DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How long should an update take

Mike6158

Random Pixel Generator
Reactions
I took my Mavic 2 Pro outside about an hour ago with the intention of flying it. It asked if I wanted to update it. I did. It got to 73% about 20m ago and that's where it's been ever since. The drone will fly but all I see on my phone is the update screen with the file folder flinging across the screen. The controller has magnetic interference flashing across the display (that's bullsh*t). I've moved it all around the yard (the yard is about 1.5 acres) and it never stops flashing magnetic interference or finishes the download. I've got everything in the house right now... no change.

Like this:

p3882753477-4.jpg

As you can see, it won't be long before the phone dies. It had plenty of charge an hour ago.

It's easier to fly a real aircraft.

Last edited:
Did you update outside? If so, I would take it back inside to try and update again. I would never want to chance it losing WIFI connection in the middle of a firmware update.

Also, if it didn't complete updating, I would not try to fly the aircraft.

The mag interference is not relevant until you get that update figured out.

Chris

It was about 5' away from the router. The cell phone WiFi always works there (and much farther). I live 6 miles from town so I can turn my WiFi power all the way up and not have to worry about some wingnut trying to hack my system.

That said, if I can't stop the phone, app, or drone (per the warnings) how do I try the update again?

The other error

p3882765572-4.jpg

p3882765569-4.jpg

An update can fail for more than one reason, so it may not have been a hiccup in the WIFI connection.

I've had an interrupted firmware update in the past and while I offer no guarantees, the solution for those was to power everything off and start over with the update, giving it plenty of time. However, that's not happened for me with Mavics (my previous experience was with Phantoms).

You might want to wait to see if someone else here replies with direct Mavic experience, just to be sure you don't brick the thing.

Just a note: mag interference can also happen without there being actual interference. The Mavic will throw this error if you have traveled a certain distance, requiring compass corrections for declination. It's lame that they use the same message for that, but I just wanted to make sure you're aware than you can have that message without actual interference.

Chris

When updating, sometimes is hangs, I've found it'll usually start back up after a worrisome delay. 20 minutes? Maybe, I didn't time it, but it's always started back up again.

The phone died so there wasn't much choice for what to do next. I left the controller and drone connected and plugged in my ipad mini. When I started the app it connected and everything looked normal. I logged in, let the app update it's geo fencing "stuff", and set the app up (it had never been connected to the Mavic 2 Pro). No mag errors or anything like that. I don't have a long enough cable to fly with the iPad Mini (yet) but took everything outside and flew it in a low hover. No problems other than now I want to ditch the phone and fly with the iPad all the time.

I think Chris was right about the WiFi disconnect. My worrisome delay was almost an hour. I'll try it with the phone tomorrow.

Reactions: Skyflyer129
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980