Hasselblad. Certainly not unusual in the marketing world though.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
Putting a Hasselblad sticker on a MP2 is laughable if you are familiar with Hasselblad. Certainly not unusual in the marketing world though.

CanadaDrone, reading the product and engineering history of Hasselblad, I'd agree it's correct to say the MP2 camera isn't equivalent to the famous Hasselblad digital backs (which by the way evolved from tech by Imacon, a digital imaging and scanner company HB acquired to survive in the digital age). It's also correct to say the MP2 camera has a Sony sensor, third party lens, and surely other third party components. And also true that HB has marketed minimally redesigned and rebranded Sony cameras since 2012.

I'm no camera expert, but all of above notwithstanding, it doesn't sound like the MP2 camera is necessarily totally outsourced, with zero HB or DJI intellectual property, know-how, or hardware or software augmentation. The HB webpage touts the MP2 camera as the "Hasselblad L1D-20c, a state-of-the-art aerial camera...with the Hasselblad Natural Colour Solution (HNCS)", at a minimum.

Again, I'm not a photographer, but it seems plausible aerial photo/videography presents unique challenges on optics, stabilization, focus, lighting, color, etc., vs. handhelds, where a DJI/HB engineering collaboration might truly be synergistic. In all complex product categories -- cars, computers, phones, etc. -- first party know-how, design principles, and proprietary IP combine and integrate with third-party components to generate new and better purpose-built products.

Those HB/Sony and Panasonic/Leica handhelds rebrands, and lots of other examples of such "brand disguising" understandably justify some cynicism and skepticism. But at worst, I'd guess this HB L1D-20c aerial camera was outsourced to tightly defined HB/DJI specs, vs. off-the-shelf. That said, if someone knows otherwise that it's simply a third party rebrand, I'll stand corrected.

Last edited:
I really don’t care one way or another if it’s a Hasselblad or not. I didn’t buy the M2P for that I bought it for the the size & practicality for travelling abroad. Much easier than taking my DJI inspire on holiday.

I’m also not a professional photographer & I’ll be straight with you guys I’d never heard of Hasselblad before but I’m very pleased with the picture quality that I’m getting from it. I take photos/videos for my own pleasure not For professional use.

Me personally, I think the M2P is a great little drone.

Regards,

Indeed it is one of the 'extremes' in the camera industry. That is why I used the analogy of giving a Ford Fiesta 5hp more and putting a Ferrari badge on it (if Ford bought Ferrari haha) - DJI is doing the same thing essentially. Putting a Hasselblad sticker on a MP2 is laughable if you are familiar with Hasselblad. Certainly not unusual in the marketing world though.
I know them alright, I used them for 20 years as my medium format (workhorse) during my commercial photography days.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
With all this "Hasselblad" talk. I wonder how many actual employees they had left when DJI bought them. They were on the verge of bankruptcy when DJI got them. At one point, Hasselblad was having their cameras completely 100% manufactured by Sony. Hasselblad was reduced to bolting on wood grips and sticking on fancy dials and charging 5 times the price as the real Sony model.

Hasselblad has never been a true electronics company like Sony, Panasonic, Canon, FujiFilm or Olympus. Hasselblad has been living off their NASA connection and as as "fashion camera" brand for a long time now.

I just wonder how many actual "technical" staff Hasselblad had left and did DJI keep any or maybe they only wanted the "name" part of the company.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos