DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many of you do compass calibration before take off?

Wow thats alot of flights and definitely proves compass calibration isn't needed in most situations

With my older P2s, P3s and P4 I usually calibrated if I had moved more than 100 miles but don't do that any more. I just got back from a month in Alaska where I flew in many places and it flew perfectly every time without calibration. Now I'll just calibrate if it says it's needed.

When I first got my Phantom 3 Standard and was setting it up, I believe the manual mentioned to calibrate the compass before the first flight. I would also calibrate when travelling at least 100 miles form the last location I flew. I just got my new mavic setup last night, I haven't flown it yet. After updating the firmware I turned the mavic and controller off and then turned it back on. the screen went through all the pre flight checks, compass was normal. I've read through this whole thread and didn't see an answer, my question is should the compass be calibrated in my mavic before my first flight? Or just calibrate when asked to by the app?

When I first got my Phantom 3 Standard and was setting it up, I believe the manual mentioned to calibrate the compass before the first flight. I would also calibrate when travelling at least 100 miles form the last location I flew. I just got my new mavic setup last night, I haven't flown it yet. After updating the firmware I turned the mavic and controller off and then turned it back on. the screen went through all the pre flight checks, compass was normal. I've read through this whole thread and didn't see an answer, my question is should the compass be calibrated in my mavic before my first flight? Or just calibrate when asked to by the app?

Doing it often won't hurt

Reactions: mguti
So when I had my P3S I used to calibrate before every flight. When I got the Mavic, I calibrated it once during initial flight and haven't re-calibrated it since. I live in Austin and am now taking a vacation in Newport Beach. Flown the Mavic multiple times since being here (over land and ocean) and have had no issues. I did not re-calibrate the compass when I got to Newport Beach. Just be cautious/aware about where you take off from, e.g. buildings with rebar or steel, parking structures, etc.

So when I had my P3S I used to calibrate before every flight. When I got the Mavic, I calibrated it once during initial flight and haven't re-calibrated it since. I live in Austin and am now taking a vacation in Newport Beach. Flown the Mavic multiple times since being here (over land and ocean) and have had no issues. I did not re-calibrate the compass when I got to Newport Beach. Just be cautious/aware about where you take off from, e.g. buildings with rebar or steel, parking structures, etc.

So when ya have an issue and it dumps in the ocean you will wish ya had taken the 60secs to calibrate, not calibrating when rolling to new locations isn't smart, the app asks you to calibrate often, why ignore it? Should be part of pre flight checks, if you wanna fly safely.

Read page 52 of the Mavic Pro manual.
To quote
"Only calibrate the compass when the DJI GO 4 app or the status indicator prompt you to do so. Observe
the following rules when calibrating your compass:"

Reactions: mguti
So when ya have an issue and it dumps in the ocean you will wish ya had taken the 60secs to calibrate, not calibrating when rolling to new locations isn't smart, the app asks you to calibrate often, why ignore it? Should be part of pre flight checks, if you wanna fly safely.
You may be right but the app has never asked me to re-calibrate.

Just the button taking you to the calibration. Look at the sensor status page. Mine was only out of the green when I started the Mavic up next to a large electro magnet!
Exactly, that button doesn't mean you to calibrate. It is always there.

If it's turning red each time then you have bigger problems than needing to calibrate..

Never said it turns red, I always get the prompt saying calibrate, so I have zippo issue taking 30secs to do it, can only help the bird will not hurt it.

Again, as already mentioned, it is not a prompt screen

You do not need to calibrate each flight and it can be harmful if you do one without realising you're near metallic structures

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR