DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How long do hazard NFZs stay in effect?

Marko9219

Reactions
I live exactly on the border of some BLM land in south west Utah. We recently had a big wildfire here and a NFZ was put in place. We had lots of air support fighting it. OK, the fire is out, the aircraft are all gone, and the crews have all left. But the NFZ is still in effect. How long will I be grounded?

I live exactly on the border of some BLM land in south west Utah. We recently had a big wildfire here and a NFZ was put in place. We had lots of air support fighting it. OK, the fire is out, the aircraft are all gone, and the crews have all left. But the NFZ is still in effect. How long will I be grounded?
It should tell you in AirMap or B4UFly

Sometimes the TFR is lifted early, and DJI's "FlySafe" doesn't catch up very quickly. In such cases, you can easily file for a manual/custom unlock.

But be *absolutely* certain the TFR has been lifted before you do that, because DJI won't validate it. They'll just unlock it for you, and it's all on you to make sure you're flying legally.

Here's where I live. No active NFZ any longer. DJI hasn't kept up it seems. Interesting part is day before yesterday I flew all around the place, no problem. Today, it wouldn't let me fly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200726-205353_B4UFLY.png
    Screenshot_20200726-205353_B4UFLY.png
    493 KB · Views: 6
Here's where I live. No active NFZ any longer. DJI hasn't kept up it seems. Interesting part is day before yesterday I flew all around the place, no problem. Today, it wouldn't let me fly.

There is still an active TFR, with a scheduled end date of August 26, but it looks like you are just south of it.

IMG_68D8D30A4ECE-1.jpeg

Yeah that one is a different fire to the north and east a ways. It's weird I flew no problem 2 days ago but not today. That other NFZ boundary is miles from me

Yeah that one is a different fire to the north and east a ways. It's weird I flew no problem 2 days ago but not today. That other NFZ boundary is miles from me

Without knowing which TFR you are referring there's not much more to say.

I started flying out there the day after the fires ended. B4UFly gave a thumbs up, no warnings or restrictions though I must tell you I did encounter a couple of water dropping helicopters at about 300 feet and of course I stayed out of their way accordingly.

WDK

I started flying out there the day after the fires ended. B4UFly gave a thumbs up, no warnings or restrictions though I must tell you I did encounter a couple of water dropping helicopters at about 300 feet and of course I stayed out of their way accordingly.

WDK
This is just lil ol' me talkin here but... If I saw firefighting operations going on, I probably wouldn't fly.

Again, just my .02¢

Reactions: iaincaradoc

WDK
Flying by is not the same as an on going operation. As I said B4UFLY gave me the ok and as always it says be on your guard and that I certainly was. Out of the 5 days I was out there after the fires were out, flying three batteries 20 minutes a piece, I saw two choppers, different days and was aware because they were on my screen so I lowered myself to 40 feet well out of their path.

WDK

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sam the Slam