DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to exceed the 500 m height (AGL) limit?

Not without hacking your firmware which I don't suggest .
JMO

Hi,
The drone software does not let me fly higher than 500m above my remote. Is it possible to exceed this limitation?

It's not height above the remote, it's 500m height above the take-off point. So you can take-off and then land someplace higher up and then take-off again to gain another 500m. Saw a video of a guy in Shanghai who took off and landed in the skyscraper with the trapazode hole at the top. He then took off again and climbed another 500m. The view was awesum. Then came the decent with virtually no battery left, but he made it.

Reactions: Emanáku
Thanks for the clarification, I meant “above TOP” as you stated :)

Yes, but in my case I don’t mean to stay more than legal amount of meters above ground, but I would like to be able to “climb” the sides of mountains eg 100m height till I reach the top. Some of those hills/mountains are a bit higher up (Above sea level where I stand) than 500m.

And I don’t like landing anywhere else than where I’m standing.. I don’t feel I have enough spatial awareness if I can’t see the drone..

If you want to fly up the side of a mountain and not go above the 400 feet above ground to stay legal , you will need to use modified software . Many mountain pilots do this mod and fly legal and safe

Reactions: hactick
Yes it sucks to live next to a mountain that's 700m tall and you can't get the to top without hiking several hundred meters up.

Reactions: Emanáku
It's not height above the remote, it's 500m height above the take-off point. So you can take-off and then land someplace higher up and then take-off again to gain another 500m. Saw a video of a guy in Shanghai who took off and landed in the skyscraper with the trapazode hole at the top. He then took off again and climbed another 500m. The view was awesum. Then came the decent with virtually no battery left, but he made it.

lol wow, if you land and take-off again even if you are far away it will register that as a home point and the altitude resets to 0?

What if you like drop a drone from a helicopter and start the motors. Does it register when the motors turn on as 0? This way you can have some super epic pano shots you cannot get if you started from the ground? People have deliberately turned off the motors mid-flight to test it's restarting performance and it worked.

• Wow
Reactions: DoomMeister
If you have a Mavic Air or higher, DJI can unlock your craft's altitude with a custom unlocking.
Your local air authority will have to get you a waiver for DJI to unlock but it can be done.
Case in point, the high school rocket program builds types that can reach Mach 1 and altitudes up to 10,000ft
I volunteered my services to video the launches but at those speeds even at 500m best I would get is 3 seconds.
So using the program's FAA waiver to launch, DJU unlocked me to 3000ft

That was brave, Its like the drone didnt want to take back off there for a minute. Is there a way to turn off that beeping when its in critically low battery alert mode? It looked like he recorded that with the screen record on his phone.

Is there a way to turn off that beeping when its in critically low battery alert mode? It looked like he recorded that with the screen record on his phone.
Yes! Drill a small hole in the exact right spot on the underside of the RC case, and insert a cutoff Q Tip to apply pressure to the speaker. Turns the heart attack beeping into the mew of a kitten.

Reactions: pinballwiz86
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock