DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How hard would it be to simulate litchi missions in google earth?

torqum

Reactions
I would like to be able to design a mission with the litchi app, but then import it into google earth as a tour and then play it to see how it looks from the exact perspective specified and as the mission progresses through the waypoints in "real time". I know nothing exists at the moment that will do this for you, but I'm just wondering how feasible it is. I don't have any experience with kml or with google touring, but if you can export your litchi mission as a csv file, you can then write a simple script that converts all the information in the csv file (including camera angles) to a kml file. Maybe it wouldn't be that simple, as it would involve the same type of interpolation that litchi applies, but it would be straightforward. I think you'd then import the kml file into the tour feature of google earth, though I'm not sure how you would control for varying speed levels. I think the idea might break down at this step because I don't know how tours are encoded. Anybody think this could work?

I've been wanting to do something similar (only reversed), but it seems that Google has dropped support for Google Earth.

What I'd really like to do is to export Google route maps to a CSV (or whatever), and convert those to waypoint missions like the one below.

I've been wanting to do something similar (only reversed), but it seems that Google has dropped support for Google Earth.

What I'd really like to do is to export Google route maps to a CSV (or whatever), and convert those to waypoint missions like the one below.

How do you get the verbal information presented?

A few weeks ago I wrote a Windows program that does almost exactly what you're describing. When you click on "Export CSV" from Litchi mission hub it plays it back as an FPV style animation in Google Earth within about a second. I was using it to browse other people's missions. If you're interested I can post it when I get back from work tonight.

A few weeks ago I wrote a Windows program that does almost exactly what you're describing. When you click on "Export CSV" from Litchi mission hub it plays it back as an FPV style animation in Google Earth within about a second. I was using it to browse other people's missions. If you're interested I can post it when I get back from work tonight.

Yes! I'd love to give that a try.

You can do "add Path" in google earth to create points for a flight route. If you set relative elevations, you can use to setup Litchi elevations (relative to take off point). What you do is export the path as a kml from google earth and then import that into the flylitchi.com web page. There is a youtube video that walks you through that step-by-step. A search on Litchi should let you find that video.

@JTS
Absolutely! A free tool that would allow one to view a Lichti Mission. Sounds Bomb!

You should market this to the Lichti folks as an add on or extension. That is after you have granted us a copy . :p

Hmm. Won't let me upload an executable.. How do people do this?
Dump it on Google drive and post the link

Here you go, zip file worked. Give me some feedback (especially if it doesn't work on your machine!)

This is v1, I have some more ideas to include when I have time. If you have any request or ideas I'm happy to include them.

For best results:

In Google Earth:
go to "Tools/Options/3D View" and set "Elevation Exaggeration" to 1.
go to "Tools/Options/Navigation" and set "Fly-To-Speed" to 5.
go to "Layers" on the sidebar and ensure "Trees" under "3D Buildings" is checked.

This program works best if you click "Don't ask again" when prompted in both Litchi & Google Earth.

To see one of my my favorites right now (and to test that trees & buildings are showing up ok)
search Litchi Mission Hub for "B Street Trail" and them zoom out a little bit until you see the yellow blob, click it and export to csv.

Attachments

• Mission Visualizer.zip
    11.4 KB · Views: 273
I dropped one of my litchi missions into the download directory and renamed it litchi_mission.csv, run the program and it opens up Google Earth but does no conversion I can see. Nothing displayed on Google Earth. Maybe I just have a virus instead
Running Window 7 Sp1

I dropped one of my litchi missions into the download directory and renamed it litchi_mission.csv, run the program and it opens up Google Earth but does no conversion I can see. Nothing displayed on Google Earth. Maybe I just have a virus instead
Running Window 7 Sp1

Wow that's Harsh! You really think he would do that?

Running Window 7 Sp1

You could always delete it and write your own.

That is indeed harsh: I'm offended. I'm a professional programmer known in real life to several people on this forum: of course I wouldn't write a virus.

The program has built-in instructions, which you deliberately ignored.

Dropping a file into the download directory and then running the program won't work. This is because the program uses a Windows api call (fileSystemWatcher) to monitor the contents of (in this case) the download directory looking for the appearance of a file called litchi_mission.csv. when it appears, it converts it to KML and blah blah blah.

How about either:

A) delete litchi_mission.csv from the download directory, then run the program and copy the file into the download directory? That would work.
or
B) follow the instructions before you start hurling unwarranted aspersions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU