DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How high and how far can I safely take the Mavic Pro?

Dafar

Reactions
Sorry for the noob question...

From what I've read people say that the drone can travel a distance of 4 miles!

When I flew it yesterday, after going 400ft the drone said it has reached maximum distance and stopped. Is that a setting restriction? If so, was it set that way for safety? Or can I increase the max distance and safely take it a mile away (in terms of maintaining GPS connection and everything)

Same with height... I've seen people on youtube fly the drone above clouds..... is that highly risky? Will the drone start to freeze after a certain point? Will I get warnings before that happens if I decide to test the height?

Thanks

Reactions: PowerT1998
Could it be that the " Beginner Mode" was still enabled in your GO app? Please check, cause that may be one reason.

Could it be that the " Beginner Mode" was still enabled in your GO app? Please check, cause that may be one reason.

Thanks, I will check... I am pretty sure it's turned off though... because I remember using beginner mode once and it felt super slow, almost like tripod mode. But i'll check

Oh, and regarding max flight altitude: can't tell in feet, but I am using meters, and I know that all Mavics are limited to 500 m flight altitude. That's maximum.

Sorry for the noob question...

From what I've read people say that the drone can travel a distance of 4 miles!

When I flew it yesterday, after going 400ft the drone said it has reached maximum distance and stopped. Is that a setting restriction? If so, was it set that way for safety? Or can I increase the max distance and safely take it a mile away (in terms of maintaining GPS connection and everything)

Same with height... I've seen people on youtube fly the drone above clouds..... is that highly risky? Will the drone start to freeze after a certain point? Will I get warnings before that happens if I decide to test the height?

Thanks

Hey there Dafar, there are two different things that we are talking about here. How far the Mavic Pro can "physically" fly and how far it can "legally" fly. In the US the maximum altitude is limited to under 400 feet. That means up to 399 feet not including 400 feet.

The physical limit of the Mavic Pro is an unobstructed distance of 4.3 miles. The legal distance is to be within eye sight at all times by your own eyesight or within the eyesight of your observer on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Hey there Dafar, there are two different things that we are talking about here. How far the Mavic Pro can "physically" fly and how far it can "legally" fly. In the US the maximum altitude is limited to under 400 feet. That means up to 399 feet not including 400 feet.

The physical limit of the Mavic Pro is an unobstructed distance of 4.3 miles. The legal distance is to be within eye sight at all times by your own eyesight or within the eyesight of your observer on the ground.

I love controlling the drone by looking at the video feed though :)

I love controlling the drone by looking at the video feed though :)

So do I as well, I just wanted to give you the FAA legal limits so you know that as well. I saw a YouTube video where the Mavic Pro pilot flew from a point on Maui, Hawaii at about 9000 feet from sea level and he flew over 3 miles before the Mavics' flight battery said it was time to return back to home. He was flying illegally because he was flying well over 400 feet above the altitude at sea level (AGL) and he was also well beyond flying farther than he could see by eyesight. Plus he was flying right through the existing clouds with ZERO visibility, another big NO NO according to the FAA Part 107 flight regulations for UAS pilots.

Last edited:
Reactions: FilthyRich

Since you're being hyper specific, may as well state that that height is AGL and fluctuates in relation to your drone. The one foot variance likely doesn't apply.

I want to add that the 400 foot flight restriction in the United States is above any obstacle. If you are flying over buildings etc. you can go 400 feet plus the height of the building. That 400 feet rule is because aircraft could be skud running at 500 AGL in a non populous area of class G airspace.

Reactions: dawgs18
Since you're being hyper specific, may as well state that that height is AGL and fluctuates in relation to your drone. The one foot variance likely doesn't apply.

Hey Strafe1, I'm not trying to slam your post, only adding to it sir. I think that the FAA Part 107 regulations are hyper specific so why not share that information with the newbies.

Your comment about "The one foot variance likely doesn't apply" sounds great Strafe1, give me the FAA Part 107 section that actually agrees with your comment!:D

He was flying illegally because he was flying well over 400 feet above the altitude at sea level (AGL) and he was also well beyond flying farther than he could see by eyesight.

Just a note, the 400' limit is a _recommendation_ to hobby fliers and only a requirement to those that fly under Part 107 (commercial). I'm not condoning or recommending flying higher than 400'. Just pointing that out.

Reactions: CanyonRunVideos
Hey Strafe1, I'm not trying to slam your post, only adding to it sir. I think that the FAA Part 107 regulations are hyper specific so why not share that information with the newbies.

Your comment about "The one foot variance likely doesn't apply" sounds great Strafe1, give me the FAA Part 107 section that actually agrees with your comment!:D
Just saying that the 400' limit is AGL, not atmospheric or where you start from. Part 107 is for commercial use and not hobbyists. And if 400' is the limit per recommendations, then 399' is a foot short. Just clarifying your specificity. Unless I missed something?

Just saying that the 400' limit is AGL, not atmospheric or where you start from. Part 107 is for commercial use and not hobbyists. And if 400' is the limit per recommendations, then 399' is a foot short. Just clarifying your specificity. Unless I missed something?
Technically under Part 107 you can fly up to 399.9999...ft AGL. Just like how under Part 107 your drone can weigh 54.9999...lb, but 55.00lb is too high to operate under Part 107 (without a waiver). For hobbyists they may still be technically guidelines, however, they are meant to keep people safe, which isn't a bad thing. For example, I'm learning to fly (real aircraft) and yesterday (in a sparsely populated area) was around 700ft AGL taking in the cool view. I don't want to have to worry about hitting a drone while I'm focusing on a lot of other tasks up there. I'll be the first to say I wish the limitation around airports (technically requiring notification) was still 3 miles (who flys a 5 mile pattern haha), but the reality is if there are no major accidents with drones then the FAA will slowly ease up on restrictions... If there is a major accident (especially if it leads to the loss of an aircraft) then expect the regulations to get 100x worse (To the point where you may need a Remote Pilot Certificate + proof of insurance just to fly anywhere legally)

Technically under Part 107 you can fly up to 399.9999...ft AGL. Just like how under Part 107 your drone can weigh 54.9999...lb, but 55.00lb is too high to operate under Part 107 (without a waiver). For hobbyists they may still be technically guidelines, however, they are meant to keep people safe, which isn't a bad thing. For example, I'm learning to fly (real aircraft) and yesterday (in a sparsely populated area) was around 700ft AGL taking in the cool view. I don't want to have to worry about hitting a drone while I'm focusing on a lot of other tasks up there. I'll be the first to say I wish the limitation around airports (technically requiring notification) was still 3 miles (who flys a 5 mile pattern haha), but the reality is if there are no major accidents with drones then the FAA will slowly ease up on restrictions... If there is a major accident (especially if it leads to the loss of an aircraft) then expect the regulations to get 100x worse (To the point where you may need a Remote Pilot Certificate + proof of insurance just to fly anywhere legally)
Right on. Completely agree with the 400' AGL guide for hobbyists. Learning to fly is something I'd like to do one day as well. Safe flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike