DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How long did you spend preparing for the Part 107 test? (non-pilots)

I am trying to get a sense of the amount of time one should allow for preparation for the Part 107 test? Specifically, for people who do not have any pilot/flying experience. As a teacher myself, I know there are a lot of variables but I thought I could get a sense by seeing a collection of responses here from people who are drone pilots specifically.

Thanks!
I spent about 3 months off and on studying. I also joined Flight Ready Ground School ($85) and it was well worth it. I don't think I would have passed without it especially the charts section which you will not understand without help

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I probably put in about 18 hours of concentrated study over 2.5 weeks, and ran maybe 6 practice tests. Scored 96. One just plain wrong answer, and one question tripped up by tricky wording.

This was in addition to a 4cr. college course that was a very general introduction to everything drone in the context of GIS/Precision Ag, but wasn’t specifically test prep. Test orientation maybe. It did give me a pretty clear idea of what I needed to do to prep for the test, as well as flying experience, drone maintenance, state and local law affecting drones, and a good overview of drone hazards and liabilities.

There are lots of things one should know that are not covered in the test! For a Pt. 107 pilot building a business or using a drone in their employment it’s probably (at least) 9.5 hours ground work for every half-hour in the air. OK, I made up those numbers, but you get the idea.
Hey, SethB…just curious about “where” you took the 4 cr. college course, did you do it via online or in class, and whether you feel like it was pretty helpful to you in general?

A couple of weeks elapsed time. Then 2 - 3 nights review lesson up to the test. I bought this book which has pre-tests. Best $40 I spent. The online practice test questions where very similar to the actual test.

Remote Pilot Test Prep 2021: Study & Prepare: Pass your Part 107 test and know what is essential to safely operate an unmanned aircraft from the most ... training (eBundle) (ASA Test Prep Series) Remote Pilot Test Prep 2021: Study & Prepare: Pass your Part 107 test and know what is essential to safely operate an unmanned aircraft from the most ... training (eBundle) (ASA Test Prep Series): ASA Test Prep Board: 9781619549838: Amazon.com: Books

All that information is available on the FAA site...I found it easier to understand when it was presented as a video..and what you would ordinarily read is explained with visual assists and models

I wasn't in any hurry. I was taking care of my wife and just studied for a month 1-2 hours every few days. 86 I think it was on my testing and I took my time during the test for an hour and a half. This was back in October 2017. Recurrent April 6, 2021.

Signed up for a Drone school for 107, studied for 7 days and passed no prior knowledge at all. I know where my weak spots are, and reviewed those in depth after, and still learning more plus have other means of getting info (like UAV Forecast instead of trying to get the FAA Weather report for an area and deciphering it).

A test score doesn't really mean anything to me besides I passed and have my license. If the score mattered to me, I probably would say 2 weeks, about 2 hours a day. I spent a little over 12 hours total, and to get a good score, I'd recommend 25 hrs. It really isn't hard, there is just a lot of little things about it to memorize (and I do not memorize things quick, but I do learn quick). I like to learn by application and usage, more than book work.

Hey, SethB…just curious about “where” you took the 4 cr. college course, did you do it via online or in class, and whether you feel like it was pretty helpful to you in general?
This was a few years ago in GEO248 Fundamentals of Drone Operations at Portland Community College. It is an operations course that develops piloting skills and explores GIS, Precision Ag and photo/video applications. We spent some time on the federal regulatory environment *and* state/local laws affecting the operating environment, including privacy and navigating gov/private property rights.

Such a course does not replace test prep or practice exams, in my experience. Some would go on to self-study for the Pt. 107 exam, some would do a license prep course.

For people thinking about commercial operations a course like this is super helpful. Many community colleges in the U.S. offer them, some credit, some non-credit.

I’m involved in another department at PCC, Multimedia / Video Production & Emerging Media, where we have a Drone Videography operations-oriented course in the works.

If something like these operations courses feels like it would be of value they are out there! I benefitted a lot from the intro/survey approach, feeling that I knew what to do with my Pt. 107 certificate.

Note to those unfamiliar with the commercial drone license, there is very little about state/local/private concerns and nothing on flying skills in the exam. Nothing about application areas, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJack91986
I'm 77 and my short term memory is going to ****. So I studied 3 or 4 times a week for a month until I got stuff in my long term memory and took a week off before the test. I only used You tube Northrup, Katias Buzz, Drone U and a few practice test.
I expected to "Ace " the test but got tripped up on a few new regulations that were not covered on You tube. I got a 88 .
I took the course to get a little more freedom flying. I had no experience in aviation of any kind but was a Army Photographer back in the last century . I did do some aerial photography.
The test, and Mavic air 2 (my first drone) are already paid for by the few real estate & construction progress jobs I have done. Just keeping my brain active.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor