DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to avoid common drone crashes

One additional pt. In the example of flying under trees, you are very likely to loose effective GPS signals, happened to me. Then the drone will drift & crash unless u are very alert on the controls.

I just killed my 6th drone last week, hence the tag “Crash Pro”. I do risky things almost every time I fly. Most of my filming is either low to the ground and fast, a few inches over water, or through tight spaces. This gives me some of the most spectacular footage to use in my videos.

I’m hoping that as I gain skill as a pilot, crashing a drone will become few and far between. However, I know myself well, and am pretty sure that I’ll continue to risk it all in order to “get the shot”.

That's often true. If you simply stick to 400 feet at all times (besides takeoff and landing) there isn't much to crash into. Unless you're flying in the mountains, and then you still have to pay attention, even at 400 feet.
Beginners also need to keep in mind that the higher you go, the more wind there usually is .

The number one thig is HEED THE WARNINGS!!! They come up for a reason. Check your props often, they can and do break.
Could not agree more. HOWEVER.... Because I am often watching the drone instead of the screen I will often look down just in time to see something disappear from the screen so that all I know was that it was trying to tell me something.... A little less helpful.

Does anyone know of a way to extend that display time?

Reactions: FlyingFilmmaker
I haven't had any crashes yet in nearly 2 years

but I'm a very cautious flyer who rarely flies near people and homes. I just got a refurbished Mavic 3 and I find when I get it up to the initial hover about a meter above ground my main thought is: "that's $2000 in a breakable position"

Nah, no welsh magic. I fly here in the US with my Mavic Air and now the M2Z for years and never had crash. Most of it is common sense.
Well, congrats! I think it also has a bit to do with the type of flying. I tend to be willing to put my drone at risk to get more creative shots, whereas some people prefer to fly in wide open spaces, etc, which is great as well, and leads to fewer crashes.

One additional pt. In the example of flying under trees, you are very likely to loose effective GPS signals, happened to me. Then the drone will drift & crash unless u are very alert on the controls.
Good point there! Definitely something to watch out for. I've heard of that happening but never had it happen to me. I think it may depend on the type of trees and how dense the canopy is.

I just killed my 6th drone last week, hence the tag “Crash Pro”. I do risky things almost every time I fly. Most of my filming is either low to the ground and fast, a few inches over water, or through tight spaces. This gives me some of the most spectacular footage to use in my videos.

I’m hoping that as I gain skill as a pilot, crashing a drone will become few and far between. However, I know myself well, and am pretty sure that I’ll continue to risk it all in order to “get the shot”.
Kindred spirits here, haha. I don't think I'm quite as much of a risk taker with the drones (only actually destroyed a couple), but I do like to do somewhat risky stuff with the drone on a regular basis to "get the shot".

I'm sure you'll improve over time, but I've got to say that doing risky shots makes some of the best drone footage, and I'm afraid crashes are unavoidable. 😅🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Crash Pro
I haven't had any crashes yet in nearly 2 years

but I'm a very cautious flyer who rarely flies near people and homes. I just got a refurbished Mavic 3 and I find when I get it up to the initial hover about a meter above ground my main thought is: "that's $2000 in a breakable position"
Yep, I totally get that! I think most of us feel that way when we first fly an expensive drone. 😅😅

The only drone I’ve crashed was my old Spark, but that was my fly training drone, used to do a lot of low level maneuvers, around trees etc, so it was expected, but the spark was a tough little nugget.

and at that height you risk putting your drone up into high wind, waste power in the climb and descent and probably can not legally fly over any ground that slopes down from the launch point, 🤔
Yes flying over ground sloping away from you or over a valley, or off an elevated position and using 400ft height to ensure you don't bump in to something nasty immediately puts you in contravention of the regs. The controller doesn't move from showing thre initial launch height of 400 ft even if the drone is now flying at 1000, ft. AGL. Only showing elevation from launch point is a big trap.

Great video!! I am in my first year of flying drones. I have only crashed my drone once so far out of 80 plus flights. That was one expensive lesson for me, and one I don't intend to do again. I decided to put the Phantom 4 Pro into sport mode and went high speed, well the obstacle avoidance of course is disabled. I wasn't able to slow it down fast enough before it flew into a tree. Luckily the only damage was a broken landing gear on it. I drove it to the repair shop in Madison a couple hours away and with everything including parts set me back a couple hundred dollars. So I have learned to be much more careful and respect sport mode. Normal mode is a great mode to keep the drone in. I do slip it into sport once in a while, only when there are no obstacles in sight. These drones are my babies and my heart just dropped that day this happened.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer