DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How often do you forget to remove the Gimbal Clamp?

*looks up* hmm, why does my Mavic have a big red REMOVE BEFORE FLi........ oh ****.

I customized my cover to be a combined cover/lock.
7e193697095a9cf5a1b581a335a68e64.jpg
7bf86daaefe6815050a60370bb42aa9f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I bought one of the "Remove before flight" key chains and it cured my forgetfulness. I look at if from a very simple level: anytime an electric motor is trying to move, but it cannot; the motor is experiencing stress. In the long run stress is not good for such tiny little motors.
A $6 dollar key chain and a tiny bit of hassle to remove/replace the lock is a sound investment...

I'm embarrassed to say 50% of the time for me. Glad there's a warning. Lol.

DJI should make the clamp yellow or red and also reinforce that thin plastic piece that's been breaking off of the gimbal.

I forgot to remove mine, it did not warn me. Then I got gimble error. I tried removing it and restarting the Mavic and still got gimble overload and the camera would not stay straight. Some how some way I was able to repair it, and no gimble calibration did not fix it. I had to play with it for a hour or so. The camera would not stop hitting the top on start up, but I was able to fix it luckily.

I forgot to remove mine, it did not warn me. Then I got gimble error. I tried removing it and restarting the Mavic and still got gimble overload and the camera would not stay straight. Some how some way I was able to repair it, and no gimble calibration did not fix it. I had to play with it for a hour or so. The camera would not stop hitting the top on start up, but I was able to fix it luckily.

Hello, I am having the same issue, can you explain your method of fixing the gimbal. Thanks!

I've powered up my Mavic well over a hundred times and have forgotten to remove the clamp exactly once.

I bought the same thing and it's fantastic (it was more a case that my plastic cover broke!) I never fly with the protector so this has an integrated clamp and its so much easier to fit than standard clamp anyway... highly recommended

100% agree.
This in my opinion is a must have replacement gimbal clamp/cover.
Such a simple design that works extremely well.

I've never forgotten to take off the lock because I without exception use a checklist every single time I fly.
This is also an important part of CRM/Crew Resource Management (checklists and the reasons why some pilots don't use them) in the Part 107 regulations.

Last edited:
Reactions: mr_stunning
I just tell myself I have to remove three things each time I fly. Gimbal cover, gimbal lock and controller stick protectors.

Never on the Mavic. BUT I did that a few time in the beginning with my first DJI Drone, a Phantom 3...

I've solved this problem and a few others by creating a "checklist". Before I launch my Drone whether its my Spark, Mavic, P4, or FPV Drones, I have a checklist I go through to ensure I've not forgotten to do something.

Never - it's part of my pre-flight checklist - and you would immediately get an error on your screen saying gimbal motor overload or whatever, so not sure how anyone could forget this

Last edited:
I disagree Msinger take a look at my post regarding the gimbal.

I can get it to slip out of the shell by jiggling it around.

If properly inserted, this shouldn't be possible. There is a small plastic part that slips behind the camera and the gimbal arm I guess you would call it. That seats it locked in place and can't move without removing the clip, as far as I see.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11