DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How Do You Store Your Videos? (External drive suggestions)

Currently WD Ultra Metal Ed. 4TB. I refresh drives every 3-4 years of use. I don't trust any backup storage. I have had enterprise ssd's die.
Sometimes paranoia is appropriate. The two killers are operating environment and simple stress.
That's why I have both Windows PC and Mac set to power the internal working storage drives down when not in use and the PC has internal fans for teh drives.
The external dock is optimum because the drives only get use when hauled out to fetch something and are in a relatively benign environment - my study closet away from power lines and other electromagnetic fields as well as controlled temperature.
The two Drobos have proven their worth - each holds 4 3tb drives for about 8tb or so storage. I've had two drives fail and recovery was swift and error free - just pop in a new drive and the Drobo formats and restores the data.
Nut I reiterate that those commercial external drives usually contain 2 drives in a likely problematic configuration. Even if it's not striped how many folks have the cash to pay for data recovery? If it's worth keeping get a RAID array of some type to protect it. You don't have to buy commercial - there's plenty of cheap PC's or motherboard/processor/memory combos to make your own with a Linux distro that's specifically setup to make a NAS RAID box. I bought my Drobos on sale and for the money and small size I decided to go with that instead

Sometimes paranoia is appropriate. The two killers are operating environment and simple stress.
That's why I have both Windows PC and Mac set to power the internal working storage drives down when not in use and the PC has internal fans for teh drives.
The external dock is optimum because the drives only get use when hauled out to fetch something and are in a relatively benign environment - my study closet away from power lines and other electromagnetic fields as well as controlled temperature.
The two Drobos have proven their worth - each holds 4 3tb drives for about 8tb or so storage. I've had two drives fail and recovery was swift and error free - just pop in a new drive and the Drobo formats and restores the data.
Nut I reiterate that those commercial external drives usually contain 2 drives in a likely problematic configuration. Even if it's not striped how many folks have the cash to pay for data recovery? If it's worth keeping get a RAID array of some type to protect it. You don't have to buy commercial - there's plenty of cheap PC's or motherboard/processor/memory combos to make your own with a Linux distro that's specifically setup to make a NAS RAID box. I bought my Drobos on sale and for the money and small size I decided to go with that instead
RAID arrays are nice. As for stress saving, that's probably why my drives have lasted for 9 years. Mine powers down the drives when they idle.

I have been thinking of making a raid array just for redundancy but in the 3 refreshes I have done, the drives have yet to fail. Someone in my family is always looking for an external storage, be it SD cards, USB sticks, or portable HDD.

I do a lot of video work and not just with my Mavic. Remember that hard discs will eventually fail! I backup to blue ray dual layer (50Gb) . The blanks cost £2.70

I have a Raid Array with 3 x 3TB drives giving me 6TB of storage in RAID 5. That allows me to loose 1 disk without loosing my data. Later this year I plan to build a new array using 4 x 8TB drives in raid 5. It wasn't an issue til I started recording all my content in 4K. quickly running out of space. I wouldn't trust an external HD, Too many things can go wrong. Drop it or lay it down the wrong way and its done. I use a 500 GB SSD with an SATA to USB adpater to store my content off my laptop until I can get it back to my office and store it on the Array.

I have a Raid Array with 3 x 3TB drives giving me 6TB of storage in RAID 5. That allows me to loose 1 disk without loosing my data. Later this year I plan to build a new array using 4 x 8TB drives in raid 5. It wasn't an issue til I started recording all my content in 4K. quickly running out of space. I wouldn't trust an external HD, Too many things can go wrong. Drop it or lay it down the wrong way and its done. I use a 500 GB SSD with an SATA to USB adpater to store my content off my laptop until I can get it back to my office and store it on the Array.

Are these drives in a machine or some type of external housing like a Drobo?

I'm using this, Using Freenas OS, holds 15 hdd's. Right now I only have 8 4tb hdd's equals 32tb of storage with redundancy. Plenty of storage for everything!

My Freenas Server

view

Last edited:
Are these drives in a machine or some type of external housing like a Drobo?
I have all mine inside my full tower case. You could get a small nas with 4 bays and do the same thing. But I didn't want the latency of running everything through my home network. A raid card that can do raid 5 is cheap these days. Dirt cheap if you get a used one off eBay.

I primarily use the Porsche design 4TB. It has been good to me so far. I have used Seagate & WD and had better luck with WD (less failures). The LaCie is a premium version of the Seagate... I find the LaCie better than plain Seagates.
I second your opinion on seagates, they do not last. They are cheap, which is why many laptops come with them. Stick with WD, or if you have the money samsung SSD drives

Suggestions? I still retain the originals on microSd

Move them off to an external hard drive. Or if you want some fault tollerance setup 3 or more hard drives into a RAID 5 array, and store them on that. Just depends on how much you value that data.

I do a lot of video work and not just with my Mavic. Remember that hard discs will eventually fail! I backup to blue ray dual layer (50Gb) . The blanks cost £2.70
At that point you might as off just get an LTO tape drive and use that for backups. I have considered it as a backup to my RAID backups in case of Act of God.

Ready Nas Duo with RAID. I can access from anywhere from any device. I don't trust anything at all to the cloud. I would rather keep things under my control.

Ready Nas Duo with RAID. I can access from anywhere from any device. I don't trust anything at all to the cloud. I would rather keep things under my control.
I couldn't agree more. I have seen way too many Clouds crash, and I am talking enterprise level stuff, to ever trust my data or applications to a cloud.

Use Synology DS 214Play 2x6TB reliable and serves as dlna for the tv.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Seagate DJI Fly Drive about to be released. Portable, 2TB, and it has an integrated UHS-II microSD card slot for fast, easy transfer from drone to drive. 2-month trial of Adobe Premiere Pro CC also ...

Seagate DJI Fly Drive for Drone Footage - Portable Drive with Micro SD Card Slot and USB-C to USB-C cable (STGH2000400) Amazon.com: Seagate DJI Fly Drive for Drone Footage - Portable Drive with Micro SD Card Slot and USB-C to USB-C cable (STGH2000400): Computers & Accessories

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329