DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many people got a new Mavic Mini today and already crashed?

First flight outside today and took it very steady after calibrations.

Although there was little wind, it did seem to move a little more than I expected however the camera was stable and it never looked as though it was having trouble.

GPS took a longer than my MP to lock on but maybe that was because it was it's first flight as after a 15 seconds in the air and 3m up all was OK. I tried the flight modes and other basic movements and was impressed. Touch screen operations are really simple and intuitive which makes things easy.

Other thoughts - battery low warning came up earlier than expected given remaining flight time on display; it really is low to the ground so I'll need to get used to hand launching / landing; props put up a good fight when trying to put it back in the case.

Overall I'm very happy.
Touch screen is ok however the important info at the top isn't separated into a bar as with the Pro etc and can be very hard to read in clear conditions!

I got mine on the 23rd of this month, so far the only issue I've had was that I decided to fly around the ranch at night, brought it down and into the house through an open gate, the moment it went under the roof it totally lost control and crashed into a gate after struggling to keep it from sporadically dashing across the room in every dimension. Guessing it was the underside sensors failing to see the floor texture and the GPS losing links to all satellites. Nothing happened to it but I still felt awful. The little thing has been great for sending a mile down the ranch to quickly go see what's going on wherever without driving out there.

Last edited:
I got mine for Christmas and no crashes yet. Lots to learn, taking it slow, reading and watching! One close call when on the other side of football field, I think I was trying to rotate and was actually descending. Recovered at 0.3 m altitude!

I've had mine since November 11th. The only incident I've had is when my 5 year old smacked it out of the air with his cub scout American Flag... talk about seeing stars literally. Luckily I just happend to have the prop guards on since is was flying in the backyard, close quarters. Just a couple scratches.

The Mini has been pretty much flawless for me.

hoping the best for mine. I live on a lake in Central NY, but am afraid to fly it near the water after reading all the mishaps.

No Pride... Mini is a Fun one to play with!
I've not crashed any of my large platforms: I1, I2, M600Pro, M210, P4P, S1000... all Mavics, EVO, PowerEgg, Yuneec H520, etc.
BUT... the Mini.. it's a fun little craft to just zip around. It's extremely stable indoors, and in mild winds continues to perform with stability outside.

That said... and added to the "Fun Factor"... equates to a "Play Mindset". aka: Pending-crash.
Attempting to perform a low light (dusk) landing on top of a neighborhood cluster mailbox at a distance... visually, no screen connected can make ya miss 'yer mark. The little Fellow partially missing the Deck & takes a fall... Opps #1. Amazingly it landed on it's feet, restarted and got airborne on it's own... tough little Fellow! On the way back to the yard... had to challenge my Wife's wind chimes hanging in the trees. Had to see if I could fly between them... Opps #2, little twig sent the little Fellow to the ground. Brought it inside for a little FPV through the hallways and up the stairs. Opps #3, while motivating the cats to move, a picture frame above on wall took it down! Lastly, attempting to fly under the chandelier's little dangly glass things... if zipping along, no problem... you can Mustang your self down, speed under and soar back to the ceiling for a spin & repeat. But if you slam the brakes on to turn... Opps #4, the table below triggers the belly sensor to raise... yep, into the glass dangles... by the time it ricocheted between the glass obstacles and spat itself out to the floor... the wire stringing the glass destroyed a few props.

Always a positive outlook...
The various falls caused the belly body panel to shift out of it's little indent pins. Mandated removing a few screws and readjusting the panels... presented the opportunity to learn a little disassembly of the craft and prop change.

Beat that one... Double Dog Dare Ya!!

Reactions: Indiana_pyro
No Pride... Mini is a Fun one to play with!
I've not crashed any of my large platforms: I1, I2, M600Pro, M210, P4P, S1000... all Mavics, EVO, PowerEgg, Yuneec H520, etc.
BUT... the Mini.. it's a fun little craft to just zip around. It's extremely stable indoors, and in mild winds continues to perform with stability outside.

That said... and added to the "Fun Factor"... equates to a "Play Mindset". aka: Pending-crash.
Attempting to perform a low light (dusk) landing on top of a neighborhood cluster mailbox at a distance... visually, no screen connected can make ya miss 'yer mark. The little Fellow partially missing the Deck & takes a fall... Opps #1. Amazingly it landed on it's feet, restarted and got airborne on it's own... tough little Fellow! On the way back to the yard... had to challenge my Wife's wind chimes hanging in the trees. Had to see if I could fly between them... Opps #2, little twig sent the little Fellow to the ground. Brought it inside for a little FPV through the hallways and up the stairs. Opps #3, while motivating the cats to move, a picture frame above on wall took it down! Lastly, attempting to fly under the chandelier's little dangly glass things... if zipping along, no problem... you can Mustang your self down, speed under and soar back to the ceiling for a spin & repeat. But if you slam the brakes on to turn... Opps #4, the table below triggers the belly sensor to raise... yep, into the glass dangles... by the time it ricocheted between the glass obstacles and spat itself out to the floor... the wire stringing the glass destroyed a few props.

Always a positive outlook...
The various falls caused the belly body panel to shift out of it's little indent pins. Mandated removing a few screws and readjusting the panels... presented the opportunity to learn a little disassembly of the craft and prop change.

Beat that one... Double Dog Dare Ya!!

Im into your fun with the MM. My attitude is for $500.00, Im gonna have some fun. If need be, I will just buy another one.

Im into your fun with the MM. My attitude is for $500.00, Im gonna have some fun. If need be, I will just buy another one.
Yep... exactly, it's more a fun flyer than a tool.
The Telos was similar but the Mini is much more fun!

Plus, at $500 ya gain a 2nd charger and 3 more batteries. I have decided, the next one purchased, after seeing it's a bit fragile, the small amount for the 1 yr care is worth it... small cost to replace twice w low fees.

Yup im joining the crash club here. Got it on xmas, decided to power it on and not read directions and go fly it at night in the backyard. I smacked the house twice yikes. Drone is ok but some scratches on the propellors. I have an extra set so will replace them eventually. Other than that, have been flying with the propellor protectors until I can get a hang of flying this thing but it's so much fun.

Mistakes I've made with my mavic mini in 25 flights:
1. Front lens is thin and cracked out when hitting thin branches in sport mode when zooming in between 2 trees. Video quality is fine without front lens in place, but not as aerodynamic in sport mode.
2. Took off next to my hot-tub one cold night, hot tub was putting off a LOT of fog. It took off, updated home point, then followed the fog on it's own, right into the brick wall of my house. What I get from this was, it thought the fog was the ground and the sensors thought it was drifting backwards, so it followed the fog instead of relying on GPS ?
3. Strong winds at the ocean carried my mini out over the ocean yesterday and I could not get it back against the winds. ( I made a post about it). It's gone.

But other then that it's been GREAT ! ?

• Haha
Reactions: CJ333 and Manx

EXACTLY ! A fun thing I discovered a few weeks ago, that I would never attempt with my mavic pro. I have a large pond on my property. It was frozen over with smooth ice. I would go in sport mode, about 2 feet above the ice full speed, do a U-turn and while it was sliding in reverse, push down and land on the ice, sliding the drone across the ice maybe 15 feet and elevate again. At that speed, it didn't know it would touch down and didn't go into landing mode. It was very fun and predictable. I could do it over and over again.

Got mine today but due to wind, I fell for the temptation to do a simple flight in the living room. First flight went without issues.

Unfortunately I had no memory card so I got the urge to try it a second time an hour later. By now, it was dark outside, possibly impacting the conditions indoor and I noticed how the drone drifted. Not a big deal until I wanted a cool shoot in the mirror. Got the shot but then had to move backward to avoid drifting into the mirror. During this, I rotated and moved into a lamp and got tangled. Decided to kill the power and fortunately the drone was tangled enough to not drop to the floor. Unfortunately both back pair propellers got scratch mark on them.

Lesson learned:

I will not fly in house again and definitely not in somewhat poor lightning condition.
Protection guard isn't a guarantee that you're not going to damage your propellers.

Yep... exactly, it's more a fun flyer than a tool.
The Telos was similar but the Mini is much more fun!

Plus, at $500 ya gain a 2nd charger and 3 more batteries. I have decided, the next one purchased, after seeing it's a bit fragile, the small amount for the 1 yr care is worth it... small cost to replace twice w low fees.
I' looking for a battery for the S1000? Any ideas?

I' looking for a battery for the S1000? Any ideas?
Congrats on the S1000... nice craft. Not quite done w my custom build-up but it'll be a nice one w 18" props & motors! The S1000 in stock form (15 props and motors), not sure what payload you intend... that would effect battery size a bit.

But I'm sold on the Tattu Plus series... the plus gives the standard style (non DJI) LiPo a little intelligence to go into storage mode and monitor the battery's condition... not overly heavy on circuitry but enough. Plus, I like the sealed case too.

Take a look at Tattu Plus... you might be able to rig up a tandem setup too. I placed 2 in single column with a Y-connector for that extra time and assurance if one failed it'd stay up to safely land. Using a loud battery alarm works too, you can hear that high pitch from pretty good distance. Maybe 2x 10000 units

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis