DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Cognitive theory of learning and flying drones -augmented reality.

I did a quick search on this and came up with some approximate sites but none dealing with the following. I am certain there are the exact and more detailed links out there.

This just a simple application of Cognitive theory of learning to flying drones. The same approach to any similar learning; walking, talking, learning to drive a car, an aeroplane or a space ship.

If you watch a baby starting to drink from a bottle for the first time you will notice a number of things. One there is great determination, it wants that food. Another aspect is how many times it misses, over and over again. Over the next few days it gets more and more accurate until there is no effort at all in getting the teat into the mouth first time.

Many call this muscle memory, it’s not, its brain memory. Muscles are dumb it’s the brain that controls. It’s the same as when you are first learn to walk or ride a bike. Learning to drive a car is in most of our memories.

You are asked by your driving instructor to do multiple new tasks. If you break it down its actually hundreds or even thousands of tasks and most of us have thought “I will never master this, it’s just too much.” Like a few months ago when I first started to fly a drone.

What is happening is a vast amount of brain processing power dedicated to a simple new task. It is quantifiable and it’s in the high 90% zone just to take off and move in a 3D world for the first few times.

But as the new task is repeated over and over again the dedicated processing power declines to almost nothing. This is normal and mostly good. There are drawbacks. When the task no longer requires processing power it is what we called automated. But you do have to switch it back on, frequently, such as the tasks of driving a car.

A baby drinking from a bottle or an astronaut flying a rocket have to go through thousands of skill levels, in education it’s called scaffolding.

It’s also why idiots can drive cars.

It’s the same with acquiring the skills to fly in an augmented reality. It takes time to repeat the tasks till more and more of them become automated so we can go on to learning the next complex task. We have it hard, in the not too distant future our children will grow up with these skills. They will become second nature.

Oh, it’s also called “stick time” :)

So, if you meet a newbie tell them “If you persist you will become and expert flyer”

The last key is, there has to be a reward, the baby wants food, you and I want the thrill of flying like a bird.

This is why I rarely use RTH. Actively piloting your drone all the way home and landing manually gives you more airtime, more experience, more brain/muscle memory; being an idle observer of RTH wastes this opportunity.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore