DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to calibrate compass?

S.N.U.F.F.

Reactions
My map points in a wrong direction in DJI Go 4 App when clicking compass icon to switch from North-Up to head tracking. I installed EpsonMoverioSensorCalibration but after 10 tries still unable to move it in "the figure 8 pattern" correctly. I did it outdoors with no metal around. Did anybody succeeded with this? The app says on boot my compass accuracy is Low.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-09-19-20-54-17.png
    Screenshot_2018-09-19-20-54-17.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_2018-09-19-20-55-49.png
    Screenshot_2018-09-19-20-55-49.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 64
Compass calibration can be touchy. I would go someplace else and try it again. There could be magnetic interference that you don't know about (-It happened to me).

Already tried on the top floor sundeck and in the backyard. Will try on the beach tomorrow. How fast should I move it? The bad thing is you can't see the screen while calibrating. I did 10 loops, 15 loops, 20 loops - the animation on the screen was continuing, not moving to 'Complete'. And because I paused to look, I was getting that error each time. Very strange app....

Reactions: H_copter
Already tried on the top floor sundeck and in the backyard. Will try on the beach tomorrow. How fast should I move it? The bad thing is you can't see the screen while calibrating. I did 10 loops, 15 loops, 20 loops - the animation on the screen was continuing, not moving to 'Complete'. And because I paused to look, I was getting that error each time. Very strange app....
I would not calibrate at beach-- You do not need to do that many spins- Rotate a few times and then set on ground and you should be fine--ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure your jet is pointing in the right direction before take off. If it is pointed in the right direction you are good to go.

I read here about 10 times: Sensor Control - Developer's Guide - BT-300 - Technical Information - MOVERIO - Epson

What is the 'jet pointing in the right direction'? In the lower left corner in Go 4 I see a round attitude indicator, but the red arrow rotates after Moverio/my head - not where the drone is pointing as per this video:

I don't have this indicator on my 6'' phone with the same screen resolution and the same version of DJI Go 4. Weird!

My Mavic takes off from the sundeck no problem - there should be no mag interference there.

I read here about 10 times: Sensor Control - Developer's Guide - BT-300 - Technical Information - MOVERIO - Epson

What is the 'jet pointing in the right direction'? In the lower left corner in Go 4 I see a round attitude indicator, but the red arrow rotates after Moverio/my head - not where the drone is pointing as per this video:

I don't have this indicator on my 6'' phone with the same screen resolution and the same version of DJI Go 4. Weird!

My Mavic takes off from the sundeck no problem - there should be no mag interference there.
When you take off that jets nose should be pointed in the direction that the mavics nose is facing. If not do not take off and calibrate.

ok, sure. only have seen this 'jet' today for the first time. what's also weird, StarMap's compass is off by maybe 20 degrees, while DJI Go is completely wrong - at least by 120! They should take the same sensor in the glasses, no? Same thing outdoors and indoors, no GPS. Don't see this discrepancy on my phone.

ok, sure. only have seen this 'jet' today for the first time. what's also weird, StarMap's compass is off by maybe 20 degrees, while DJI Go is completely wrong - at least by 120! They should take the same sensor in the glasses, no? Same thing outdoors and indoors, no GPS. Don't see this discrepancy on my phone.
Are you in the USA? Your DJI go is not off- You need to take the bird some where and calibrate it- Not on the beach! Once it is calibrated look at the jet figure in bottom left corner--If your mavic is facing away from you the jets nose should be pointed in the same direction as the mavics nose. If it is not turn off the mavic and controller reboot everything. Once that jets nose is pointed in the same direction as your mavics nose you are good to go. I would never take off with out that radar as I call it on the bottom left.

No, in Spain. I just want to calibrate Maverio against true north. I hate it when Sky Map and DJI map are wrong, but not by the same amount. The bird will be next step.

I had a problem with a compass calibration on a sun deck about a month ago. suspect the nails used in the construction caused the problem. I moved to the lawn area and everything calibrated properly.

Watch one of the YouTube videos on calibration. That'll give you an idea of how fast to turn.

I keep looking, but cannot find a single video on that. Do you happen to have a link? Thanks!

No luck with calibration after several more tries. I guess I have to try an OS update to R1.5. In the release notes they promise:
  • Improved the calibration function of the geomagnetic sensor.

Ok, I updated to R1.5, all apps stayed intact. The compass calibration is still failing, Whatever I do, I hear five angry buzzes in the end and the hardware buttons blink red. I also think there is a major bug in DJI Go for Moverio: the red arrow is always 90 degrees off counter-clockwise. I think the app is confusing portrait vs landscape mode or something.

DJI Go on my phone is showing the arrow 30 degrees off, but I can't calibrate the phone either. I do the loops in Google Map, the blue beam narrows but it is still bloody 30 degrees off from an actual compass. I calibrated the Mavic too, it worked, the error is very small, but the three devices just don't agree. Why can't we simply tell Android "hey, here is North, remember this!" These infinity loops are akin to witchcraft to me and they just don't work (((

PS. These hardware buttons drive me nuts when flying! They are too close to the touchpad and don't stick out, so I keep pressing them (((

Last edited:
Get a compass app to check your mobile compass calibration.

My Tab had some variations, Go seeming to be more off than Google Maps or a compass app. My hood has magnets in them which of course caused some error.
I found mobiles tend to be prone to compass drift. You would think GPS would compensate.

FYI, I finally calibrated the glasses! One just have to move the hand in figure 8 much faster than in the tutorial while keeping the wrist steady! Moverio buzzed 3 times and compass warning is gone.

Reactions: EpsonMoverio
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun