DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How often do you forget to remove the Gimbal Clamp?

I did twice in the beginning probably due to excitement. Then I just slow down and thought out procedures before flight. The clamp slows down deployment but is necessary in protecting the gimbal.

Hopefully a future model will address this.

Here is what I did.
199ea95e2ebd36479dc55122553585cc.jpg

5f59a9427ec58540794358956404f5ca.jpg

Just fold it over when putting the Mavic away, the day I attached this was the last day I forgot to remove my gimbal cover. BTW the gimbal cover used is the gimbal cover with built in gimbal clamp.

Reactions: hjmavic
I spent ZERO money on an 8" x 1" long piece of red gift wrapping ribbon and about 2" of Scotch tape and taped that to my camera dome as a reminder.
It has never failed to work
:)

Reactions: Dogmartin
Never - it's part of my pre-flight checklist - and you would immediately get an error on your screen saying gimbal motor overload or whatever, so not sure how anyone could forget this
I didn't immediately get an error when I left it on..

Is anyone having problems with the camera or gimbal mechanism caused by forgetting to remove the gimbal clamp frequently?

I'm embarrassed to say 50% of the time for me. Glad there's a warning. Lol.[/QUOTE

After a few close calls (normally not when flying but doing other stuff like firmware updates) I hot glued a 20cm orange ribbon to my clamp. It fits under the shield and hangs down as soon as I lift the Mavic up. . I've never forgotten to remove it. I got the idea from a UK chap on YouTube.

IMG_2682.JPG So glad someone brought up gimbal lock and cover removal. Even doing a preflight inspection I also have forgotten to remove lock.

I was a Navy Airman, worked on Navy aircraft. Everything that is to be removed from an aircraft before flight has a red flag attached.
I take a piece of thin leather, like a shoe string, and lay it under gamble. Looks like whiskers.

Reactions: kosoca
I got the issue solved as shown on the picture. It works well and it's not as hefty as the "remove before launch" tags, if you put the Mavic in a bag or fitting suitcase.

d81a4319a759fe5f2e308a43299c6be3.jpg
I like your idea better then my own idea.

Yesterday, posting gamble removal process, hard to believe today launched Mavic with gimbal lock on:(.

After removing gimbal cover and lock I noticed a small speck on lens. Replaced lock, cleaned lens and forgot to remove lock before launch.

I will follow GOTCHA's above example to better assure removal of both gimbal lock and cover.

Since some of you liked my solution, I took a closeup of the clamp. Here you can see where I drilled the hole for the marker thread.

639cdcff7be0f3d28b73147f772c9c78.jpg

The thread is from a windsurf shop.

Reactions: dekip
I came up with a simple solution to not forgetting to remove the gimbal clamp which I have done several times. I put a piece of tape on top of the mavic battery right above the power button and wrote CLAMP on it. this way I will look right at it before pressing the power button and wont forget the clamp. I haven't forgotten it since.

This is actually a very good product design that I firmly recommend. I designed a modified kludgey version of the same before this product came out. I just couldn’t see the time and hassle involved with a lock AND cover. This is the best alternative. I pack and unpack for travel with the Mavic several times a week so it has been tested and is reliable.

I never use the clamp. I simply use a small 4x4" crumpled up very soft eyeglasses cleaning cloth and place it inside the gimbal cover to gently hold the camera still. Even taking it out on my motorcycle has not been and issue in almost a full year's use. Furthermore, I can then use the cloth to gently wipe the camera lens before flying.
Total cost....Zero
:)

Always used this on my helis, and now here.
413601284.jpg

And, yes, I use a checklist also.

Jake

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54