DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

(How To) Estimate Object Heights

Man, the way people jump to hyperbolic generalities and assume ill intent in every comment. I never said "avoid Google Earth." I said I don't trust it. I have also said in the past that I did the following:

* I planned a Litchi waypoint flight ahead of time using Google Earth as an estimate,

* I arrived on the site and took a dedicated flight just to scope out the actual altitudes with observational measures,

* I fine-tuned the waypoint flight using the Litchi app before I blindly executed the flight plan.

Seriously, take a step back and stop assuming that posts raising different methods are diametrically opposed to your own approach. It is not a contest. There is a wide world out there and different people have additional, complimentary, ancillary, augmented approaches that can work together.

I didn't know that I'm supposed to recall or research every post you made in the past before replying. Thanks, I'll do that in the future for sure.

What you propose is accurate. It's just not applicable to planning as the OP's suggestion is. That's all I pointed out. And please tell me what dictionary you use. Mine seems to be faulty wrt the definition of hyperbole.

I use all techniques and tools that I can, but also recognize the limitations of them as you seem to do above. Such as noting in reply to the OP that (unfortunately) the GE tool is coarse in accuracy and that the slider is twitchy. He hasn't blasted me over that.

Nice tip. Issues are that the slider is very twitchy and coarse, but still quite useful.

The slider is indeed jerky. I wish it were smooth but it's just another tool in the toolbox.

Here's an old trick that will tell you the height of anything. First, it's going to look a little odd if you're in a town or city but it's up to you. For me, I don't care who's watching. Look at it this way, how important is this measurement to you?

First, stand with your back against the item you want to measure. Start walking away from that object and when you get a few yards from it, bend over, look through your legs at crotch height and try to see the top of the object. If you can't see the top, then keep walking away from the object (tall tree or building) until you can see the top of it between your leg (at crotch height). Then, when you are able to see the top of the object through your legs (at crotch level), turn around and pace the distance back to the object and bingo, you have the height of the object, give or take a few feet, if you don't use a tape and are just pacing it off.

Don't laugh, this really does work. I've done it numerous times.

Bud

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
Here's an old trick that will tell you the height of anything. First, it's going to look a little odd if you're in a town or city but it's up to you. For me, I don't care who's watching. Look at it this way, how important is this measurement to you?

First, stand with your back against the item you want to measure. Start walking away from that object and when you get a few yards from it, bend over, look through your legs at crotch height and try to see the top of the object. If you can't see the top, then keep walking away from the object (tall tree or building) until you can see the top of it between your leg (at crotch height). Then, when you are able to see the top of the object through your legs (at crotch level), turn around and pace the distance back to the object and bingo, you have the height of the object, give or take a few feet, if you don't use a tape and are just pacing it off.

Don't laugh, this really does work. I've done it numerous times.

Bud

April 1 was yesterday dude!!

would your youtube video tutorial work for checking how high i need to fly to get all the focused building/shot in the frame?

would your youtube video tutorial work for checking how high i need to fly to get all the focused building/shot in the frame?

Not really. I don't know of any way to do that without some complicated math equation using height of the building and lens focal length and camera angle, etc...

Reactions: Mikewilltakeyouto

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom