DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many cops does it take to ticket a drone operator at Daytona Bike Week?

Until the guy in question or someone that knows the specific details shows up here and reveals them, speculating on what MIGHT have happened is all we can do.

I simply SUGGESTED what might have been the cause for the police stepping in. I wasn't criticizing the man nor even assuming that flying over a group of people was the offense. It was nothing but a logical guess.

Mark
Fair enough. I sometimes get weary of folks immediately assuming the worst about the drone pilot. In the environment described here, I get the impression that the police are pretty much "locked and loaded" and just waiting to jump on someone, although that, too, is just an impression and not necessarily a fact. I just continue to be amazed that the laws and regulations treat my 1.6 lb. little drone like I was flying a 60,000 lb. F18 fully loaded with armament. I confess that I am not a big believer in a rule for every occasion, and that sometimes affects my attitude toward these things.

I never expected all this drama when we bought the little Mavic just to shoot a little video and a few photos.

Let me be clear... Screw the police if they hassled him for no reason other than just flying a drone (no specific rule or law violation took place). But *if* he was flying directly over groups of people then he deserved to be hassled.

This forum is filled with stories from people whose drones fell out of the air while flying them due to the battery become dislodged, etc. A drone dropping from an altitude of just a couple dozen feet could seriously injure (or even kill) someone. Flying over groups of people is a stupid thing to do. And just because 99% of the people that do it do it without incident doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Again, *if* that is what he was doing. Purely speculation.

Mark

Reactions: deleted member 877
A drone dropping from an altitude of just a couple dozen feet could seriously injure (or even kill) someone. Flying over groups of people is a stupid thing to do. And just because 99% of the people that do it do it without incident doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Again, *if* that is what he was doing. Purely speculation.

Mark

Very well said! Unfortunately, there are people (thankfully a significant minority) who will never get this and will keep on doing all of the stupid things.

Fortunately as drone detection and identification technology is improved and more widely implemented more of these bad apples will be discouraged from continuing to cause problems for us all.

There are no actual LAWS for drones other than the FAA laws and local law enforcement don't know the laws of the FAA and therefore would not be within there jurisdiction to wrote a ticket of any sorts concerning FAA drone laws. FAA is government enforcement and the FAA would have to be the ones to investigate. Local law enforcement could only tell you to put it away unless you were breaking some other local law ie: trespassing or whatever...... Being on public property and flying a drone is totally legal and local law don't police the FAA laws.....

There are no actual LAWS for drones other than the FAA laws and local law enforcement don't know the laws of the FAA and therefore would not be within there jurisdiction to wrote a ticket of any sorts concerning FAA drone laws. FAA is government enforcement and the FAA would have to be the ones to investigate. Local law enforcement could only tell you to put it away unless you were breaking some other local law ie: trespassing or whatever...... Being on public property and flying a drone is totally legal and local law don't police the FAA laws.....

Most states and within each state, local municipalities, now have their own drone ordinances, a.k.a. laws. With regards to Daytona Beach PD, several of their officers have been trained and are familiar with drones and drone laws.

Local PD can and will enforce drone laws AND forward your info to the nearest FSDO for further investigation.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the guidelines/rules/regulations/laws (whatever you want to call them) were crystal clear and standard across all states and levels of jurisdiction?! This and other discussion forums are top heavy with content related to this totally absurd state of affairs.

What a shameful waste of everyone's time. Is there ever going to be light at the end of the tunnel in terms of clarity so that everyone can get on the same page?

Nope I’m still going with a mavic 2. Look at the picture below. You can see the white which would be the “DJI” logo on the back. Right above the white you can see the rear facing sensor. It has fins on the back sides for air flow.

d62319e472077183d775a22ab9891e6c.jpg

Yea I’ll give you that. I’m looking on a smaller screen but that shot looks like it is a mav

That is a zoom of a different pic though, right?

I did wonder why the x4 would be used here

Yea I’ll give you that. I’m looking on a smaller screen but that shot looks like it is a mav

That is a zoom of a different pic though, right?

I did wonder why the x4 would be used here
yes that is of a different shot. In the other picture the chair was in the way of the drone and when zoomed it it distorted the image.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki