DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How long do props last?

sitecre8r

Reactions
Hi,

Assuming there have been no accidents, how long should propellers last?

Do they last forever?

Presumably not, so in which case, what interval should there be between pro-actively replacing them?

For the small cost of props, relative to the potentially very high cost of catastrophic failure, should I just replace them every 20 hours, say?

Thanks,

SC

There are several threads and polls on the subject on this forum with lots of answers already, quick search?

I check my props after each flight and clean any debris from them. If they are not unduly worn, they should, in theory, last forever.

Carefully inspect the prop edges, top/bottom of the hub area, and the rivets prior to each flight. If all looks good, you're good to go. The average Mavic pilot should be able to use them for years if they aren't damaged.

I treat my Mavic props like I treated my Cessna prop. Check before each flight, if no nicks, or other damage, you're good to go. I have noticed, with my Mavic, when you start it up, and reach take off speed, out of balance or damaged props make a much noticeable change in pitch sound, so you can return to take off position, check each prop to find the source of vibration. I generally wipe blades off after each flight now, to remove anything that may have gotten attached to the blades, bits of grass, bugs, whatever. Other than that, those original blades should last years

I treat my Mavic props like I treated my Cessna prop. Check before each flight, if no nicks, or other damage, you're good to go. I have noticed, with my Mavic, when you start it up, and reach take off speed, out of balance or damaged props make a much noticeable change in pitch sound, so you can return to take off position, check each prop to find the source of vibration. I generally wipe blades off after each flight now, to remove anything that may have gotten attached to the blades, bits of grass, bugs, whatever. Other than that, those original blades should last years
Well said. I actually do a preflight (not totally dissimilar to those when I fly my Apache) every time before I lift off. Checking for properly fastened props, prop condition, all flight control systems, etc, is a good way to save some serious down time.

Reactions: Doug Lare
Well said. I actually do a preflight (not totally dissimilar to those when I fly my Apache) every time before I lift off. Checking for properly fastened props, prop condition, all flight control systems, etc, is a good way to save some serious down time.

@vkm, what are the items in your preflight checklist? For the Mavic, not the Apache :)

Lol, well, the Apache is a different pre-post flight check, but sone things seem very similar....

Hope this helps...If I missed anything major, please feel free to add to the list...

DRONE

1. Overall inspection for any foreign objects, issues that stand out (grass in prop hub area, etc...)
2. Check for any loose parts (especially the engine nacelles, etc)
3. Check all props for proper seat and fastening (check props for damage while I am at it...)
4. Inspect camera/gimbal/filters for fitment (and again, for binding, or object interference...I once found a stick lodged behind my gimbal housing...I don't fly into high grass, etc. for landings...I have no idea how it got there, lol)
5. Check battery for proper seating
6. Check that SIM card is properly inserted/door is closed
7. I always check the rotor arms to be sure they are secure and in proper position
8. Upon startup, check that all lights and indicators are showing proper sequence
9. This is personal...I ALWAYS celebrate my compass. It's just ingrained, lol.
10. Listen for any "chatter" or unusual noises on power, and upon first takeoff and hover...

CONTROLLER

1. Make sure antennas are properly fastened and in proper alignment for flight
2. Check for any warnings on power-up
3. Double check for secure fit of phone (I use an iPhone X or tablet for mine)
4. Besides the obvious preflight check for connection with the craft and with your iPhone, I also check to see if the connection strength varies over, say 30 sec to a minute...it's a good indicator of local interference.
5. Check to be sure home point is set to my liking
6. Check my pic settings (still and video)
7. ONCE IN AIR...check both sticks for proper movement and response before flying off into the wild blue yonder, lol

(I left out the obvious things like where you are flying, restrictions, other traffic, obstacles, etc...those should be inherent in any person's responsible pre-flight, lol. so I won't bore you with them...)

Each time I land to change batteries, I do a quick once over visually, and a fresh stick-check in hover...

When I land for the final time, I recheck the bird for visual damage, etc. one final time...

There may be a few others, but those will help keep the bird healthy and flying....

Sincerely,
Kevin

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying