DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How I passed my part 107 remote pilots exam

Big Bro

is watching you!
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I took my part 107 exam on Dec 29th of 2021 and wanted to share with others the process and study procedures I used to pass the exam with a 97% grade.
Below is a video I put together talking about my experience and how I studied for the test. Hope this might help others that are thinking about getting their remote pilots certificate.

I am wondering, as I have been and am studying for my Part 107. I have noticed, on the PSI site (where you register to test and pay up), they have a link at the top for "practice exams". Also, like myself and others you mention "searching" for free practice tests to take (while of course some actually recommend against taking any practice tests), but, have you tried any of the "practice exams" from/with/on the PSI site ???

Whatever system you use, make sure you're not just studying to pass the test. Passing the test is just the first step in learning how to fly a drone safely in the National Airspace System.

There are a lot of nuances in the 107 rules, although not as many as people think.

So once you pass it, make sure you continue to study and learn how to fly safe. Passing the test is just the beginning.

Thank you for this information Chunk. @Big Bro. I am taking my test in 3 weeks and I just order the book you suggest on amazon. $17 is not bad.

I am wondering, as I have been and am studying for my Part 107. I have noticed, on the PSI site (where you register to test and pay up), they have a link at the top for "practice exams". Also, like myself and others you mention "searching" for free practice tests to take (while of course some actually recommend against taking any practice tests), but, have you tried any of the "practice exams" from/with/on the PSI site ???
I didn't take the any PSI practice tests, but I certainly would, as long as they pertained to part 107. Personally, practice tests helped me gage where I stood and what areas I needed to go back over. I will tell you that the purpose of taking the tests, for me anyway, was not to memorize answers, but just a way of pointing out areas I needed to study.

I used the PSI tests as a reference when studying for my 107. So, when I took the actual test, it was all very familiar. Some of the questions were foreign to me (ADS-B stuff) but otherwise I feel that the PSI samples headed me in the right direction.

Whatever system you use, make sure you're not just studying to pass the test. Passing the test is just the first step in learning how to fly a drone safely in the National Airspace System.

There are a lot of nuances in the 107 rules, although not as many as people think.

So once you pass it, make sure you continue to study and learn how to fly safe. Passing the test is just the beginning.
I took an online course and dived deep into the the material. Copious notes and diagrams put on my iOS devices that I still refer to 2 years after the exam. I knew it was possible to find and memorize free Bootcamp stuff just to pass the exam, but for me, it was all about understanding the rules and especially Airspace.

I'm in a long study window, as I work full-time and the PSI site closest to me is about 25 miles away, so I decided to schedule it on a day I'd already be off work and in that area. So, end of June. I ccouldn't agree more about the value of having the hard copy of the testing supplement; I also bought the hard copy of the FAA study guide, and printed out Part 107. With the wealth of free study material online, I agree that if one puts in the work, a 'premium' paid course shouldn't be necessary.

There's one caveat to that, though... in one of the free online practice tests, I found one (actually may have been two) questions in which the given correct answer was blatantly wrong, so if something doesn't look right when results come back, be skeptical.

Reactions: Big Bro
Familiarizing yourself with the test supplement will be a big help. As will a magnifying glass. I'd recommend talking to your test center to see what they provide. Mine was great and provided everything I wanted and more. I've talked to others who were lucky to get the test supplement.

I'm a fan of Pilot Institute and they'll cover the cost of the retake and refund the cost of the course if you should fail. I spent about 2 1/2-3 weeks studying and scored a 93. I noticed more than one of the free sites with what I would consider incorrect answers.

Reactions: ArnieZiffel
i used remotepilot101.com and thought it pretty comprehensive. It too is lifetime courses for the signup fee. I've heard more good feedback about Pilot Institute though. I guess YMMV

Reactions: MS Coast
For that “101” study course, I watched some samples with that name on Youtube. Does that same person appear in most or all of the training videos as the on-camera instructor as well as doing the voice overs?

After listening to more samples, I’m going with Pilot Institute. Based on the teacher Greg I just like his presentation style better. But there’s one person who I can think of who I would like the most: Tony Northrop. Some training company should hire Tony Northrop as a presenter just on-camera talent for their training videos. He’s so darn good with his clear voice, expertise, and snarky comments. I would pay double for a course where he did the talking lol. Then, could send him the teleprompter script and have him record updates in his studio.

Last edited:
When you enrolled with Pilot Institute, were you directed to sso.teachable dot com ? Is this legitimate? I’m ready to sign up. After I find out from other users, I will tell you more of what happened to me. I have no connection with any of these companies - just shopping for structured quality Part 107 training (at my age).

9E742247-5F16-4318-96C1-8E743FB2527E.jpeg

When you enrolled with Pilot Institute, were you directed to sso.teachable dot com ? Is this legitimate? I’m ready to sign up. After I find out from other users, I will tell you more of what happened to me. I have no connection with any of these companies - just shopping for structured quality Part 107 training (at my age).

View attachment 147733
Yes, Teachable is the company that hosts our courses and processes the payments. Totally legit.

Teachable hosts a lot of the training courses (for various subjects) that I've taken in recent years.

I took my part 107 exam on Dec 29th of 2021 and wanted to share with others the process and study procedures I used to pass the exam with a 97% grade.
Below is a video I put together talking about my experience and how I studied for the test. Hope this might help others that are thinking about getting their remote pilots certificate.

Well Big Bro, I’d like to thank you again for taking the time with this. I looked at Udemy, Katia, and the FAA study guide, and passed with an 87. The bottom line is (as you mention): No matter what is used to prepare, one must know the material.

There ain’t no magic formula here. The questions I encountered were complex. A single question might contain several concepts, requiring multiple page turns in the test booklet, which I purchased and studied beforehand. I finished 30 minutes early and went back over my answers until time was up. None were changed. I wouldn’t call the test tricky, I would call it thorough. It wasn’t calculus, but close. That recurrent will be here before you know it. Nice that it’s online now.

Reactions: Big Bro
Well Big Bro, I’d like to thank you again for taking the time with this. I looked at Udemy, Katia, and the FAA study guide, and passed with an 87. The bottom line is (as you mention): No matter what is used to prepare, one must know the material.

There ain’t no magic formula here. The questions I encountered were complex. A single question might contain several concepts, requiring multiple page turns in the test booklet, which I purchased and studied beforehand. I finished 30 minutes early and went back over my answers until time was up. None were changed. I wouldn’t call the test tricky, I would call it thorough. It wasn’t calculus, but close. That recurrent will be here before you know it. Nice that it’s online now.
Congrats. The recurrent is less stressful for sure. I actually enjoyed going through the material for the test.

Reactions: bmcelya

Good job, congratulations! Glad I could help!

Reactions: bmcelya
I used 3 different study courses, wanted to pass and understand the material. Funny thing is only one of them mentioned actual airpot related questions which were on my exam.

Congrats. The recurrent is less stressful for sure. I actually enjoyed going through the material for the test.
Thanks snowghost. Now that I’ve managed to swallow that pre-test tennis ball in my gullet, the rest will be fun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan