DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How much do you charge!

Good afternoon to all-

This is a very interesting discussion.
There's small chance I will ever need to know the going rate for drone photo services in my area, but since I do use drone photography in my work- outdoor magazine journalism stuff, I guess that the going rates of drone services is of some minor concern to me. My photo work is figured in to the payment I get from magazine, so there's no need for me to worry about billing for such work.
However, I have seen much the same situation as is being discussed in this thread in other lines of work- it's not just drone photography work. Fishing guides, ground-based photographer, any sort of private contractor who does skilled work is in the same situation. I've seen start-up folks come in to an area and undercut the standard work rates and I have seen this action cause a lot of anger and antagonism in the other professional.
I've seen folks get into a skilled activity just for the "fun" of it and take work away from other established folks. and I've seen some uncomfortable situations arise because of this.
so, when I am asked to do any sort of drone photography work- there are no other full or even part time professional in my part of the world, I make sure it is known I doing this work as a favor and no money is to be changed hands.

I have enough trouble already without possibly getting another drone shooter mad at me.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed
Assuming you have your Part 107 because even taking photos for someone else's use for free, is illegal for you to do without a part 107.

Good evening to all-

Brother, assume what you wish. I fly my drones and take my pictures. If that's the worst illegal thing I do, I'd say I'm doing just fine.
you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Think of it this way.

Cymruflyer is right and I hope you agree...

All these folks reminding you that you need to maintain the status quo for payments for jobs is like watching an episode of "Shipping Wars" where folks who transport items across the country bid to get each and every job and the show makes it out real "cut-throat…" as they undercut each other to get a transport job.

Folks who depend on using their drone to pay the rent, put food on the table, etc… are right. This is a new industry and the paying public is not knowledgeable in the intricacies of the Droning for profit. What it cost to not just to buy gas, oil, tires, insurance, wear and tear on your vehicle, then the cost of buying maintaining your equipment, your own insurance in case you hit, damage, or injure someone, and perhaps the most important commodity, your time…

I am in a college course that leads to a Technicians Certificate and I'm preparing to take my Part 107 license and the folks in my classes are all serious droners who want to get into the industry.

I am also retired, but I'm taking the classes for fun, I have no intention of trying to compete with the folks in my class for the few jobs that actually pay.

The one driving force to get my 107 is my neighbors, my friends, and my relatives, do not believe that it is illegal for me to fly my drone over their home and video tape the chimney, the shingles, the gutters, etc… I've printed off the FAA's web page to show them what a recreational flyer can do, but they say, "whose gonna know?" Well, I know these folks and I know they will brag or gossip and then everyone will know…

But I digress, you have every right to vie for every job out there, but I suggest, even ask; heck, implore you to act as responsible entrepreneur and bid a fair price on your work.

You say you are retired so if you are like me, you remember lots of Mom 'n Pop shops from your youth. There was family owned little market in my neighborhood when I was growing up and the Schallers who owned the market let the kinds actually run a tab. Well, in the early 1960s, a major grocery chain, Grand Union, put up a supermarket about a half-mile away. The prices were cheaper and perhaps the items were a bit fresher, but no one working there knew your name.

The Schallers tried to hold on but after a year, with reduced patronage, they had to close. And after 3 or 4 years, Grand Union, without enough sales, they also closed down and we were without any nearby market or grocery store…

Don't be Grand Union…

In my experience there are low markets, mid markets, and high markets for all kinds of digital media production services. Including drone photography, videography, and cinematography.

There will always be people doing the desperate “shipping wars” scramble because they *are* participating in a commodity market. It’s really hard to be good enough, to be efficient enough, and to have enough consistency in being hired to make a living doing low market work. Still, some people can do this, because there is always a customer looking for lowest price. If you can do low cost better than others in your area and can endure while you build your pipeline of work you can shrug off the snipes calling you an undercutter. There is always demand for least cost, and little chance that those customers will migrate to mid market providers. It’s real work, some people succeed in it.

There are mid and high market customers too, who want more than most low market operators can provide. Great example: One of our former students broke into drone photo/video work for high market and luxury realtors. It helped that they had built the kind of portfolio that said that they were a credible provider in a high market.

Reactions: LoudThunder
There are mid and high market customers too, who want more than most low market operators can provide. Great example: One of our former students broke into drone photo/video work for high market and luxury realtors. It helped that they had built the kind of portfolio that said that they were a credible provider in a high market.
Good points, If I was in the market, I would have to charge less than others simply because I fly a mini 2 and it has less capability that other upscale drones. And a good point on the portfolio…

Unfortunately, MANY people shop based on price, hence Amazon and Walmart and we would be ignorant and stupid to think otherwise! If LICENSED pilots all stood together and charged a roughly acknowledged rates it would benefit ALL pilots. The problem is the hobbyists willing to fly for Pennies without an license or insurance!

This happened in the roofing industry to the fact the workers are illegals and corners are cut (not claiming those corners are cut by the workers!) if you the owner don’t pay attention. (Side note, this is NOT a political discuss, do not make it one!)

Luckily, the real money in the drone industry is usage by other businesses who don’t want to cut corners and understands the cheapest is normally reflective of its price.

I generally charge $150 for jobs lasting up to 2 hours. That includes basic editing. I charge an additional $25/hour for any additional editing and will add a mileage surcharge of $35 for any travel beyond 50 miles round trip.

Hope that helps!
I consider my pricing right about average, maybe even on the low side of average and you are WAY below me lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98