DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How does the Mavic Air 2 perform in cold weather?

51 Drones

Reactions
The first to check it out in below freezing temps. And yes, I am promoting my channel, just so we are all clear. Also, it's valuable information, so there's that.

Watched it yesterday on YouTube. :)

The first to check it out in below freezing temps. And yes, I am promoting my channel, just so we are all clear. Also, it's valuable information, so there's that.

Interesting video, The Air 2 Wet Suits keep the Drone Batteries 6 degrees warmer both with the Cover and the Seal protecting it which I can see now is going to make a big difference in flying in the extreme cold. We have not had a chance yet to test in below zero weather but its coming , thank you for the heads up.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Extreme Cold.

Pretty much all but noobs know to keep your batterys in your pockets
when it’s cold. Nothing new here. Coal’s suit I could see being of help
but I still wouldn’t leave one in that cold sitting out in that temp then
trying to use it.

I still wouldn’t leave one in that cold sitting out in that temp then
trying to use it.

No sh kidding. ? (self moderated ?).

The most interesting thing about that video was that he did leave the battery in the cold and that the drone would not recognize the battery..

. Now I realize how important the Wet Suits are going to be to fly in the Extreme cold even though you only get another 6 to maybe 8 degrees of warmth to the battery from the battery covers.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Snow and Extreme Cold.

Great vid. The phantom rain.org wetsuits are used in the Antarctic with up to 3 layers of wetsuit on the batteries. I’ll be flying in the Himalayas next winter (2021) and will post some footage.

Very interesting video.

Reactions: eaglesurfing
The constant plugging annoys me.

Clothing is fine for retaining generated warmth, but if the battery and clothing are starting out at ambient cold temperatures, you could start off with issues. Battery in inside coat pocket before flight will resolve that concern.

The constant plugging annoys me...
You and me both. I wish MavicPilots would setup a separate vendors forum for them to promote their products.

Other forums I use have strict rules about plugging your own product in a general discussion forum.

On topic, back when I needed winter jackets, I always made sure that they had inside pockets to keep things like batteries warm.

I have a better idea than sinking money into a wetsuit for an unproven reason. Keep your batteries in an indoor pocket and pull them out when you're about to fly. I flew for about 22.5 minutes in 3°C weather on Sunday and landed with a little over 20% left on my battery. Battery was 96% charged when I powered up the Air 2. All four of my betteries were in my indoor pocket in my winter coat and both flights were just fine and the drone was good.

I didn't know this was the Home Shopping Network.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201027_012356_dji.go.v5~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20201027_012356_dji.go.v5~2.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 37
Wow.... It does not take much to annoy some but I am sure glad that you shared it with us.
We love to hear more about your feelings.
Nice thing about this forum.... If you don't like it.... move on.... but then again how are you going to share your negative feelings.
Still like that we have mature members who know better.
But of course this is my personal opinion that is allowed under freedom of speech in this country.??

Reactions: BigAl07
So if the suit is keeping the battery 6-8 degrees warmer in cold, how much warmer is it making the battery in 90 degree weather?

Reactions: SkyeHigh
So if the suit is keeping the battery 6-8 degrees warmer in cold, how much warmer is it making the battery in 90 degree weather?

The Battery Covers work in 3 ways : The Wet Suit Battery Covers seal the entire Perimeter of the Seams of the Battery. This keeps in the most heat .
Than you have the Actual 3mm Neoprene Cover itself which helps insulate the Battery and you have the Power Button seal.

You than have the Option to not seal the battery if your flying in 100 degree heat . { which as noted keeps in the most amount of heat. }
The second option is to just not use the battery cover.

Either way we have not found the Heating of the battery to ever be an issue . Not like the Cold as that can cause a number of different variables.
You will also notice as we do that both the I - pad and the i -phone do not do well in the Extreme temps.

This is where having the Smart Controller really pays off, as it does well in these extremes.

Phatomrain.org
Gear to fly in the cold and the rain.

Last edited:
Reactions: qinks
I have three batteries. So I have two with the cover and one without. I use the one for very hot days away from the water but the other two is when I am landing and taking off from the lake.
IMG_0030.JPG

(You than have the Option to not seal the battery if your flying in 100 degree heat . { which as noted keeps in the most amount of heat. }
(The second option is to just not use the battery cover.)

If its 100 degrees and starts raining, the battery is what needs the most protection isn't it?

(You than have the Option to not seal the battery if your flying in 100 degree heat . { which as noted keeps in the most amount of heat. }
(The second option is to just not use the battery cover.)

If its 100 degrees and starts raining, the battery is what needs the most protection isn't it?

If you fly the Mavic 2 or Mavic Pro or Mavic Air 2 for just a few minutes in the rain you will get water inside the battery Compartment.
Thus the reason why we made the Wet Suits for these drones, because the battery is the weak link, not the motors, or camera or heat , just the battery.

We know that the power button can also be comprised by Moisture causing the battery not to discharge properly and that causes swelling, this is yet another reason why protecting your Power Button is so important from rain, snow, pollen, sand.

Last edited:
Reactions: qinks
Still like that we have mature members who know better.
But of course this is my personal opinion that is allowed under freedom of speech in this country.??
Wow... So voicing my opinion is immature but voicing your opinion is freedom of speech.

Nice double standard you have there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4