DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to avoid props in the shot?

lomposlapos

Reactions
In a number of youtube drone videos props are visible in the shot.
What is this and how to avoid?

In a number of youtube drone videos props are visible in the shot.
What is this and how to avoid?
It is due to the drone tilting forward, which brings the props into the camera view. This can happen when hovering while facing a relatively high wind or holding position in same. It also occurs with sudden forward midair acceleration.
By having your camera pointed somewhat downward you can avoid it

Reactions: ccoltmanm
Here are some things you can do to prevent the props from appearing in the camera view:
  • Tilt the camera down: Normally, the props only appear near the top corners of the camera frame. Tilting the camera down a bit will often keep them out of the camera frame.

• Fly slower: When flying fast, the aircraft will tilt forward at a steeper angle in the direction it’s traveling. Since the gimbal keeps the camera pointed straight ahead, the props will naturally get closer to the top of the camera frame the more the aircraft tilts forward. Slowing the aircraft down will allow it to level out – thus moving the props further away from the top of the frame.

• Fly backwards: If you must fly fast in order capture your shot, you can fly backwards and reverse the video later using a video editor. When flying backwards, the front of the aircraft will tilt upward – thus moving the props even further away from the top of the frame.

I often fly in the mountains or high walled canyons out west. In order to get the shot I want, the camera must be at least level or tilted up. I have had many videos ruined by props in the view. Prop shadows were especially annoying when flying towards the sun. Flying backwards and reversing the video made the rivers flow back upstream. Slowing the shutterspeed with ND filters helped sometimes.
I eventually bought a Parrot Anafi which completely eliminated this problem. The camera can look straight up without seeing the props.

You can crop the video slightly in post production to take them out of the shot. Normally the props will only just enter the very top of the field of view as long as you are not in full stick forward. You could try flying in tripod mode, that would eliminate the chance of them ever appearing.

Reactions: ccoltmanm
I have seen props in shots on some videos, however, my M2Z never seems to show them.
The M2 seems to take care of that, except ---- if I control the gimbal manually on the iPhone screen with a finger and angle it up. The finger on screen seems to give extra movement compared to the gimbal wheel on the RC..

Cinematic and Tripod modes are there for this reason. Not only will the drone fly more level keeping your prop's out of shot - but when you push forward and brake, the 'bucking' of the drone is reduced and again, no prop's in the shot.

Reactions: SmileyGC
DJI machines in default P mode take care of that for you by limiting tilt. If you switch to sport mode then it lets you go farther and the props may become visible.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Is it possible that those 3-bladed non-DJI props could be useful for something after all?

How much shorter are the blades than the regular props?

Another point: check to see which drones were used in those Youtube videos you watched.

Because the prop problem was much greater on my old Phantoms than it is with the Mavic 2. I hardly ever get props in the shot now. But the above tips are still good to follow.

Chris

Reactions: Mossiback
The M2 Pro, I have never had an issue with props showing even with the gimbal pointed up, (10 degree) max being 30 degrees. Not in Sport mode as then I believe they will show especially with braking.

The P4, Pro, IMO is **** near impossible to fly without props showing, even if you fly backwards, you will get them.
Dream camera, but if you get it going over 10mph, at least mine, odds are you will get props during flight and especially when you brake to slow down. Only way around is I know of is gimbal down 10% but even then props still show at times. If you attempt an in camera 9 shot pano, good luck again as props will ruin the top 3 frames everything (on the P4 Pro). Again the M2 Pro can do a 9 shot or 3 shot, even 360 without props in the shot.

Paul C

When I get props in the video I usually point the camera down a little. I'm told it's a reflection from the sun. Works for me anyway.

I'm told it's a reflection from the sun
That's what's known as prop shadows. It's a common problem when the sun is shining down through the props near the front of the aircraft.

Here are some other things commonly done to avoid prop shadows:
  • Fly when the sun is not high in the sky
  • Fly in a different direction (if possible)
  • Attach a lens hood (like this one) to block sunlight
  • Attach an ND filter (like one of these) to allow the shutter speed to be slowed down

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive