DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How high have you flown your mavic 2?

I am curious what the highest is most owners have flown their mavic 2 so far, and how stable it has been for you. My mavic 2 has been fantatic and its my favorite dji drone so far. I am just curious, how well it does at higher allitudes. While i know most countries ofcourse have drone laws with with height restrictions there are some exceptions aswell.

The highest i have taken my zoom is about 120 meters. With any new drone i tend give time build confidance and gain confidance in the craft before starting push a bit more.

That's a loaded question.....

What, precisely, are you writing about? your post is unintelligible!

Last year, I took mine to 800 m in the Mexican desert on a test flight. With 8 1/4 minutes remaining, I tried to come down, but it wouldn't, sinking only 65 m in the first 3 minutes. The advertised sink rate is 180 m/min and I needed 96 m/min from invoking RTH to land with any battery remaining. In those 8 minutes, I got 180 in just one of them, 140 in another and 110 in a third, but less than 70 in the rest of the time. It quit at 125 m and crashed flat on the desert a couple of seconds later. DJI replaced it for $80. I was told that I had over heated the battery and it went into some kind of emergency state I had never heard or read about. I was flying it using Litchi rather than Go4.

That said, I replaced the battery and IT FLEW! Alas, the camera gymbal was damaged ending the photography on that trip (the entire reason for the drone in the first place). My reason for overriding the altitude limit is that the volcano I'm working on rises 1000 m above the desert at its base and 500 m stand-off distance is too little for many of the smaller ones.
Well i see the forum replaced a word in my post i supose it considers swearing :) not sure what else was not understandable, english is not my first language. But all i meant to say is i found the hyperlapse feature on mavic 2 to be nerve wracking at times, as your drone hovers in place for 4 minutes, when busy. If one for exmaple flew really really high and wanted do a hyperlapse up there is can be stresfull as takes 4 minutes while you watch the battery go down, and the return to home piont move closer. I love taking hyperlapses though.

Just out of interest, in aviation there are three definitions of "height":

1. The QFE (local current airfield pressure) is set on the pilot's altimeter and the aircraft's vertical position is reported as "height".
2. The QNH (Regional Pressure setting) is set on the pilot's altimeter and the aircraft's vertical position is reported as "altitude".
3. Above the 'Transition Level' (which depends on the local QNH but is typically 4000 feet above sea level), flight levels are used to indicate altitude. Above this altitude, all altimeters are set to 1013.2 resulting in, for example, FL130 indicating 13,000ft .

So 'height' and 'altitude' often mean quite different things!

FTR, those are ICAO standards. In the US, mandatory positive control (IFR) doesn't start until 18,000' msl or FL180.

Hi guys, is there a way to override the altitude limit on a Mavic 2 so that the owner doesn’t need to climb the mountain to get some cinematic footage?

Hi, I was flying with M2P several times in altitudes of about 2600-2700m in Tyrol Alps (Austria). Only thing what i noticed is shorter battery life, but it was also bellow zero, so instead of ~35min I´ve got approx 25min. I think 5min less could be caused by altitude and 5min by cold.

You may want to see this video, it´s in French, but you can turn on CC

US legal limit is 400' I believe, or 120 meters. Not sure where you are based out of?
Is the 400ft from any point of take off, or what's the basis of the rule? I live on one of the highest mountain peaks on the oregon coast. 400ft from this point ok?

Hi, I was flying with M2P several times in altitudes of about 2600-2700m in Tyrol Alps (Austria). Only thing what i noticed is shorter battery life, but it was also bellow zero, so instead of ~35min I´ve got approx 25min. I think 5min less could be caused by altitude and 5min by cold.

You may want to see this video, it´s in French, but you can turn on CC

Must have something to do with the air being thinner at altitude?

Reactions: kilomikebravo
I am curious what the highest is most owners have flown their mavic 2 so far, and how stable it has been for you. My mavic 2 has been fantatic and its my favorite dji drone so far. I am just curious, how well it does at higher allitudes. While i know most countries ofcourse have drone laws with with height restrictions there are some exceptions aswell.

The highest i have taken my zoom is about 120 meters. With any new drone i tend give time build confidance and gain confidance in the craft before starting push a bit more.

Max flight altitude I ever went to, either with my Mavic platinum or now my Mavic pro 2 zoom, was always 120 meters (400ft). I know it's easy to get confidence the more you fly, and be tempted to go higher. But respecting the FAA rules and regulations (at least here in the US) should always be a priority over personal enjoyment and temptation, to keep this hobbit up in the air so to speak.

Is the 400ft from any point of take off, or what's the basis of the rule? I live on one of the highest mountain peaks on the oregon coast. 400ft from this point ok?
I believe it's 400ft from AGL (at ground level) from where you are standing. So if you live on a mountain which is already at 400ft, then I believe you can go 400ft above it.

1640 feet is as high as my Zoom will let me go. Yes, i did file a flight plan and obtain permission to go to 10,000 feet in the same zone and time we filed our skydiving plan

Last edited:
Reactions: drakkor
People's interpretation of the acronym "AGL" is what I find most intriguing in this thread.

What Is the Difference Between AGL & MSL?

Above Ground Level
An AGL measurement determines the height above ground. This measurement changes as the topography of the earth changes when a plane flies above it. For example, if a plane flies a steady course at 10,000 feet above ground level initially, then a 10,000-foot-high mountain would make the AGL 0 when the two objects come together. In this scenario, the MSL would not change.

I've flown my Phantom 3 Pro to 11,682.1 feet. Since I was standing at around 11,400 feet on a Colorado mountain, I wasn't flaunting the rules. So, yes they have lift at that altitude, albeit, rather sluggish compared to the 1200' above sea level, I normally fly at in Illinois.

Reactions: grendeljaeger
All I can say is that you are an irresponsible idiot! 400ft Max is the legal altitude. How would you like to be in a plane which hits it at altitude. Think responsibly.
How could this guy have his drone climb to 8.000 ft? At least the M2P has a system altitude limit of 500 m (1.640 ft), which cannot be changed.

I've had mine at about 3600 ft. Not too bad....................of course I launched at 3200 ft.

How could this guy have his drone climb to 8.000 ft? At least the M2P has a system altitude limit of 500 m (1.640 ft), which cannot be changed.

The height limit was removed from the MP2.
Also FCC mode in CE places.
From what I hear, they are working at the NFZ now.
All solutions will not be published online.

Last edited:
Going up a mountain in I went up to 1622 ft. from where I lifted off. This was the maximum setting for my Mavic 2 Zoom. I still stayed 400 ft. or less from the ground while going up the mountain. The top of the mountain was 1250 ft. from where I lifted off. Here is the video.

Reactions: drakkor and ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54