DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to extend your range with Alientech

In general, we need more competition as that's what breeds innovation. But your entire comparison is completely incomparable. It's like lying for the sake of starting something that would have never started because there were no grounds to start it.

Reactions: nencmeister
Nope, You can buy the exact same antenna for DJI. Dont' be so **** fanboy. Just the 2 drones and setup I have. Has exactly nothing to do with drone but amplified vs. non amplified antenna. It's all crappy foreign companies that I'd rather buy American as soon as a good one shows up. Spent 20 years in the Army so Americans can work in America. Skydio is the one I want as soon as they have something that works for me. But that is my choice and I don't really care what your choice is as its yours. Freedom is about having a choice. Thus how I ended up with EVO II because it has interchangeable camera so my future upgrades are potentially just cameras. If DJI had it, I would have probably gone with that. I bet it shows up in their next drone. Imagine that, competition giving the consumer more options.

For the Drone community, we need more companies and more competition. The quality and features of these things will go up when that happens just like VCRs, TVs and every other consumer hardware ever. Stop worshipping companies, any company, becasue as soon as you do they stop listening to you as they own you already.
Not sure how you get fanboy out of my post. I didn't mention any company names. You're the only one dropping company names. I was just pointing out that your post seemed spammy to me and that your apples to oranges comparison is not valid and proves nothing.

I just watched a couple of the videos on the Skydio X2. That thing smokes DJI and Autel bad on technology. Skydio's AI is soooooooooo much better then anything by anybody else. On top of that, they have put an Nvidia processor in the drone. Do people even begin to understand how much AI/processing power that gives that drone? Microsoft, Google and Amazon are populating their datacenters with Nvidia GPUs for MORE AI processing in the cloud.

I'm not a fanboy of any of these drones. But, I am a fan of great technology. Skydio has leapfrogged DJI by a ton. They just need to iron out the new company things. The good news about that is, it will force DJI and Autel to improve their stuff. End result? The consumers win. We should be cheerleaders of the technology we want to see in the drones. We need to put the drone mfg's feet to the fire to get better products. Look at how many cameras phones have onboard now. Why do drones not have the same?

There is very little impressive hardware in these drones. IMU for direction? Everyone phone has one. Its off the shelf tech. GPS? Same deal , off the shelf tech. Camera? Off the shelf bought from the camera guys. Signal processors ? Same chips in every wifi router so again off the shelf part. Battery? They are just buying what's available. I can buy a 10,000mah battery for my phone so I don't know why its so small on a drone. The drone and the props are nothing but plastic. The obstacle sensors? Cars have had backup sensors for how long? The auto industry is pushing sensor tech way more then drone guys. Just like the Apple phone in the beginning, there was nothing technologically impressive about it. It was just a collection of existing hardware. Drones are sort of at the point at the moment. Skydio seems to be the only ones looking to push the technology. It makes sense they they came from Google and Silicon Valley. They are used to pushing the bleeding edge of technology.

Open your eyes, these drones SHOULD BE so much better than they are with the technology that exists. Dont' take offence to this post. Take it as a challenge to open your minds to the future technology that should be in these things. Right now, its mostly off the shelf stuff. What we have works and are fun to fly thus why we are all here. That is a good thing!! But it should be soooo much better. Nvidia processers in the drone is a good example of what we should be demanding. They do amazing things on our computers so imagine what they can do on our drones. If Samsung ever decided to jump into this market with all their Technology, the rest of these guys would be toast. They have the cameras and the processors and the software engineers. And thus the problem in drones at the moment. We don't really have a true technology company driving it. We have manufactures using mostly existing parts to build something they can sell. This is what makes Skydio interesting as they came from a technology company, Google. Will they succeed? Who knows. But they look much more interesting and much more likely to put leading edge tech into our drones.

Reactions: zeusfl
It’s a shame that a new forum member receives such approbation on their first post in which they so clearly advocate flying way BVLOS. This forum simply shouldn’t stand for anyone or anything promoting flight at “9000ft”.

Reactions: SXViper03
It’s a shame that a new forum member receives such approbation on their first post in which they so clearly advocate flying way BVLOS. This forum simply shouldn’t stand for anyone or anything promoting flight at “9000ft”.

You should report him to the FAA stat.

And this guy is a shill for Alientech (there are a couple other threads with the same kind of video and grammar) it's probably the same guy, no I won't buy your $350 amplifier, I'd buy it at $150 though. ROI is not there, Alientech is just being greedy. I got a no name antenna that gives me a few extra DB for $9

I believe your test is a little bit flawed
  • you used different drones , with different transmission systems
  • you flew them at different heights
  • you can't rely on the signal strength bar measurement as it might be different between manufacturers, even though it only had 2 bars the MA2 could have maintained that and flew further while the Autel could have had a sudden drop off. The drones need to be flown till they loose signal and RTH and the distance measured from the RTH point.
You need to use the alientech with the MA2 controller and compare it to the stock antennas to be totally objective in saying the Alientech is better
Agreee the flight tests need to have the same variables to be objective.

And this guy is a shill for Alientech (there are a couple other threads with the same kind of video and grammar) it's probably the same guy, no I won't buy your $350 amplifier, I'd buy it at $150 though. ROI is not there, Alientech is just being greedy. I got a no name antenna that gives me a few extra DB for $9

Too bad for you my neighbor, also retired military and cobra pilot, is also a police helicopter pilot who helps me out and keeps it legal =p.

As too which antenna you want to pay for, again that is your choice. I freely admitted its costly. I will still out range your $9 antenna. Just a matter of whether its worth it to you. These aren't about max range anyways. Its about signal strength such as when you dip down on the other side of a building doing inspections. Too assume that these are for only BVLOS is being short sighted.

I don't give a rat about Alientech. If it was another company producing the amplified antenna, I would pick the best option between the 2. I don't even care if they get any more sales. But for those that are interested, there is an option. I got mine and get to fly with a better connection. As I said before, spent 20 yrs in the Army so you'd be free to make your choice. Don't get grumpy because I exercised that same right that you so exercised in making your choice. There is no wrong answer on choosing another antenna. They all work better then stock. So pick your poison.

My post was to share my experience with enhancing my antenna.

Too bad for you my neighbor, also retired military and cobra pilot, is also a police helicopter pilot who helps me out and keeps it legal =p.

As too which antenna you want to pay for, again that is your choice. I freely admitted its costly. I will still out range your $9 antenna. Just a matter of whether its worth it to you. These aren't about max range anyways. Its about signal strength such as when you dip down on the other side of a building doing inspections. Too assume that these are for only BVLOS is being short sighted.

I don't give a rat about Alientech. If it was another company producing the amplified antenna, I would pick the best option between the 2. I don't even care if they get any more sales. But for those that are interested, there is an option. I got mine and get to fly with a better connection. As I said before, spent 20 yrs in the Army so you'd be free to make your choice. Don't get grumpy because I exercised that same right that you so exercised in making your choice. There is no wrong answer on choosing another antenna. They all work better then stock. So pick your poison.

My post was to share my experience with enhancing my antenna.

I don't think my sarcasm went through LOL. I reread it and it did sound kind of bland.

I hope you get sent behind bars buddy!

I believe your test is a little bit flawed
  • you used different drones , with different transmission systems
  • you flew them at different heights
  • you can't rely on the signal strength bar measurement as it might be different between manufacturers, even though it only had 2 bars the MA2 could have maintained that and flew further while the Autel could have had a sudden drop off. The drones need to be flown till they loose signal and RTH and the distance measured from the RTH point.
You need to use the alientech with the MA2 controller and compare it to the stock antennas to be totally objective in saying the Alientech is better

I was going to say that "bars" are subjective. You said it better...<;^)

D

What happens when you put 2 3000 lumen lights on your drone and can see them at 4 miles or 5 miles away during daylight? You know the orientation of the drone, you know it's airspace, you now it's altitude, you can see any manned aircraft approaching it. Is that considered BVLOS or is it VLOS if one can see, the light via their own eyes? Look for the daylight"star". It's the drone at 5000 ft. horizontal 200ft alt. The last pic is 2 of the lights attached. Total 6000 lumens. Goes way beyoung 5000 feet. Goes past battery life and or range of the drone at 6000 lumens.

Attachments

• 3000lm 3.jpg
    3000lm 3.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 3000lm 2.jpg
    3000lm 2.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 300lm 1.jpg
    300lm 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 6000 lumens 2 lights.jpg
    6000 lumens 2 lights.jpg
    998.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
In this video, I demonstrate how much better your signal is with Alientech vs. Occursync 2.0. The difference is pretty dramatic.

You can get the alientech at covertdrones.com. I had a great experience with him doing my installation for me. Keep in mind this is amplified not passive like 4hawks. He has them for all drones so not limited to Autel as shown in this video but can personally attest to how well it does work on the Evo II Pro 6k. This demonstrates why you might need one even at short ranges. In my case, the houses are all block wall with rebar for the hurricane standards here in FL thus tons of interference.

If you have the Smartcontroller, you can get it for that which is a great option so you have extended range for all your drones.
I have an active antenna Alientech booster for my evo2 and a passive Alientech booster for my mavic 2. I use 3000 to 6000 lumen lights to stay in VLOS at long range. The drone looks like a brilliant star during sunny days. The ligts are fairly light, but do use some battery power (due to their weight) when using both, to get 6000 lumens. Using just one only gives me a 5 minute flight loss. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 6000 lumens 2 lights.jpg
    6000 lumens 2 lights.jpg
    998.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 3000lm 3.jpg
    3000lm 3.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 3000lm 2.jpg
    3000lm 2.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 300lm 1.jpg
    300lm 1.jpg