DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How low do you fly your batteries?

Papa Echo

Reactions
Until now I didn't go below 20% of battery level.
After my last flight of my Air 3 I looked at the battery levels. The level was at 20% and the Voltage per cell was at 3.54V while the Air 3 was standing on the ground. So I hovered for a while and watched the cell voltages. It came down to 3.46V per cell until I landed at 16%.
The Air 3 has Li-Ion batteries and these batteries are usually save to drain them to 3.0V. At this voltage they drop quickly. Some datasheets say that you can go down to 2.75V and some batteries even down to 2.5V.

My question is: how low do you go with your batteries? Do you check the Voltage before takeoff and after landing? What is the Voltage under load at 10% or 0%? Please tell your model and battery type.

DJI drones don't let the voltage go down to the point it damages the battery 0% is not really 0%, the problem is, if you don't charge the battery soon and leave it uncharged, the voltage will drop and it will die.

Plan your flights so you land at 30-20%, you want to avoid the phase where the drone enters battery saving protocols that cap the max amperage, else if it's windy, you'll lose the drone. You also want to avoid the beeping phase and the auto landing phase, as they are annoying.

On the other hand, landing at 30-20% allows some juice in case something doesn't go as expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldwest2
As I said in my opening post, I don't go below 20%. It could happen that I land at 50%. That's perfect for the battery. If I am below 40% I charge the battery back to 50% as soon as I am at home.
Does no one look at the voltage?
I always look at the voltage before I take off. I just want to make sure that the cells are equal and the battery is good. Recently I started looking at the voltage after the flight. And that's when I noticed that 20% is enough juice to keep flying. My next flight will be down to 10%. And of course I'll recharge the battery asap.

I plan on landing with 25-30% left if I'm flying somewhere with few opportunities to land. If the drone is close by (50 m away, say) I'll land with 20% left.

I have multiple batteries, and figure the hassle of changing a battery is less than the hassle of losing the drone when it auto-lands in the canopy of a forest!

I always look at the voltage before I take off. I just want to make sure that the cells are equal and the battery is good.
The voltage before takeoff isn’t the best way to assess the state of the battery - that is what the controller is indicating for you anyway. If you want to check cell condition you need to accelerate upwards quickly to put load on the cells and then check the logs post flight for any significant voltage discrepancy between individual cells.

Until now I didn't go below 20% of battery level.
After my last flight of my Air 3 I looked at the battery levels. The level was at 20% and the Voltage per cell was at 3.54V while the Air 3 was standing on the ground. So I hovered for a while and watched the cell voltages. It came down to 3.46V per cell until I landed at 16%.
The Air 3 has Li-Ion batteries and these batteries are usually save to drain them to 3.0V. At this voltage they drop quickly. Some datasheets say that you can go down to 2.75V and some batteries even down to 2.5V.

My question is: how low do you go with your batteries? Do you check the Voltage before takeoff and after landing? What is the Voltage under load at 10% or 0%? Please tell your model and battery type.
I bring all my drones back when they tell me to. Sorry, not too technical about it, and that’s the way I like it.

Reactions: cameracamel
I use an extended battery with my Mini 3. It is not build by DJI, and the recommendation from the builder is that it should never get below 10%. I take 20% as the min safe level.

For DJI batteries I don't know exactly what is the minimum, but as a precaution I also take it to be 20%.

Depends what I'm doing with it, if im battery testing or distance testing or flight length test then i run it down until it has no choice but to land.

Is it bad for the battery, I asked that question and in essence no its not, the batteries show 0% but in fact have more than enough voltage to stay above tolerances.

On this occasion i was chasing the Mythical 30 minutes of flight time which I succeeded in achieving

battery.jpg

Depends what I'm doing with it, if im battery testing or distance testing or flight length test then i run it down until it has no choice but to land.

Is it bad for the battery, I asked that question and in essence no its not, the batteries show 0% but in fact have more than enough voltage to stay above tolerances.

On this occasion i was chasing the Mythical 30 minutes of flight time which I succeeded in achieving

View attachment 177635
I think you could also check the voltage in the DJI Fly app. That's the relevant data.

You are probably right that 0% does not harm the battery.

Which app or software do you use to get this picture?

When you get your warning at 20%, does it mean you are landing with less than 20%?
No, it will calculate the distance to the return home point, the drones height to initiate the return home with the approximate set percentage, but wind speed could alter the percentage left based on the drone flying into a headwind. So I like the 20% rule to allow for unknown variances.

Reactions: Max Headroom
I trust the DJI algorithm, and come back when it tells me to.

In 10 years the only time this has failed me was with my DJI FPV... I was within 100', and kept flying around until it forced me down ½ a block away.

Reactions: Oldwest2
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr