DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to extend your range with Alientech

RetArmy

Reactions
In this video, I demonstrate how much better your signal is with Alientech vs. Occursync 2.0. The difference is pretty dramatic.

You can get the alientech at covertdrones.com. I had a great experience with him doing my installation for me. Keep in mind this is amplified not passive like 4hawks. He has them for all drones so not limited to Autel as shown in this video but can personally attest to how well it does work on the Evo II Pro 6k. This demonstrates why you might need one even at short ranges. In my case, the houses are all block wall with rebar for the hurricane standards here in FL thus tons of interference.

If you have the Smartcontroller, you can get it for that which is a great option so you have extended range for all your drones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: waltermitty
Welcome to the forum.
How bout a picture of your controller with the Alientech on it.

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.
Remember the much more directional nature of the Alientech.... makes controller orientation much more critical.

Remember the much more directional nature of the Alientech.... makes controller orientation much more critical.

I have less issues with my Alientech then I do my Air 2 controller in that department. The antenna is physically wider on Alienttech so the width of the signal is also wider. I spend less time adjusting it becasue of that and because of the stronger signal by at least 18db. They have a new duo for DJI that is reportedly giving 3x range where mine is 2-2.5x being only the 2.4 GHz band.

I have less issues with my Alientech then I do my Air 2 controller in that department. The antenna is physically wider on Alienttech so the width of the signal is also wider. I spend less time adjusting it becasue of that and because of the stronger signal by at least 18db. They have a new duo for DJI that is reportedly giving 3x range where mine is 2-2.5x being only the 2.4 GHz band.
First statement is not true per Alientech website... and I have owned 2 of the units. Regardless of antenna/transmitter case physical size it’’s just an antenna and the beam is narrower. Just be careful with aiming it in the direction of your drone.

Funny I have never had a problem with directional antennas and I have used many different ones over the last 6 years flying UAV's. Yes they will drop off if you turn around and grab your pop can that is facing south and your UAV is north but other then that they are very forgiving in my experience. The one thing they do not like is being to close to the RC.

Reactions: SXViper03
First statement is not true per Alientech website... and I have owned 2 of the units. Regardless of antenna/transmitter case physical size it’’s just an antenna and the beam is narrower. Just be careful with aiming it in the direction of your drone.

In a perfect line of site with no obstructions that may be true. In my case, there is block walls all over and trees all over. So with a stronger signal its more likely to bounce around like AM bounces off the atmosphere. Which is probably why I don't have any real directional differences since I get better signal bounce. So at least in my specific area, the air 2 is about as directional as the Alienttech.

My video is shot with probably 5+ block wall houses in LOS of the drones. The Air 2 is double the altitude, 140', of the Evo II with Alientech at 68'. The occusync Air 2 is at 2 bars and the Alientech is at 5 bars. In fact it had 5 bars the entire trip. If you watch the Air 2, it dropped then came up then dropped again.

Also, adding an amplified antenna isn't about getting more max range, you don't need it as you'll just be more likely to lose your drone at further ranges. Its about being able to fly around obstacles and not lose signal. If you do roof inspections as example that can be a real problem. The solution isn't cheap, about the cost of 2 batteries depending on the drone, but as the video shows it sure does work.

I believe your test is a little bit flawed
  • you used different drones , with different transmission systems
  • you flew them at different heights
  • you can't rely on the signal strength bar measurement as it might be different between manufacturers, even though it only had 2 bars the MA2 could have maintained that and flew further while the Autel could have had a sudden drop off. The drones need to be flown till they loose signal and RTH and the distance measured from the RTH point.
You need to use the alientech with the MA2 controller and compare it to the stock antennas to be totally objective in saying the Alientech is better

I believe your test is a little bit flawed
  • you used different drones , with different transmission systems
  • you flew them at different heights
  • you can't rely on the signal strength bar measurement as it might be different between manufacturers, even though it only had 2 bars the MA2 could have maintained that and flew further while the Autel could have had a sudden drop off. The drones need to be flown till they loose signal and RTH and the distance measured from the RTH point.
You need to use the alientech with the MA2 controller and compare it to the stock antennas to be totally objective in saying the Alientech is better

The drone that should have had the better signal had the higher altitude. Completely not a drone test. Just Occusync vs. Alientech.

You know what really stinks? If Alientech can boost the DB, why can't EITHER mfg boost the default DB from their controllers. Alientech having at least 18db more signal strength, wins hands down doesn't matter what drone. Ask the guys who have put it on DJI , they out range the default as well. Its pretty simple math was to why the Alientech works better. Your 50k watt radio might have great music, but that 75k watt is gonna out range you even with crappy music.

BTW, my Air 2 completely loses signal beyond that point. the interference in my area knocks Occusync for a loop. Does the same to the Evo II as well. Both drones are identical on range with base controllers in the direction that I can get out to range. They both drop at exactly 9000 feet, both. So for me, no diff on range Air 2 vs. Evo 2 in my best direction over the swamp.

Also, meant to say, there is no perfect test, ever. Technically could have been sun spots in between each flight. Was only 5 minutes apart but who knows. Weather always makes it an imperfect test.

Last edited:
Hi. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the camera on the Evo because the footage was definitely far from sharp, was it set to 4k or something else because if that was my mavic 2 pro I would be sending back, what is the other footage taken with the Evo like.
As for a for adding anything to add to the distance you are able to get, I say I'm happy with the 2 / 2 and a half miles I can get here in the UK.

In a perfect line of site with no obstructions that may be true. In my case, there is block walls all over and trees all over. So with a stronger signal its more likely to bounce around like AM bounces off the atmosphere. Which is probably why I don't have any real directional differences since I get better signal bounce. So at least in my specific area, the air 2 is about as directional as the Alienttech.

My video is shot with probably 5+ block wall houses in LOS of the drones. The Air 2 is double the altitude, 140', of the Evo II with Alientech at 68'. The occusync Air 2 is at 2 bars and the Alientech is at 5 bars. In fact it had 5 bars the entire trip. If you watch the Air 2, it dropped then came up then dropped again.

Also, adding an amplified antenna isn't about getting more max range, you don't need it as you'll just be more likely to lose your drone at further ranges. Its about being able to fly around obstacles and not lose signal. If you do roof inspections as example that can be a real problem. The solution isn't cheap, about the cost of 2 batteries depending on the drone, but as the video shows it sure does work.
First statement not true due the the laws of physics. A stronger signal does not in any way change the refraction of a signal. 2.4G and up don't bounce off the atmosphere to any significant degree.
ANd that's a good thing otherwise you would end up with multi-path interference problems.

Reactions: SXViper03
I've been using the Alientech 5.8ghz booster on my Air 2 for a couple of months, prior to that it with my mini. The performance on both was almost exactly what alien tech advertised at 2.5 times range.... Over the open ocean, I do get nearly 6k...

In this video, I demonstrate how much better your signal is with Alientech vs. Occursync 2.0. The difference is pretty dramatic.

You can get the alientech at covertdrones.com. I had a great experience with him doing my installation for me. Keep in mind this is amplified not passive like 4hawks. He has them for all drones so not limited to Autel as shown in this video but can personally attest to how well it does work on the Evo II Pro 6k. This demonstrates why you might need one even at short ranges. In my case, the houses are all block wall with rebar for the hurricane standards here in FL thus tons of interference.

If you have the Smartcontroller, you can get it for that which is a great option so you have extended range for all your drones.

Do they have it for the mavic air 2. ??

Do they have it for the mavic air 2. ??

They have it for all drones. If your DJI, I would suggest doing it to the Smart controller since you can fly all the drones with it. They even have it for Parrot, Skydio and others.

Bottom line, amplified antenna greater then any other tech on any controller for any drone. The issue is $$$. So, I would say its more limited to the prosumer drones but if you can afford it nothing wrong with putting it on any drone if you feel you need stronger signal becasue of interference.

You can research your drone here: ALIENTECH 2.4Ghz Antenna booster for DJI MAVIC PRO / PHANTOM ...

I purchased direct from Alientech and had covertdrone.com install it. But there is 0 price difference doing it that way. He charges the same prices as Alientech is charging for the item + shipping. So, I would say just purchase it from converdrones and save the wait on shipment from China. Aliientech is located in the same city as all the drone guys over there. They just launched a new product called duo for DJI that is claiming 3x range over Occusync 2.0. Not really hard to do. They just crank up the signal strength. No 2 ways about it, Occusync plays 2nd fiddle to Alientech in this instance. Their Duo does 2.4 and 5.8 both. Hard to beat 3x range.

I've been using the Alientech 5.8ghz booster on my Air 2 for a couple of months, prior to that it with my mini. The performance on both was almost exactly what alien tech advertised at 2.5 times range.... Over the open ocean, I do get nearly 6k...
So. you purchased the Alientech kit for the MA2 RC when it first came out.
Did you do the installation yourself ? If so, did you have any problems ? I've watched the vid and must admit it's a bit concerning..

I have a couple minis (CE and FCC) and I put the Alientech quick change adapters on them. I got adapters to RP-SMAs and use a 4Hawks extender. I have an MA2 also and am waiting for DJI to get the Smart controller firmware for that. If, and when that happens (time will tell) and it's good I'll get the Alientech DUO II and kits for the MA2 RC and SC.

Having said that, 4Hawks will have an extender for the MA2 coming out in a couple weeks. I'm pretty sure it's passive and not amplified like the Alientech. It will be interesting to see if one must open the RC case to install it or just the antenna case on the phone holder....

So. you purchased the Alientech kit for the MA2 RC when it first came out.
Did you do the installation yourself ? If so, did you have any problems ? I've watched the vid and must admit it's a bit concerning..

I have a couple minis (CE and FCC) and I put the Alientech quick change adapters on them. I got adapters to RP-SMAs and use a 4Hawks extender. I have an MA2 also and am waiting for DJI to get the Smart controller firmware for that. If, and when that happens (time will tell) and it's good I'll get the Alientech DUO II and kits for the MA2 RC and SC.

Having said that, 4Hawks will have an extender for the MA2 coming out in a couple weeks. I'm pretty sure it's passive and not amplified like the Alientech. It will be interesting to see if one must open the RC case to install it or just the antenna case on the phone holder....

I did nothing for my Air 2. The video was to demonstrate Occusync on Air 2 vs. an amplified antenna, which in my case is on my Evo II Pro. The entire point is to demonstrate the value of amplified. I would only suggest it on DJI if you have the smart controller so you get the benefit across multiple drones. And I would probably wait until we know if the Mavic 3 will work with the smart controller before I'd do that option. At least my Autel will soon be 100% American made. I really hope the Skydio X2 transfers into the Skydio 3 as that could end up being a really good American made drone for consumers. A carbon fiber almost indestructible drone is pretty enticing.

What's really sad is this. Why can't DJI and AUTEL just give us a better signal so we don't have to do all this crap to our RCs? It's probably less then the cost of one battery in materials to make it better. The real answer to that probably has to do with VLOS and soon Remote ID. Remote ID could end up like Red light cameras and they'll just send you the fine in the mail after looking at the data every day. If they really wanted better signal, they would sublicense from the cellular guys to get a lower frequency that has more range and less interference. None of the drone guys have enough money to buy the license which is in the BILLIONS of dollars to purchase that spectrum. So, they use the free public 2.4 and 5.8 which basically costs them nothing and gives us interference out the wahzoo. Your neighbor turning on their microwave could interfere with your drone signal. I.E. there are a lot of devices that put off noise in that frequency.

I did nothing for my Air 2. The video was to demonstrate Occusync on Air 2 vs. an amplified antenna, which in my case is on my Evo II Pro. The entire point is to demonstrate the value of amplified. I would only suggest it on DJI if you have the smart controller so you get the benefit across multiple drones. And I would probably wait until we know if the Mavic 3 will work with the smart controller before I'd do that option. At least my Autel will soon be 100% American made. I really hope the Skydio X2 transfers into the Skydio 3 as that could end up being a really good American made drone for consumers. A carbon fiber almost indestructible drone is pretty enticing.

What's really sad is this. Why can't DJI and AUTEL just give us a better signal so we don't have to do all this crap to our RCs? It's probably less then the cost of one battery in materials to make it better. The real answer to that probably has to do with VLOS and soon Remote ID. Remote ID could end up like Red light cameras and they'll just send you the fine in the mail after looking at the data every day. If they really wanted better signal, they would sublicense from the cellular guys to get a lower frequency that has more range and less interference. None of the drone guys have enough money to buy the license which is in the BILLIONS of dollars to purchase that spectrum. So, they use the free public 2.4 and 5.8 which basically costs them nothing and gives us interference out the wahzoo. Your neighbor turning on their microwave could interfere with your drone signal. I.E. there are a lot of devices that put off noise in that frequency.
I can easily get 5km with my air 2, are you trying to fly it overseas.

• Haha
Reactions: bzmot and SXViper03
I can easily get 5km with my air 2, are you trying to fly it overseas.
I remember a time when flying to the other side of the yard was an achievement.

You shouldn't be flying miles out anywhere that the signal would be compromised, such as any and every urban environment. If you are out in the open, then you won't have signal clarity issues. If you are looking to go further, you don't have the battery capacity to go further. So what's the goal here?

The OP seems like thinly veiled spam to me. Brand new poster telling us how great a product is by comparing two completely different drones. Then making sure to let us know where to buy one. Hmmm.

The OP seems like thinly veiled spam to me. Brand new poster telling us how great a product is by comparing two completely different drones. Then making sure to let us know where to buy one. Hmmm.

Nope, You can buy the exact same antenna for DJI. Dont' be so **** fanboy. Just the 2 drones and setup I have. Has exactly nothing to do with drone but amplified vs. non amplified antenna. It's all crappy foreign companies that I'd rather buy American as soon as a good one shows up. Spent 20 years in the Army so Americans can work in America. Skydio is the one I want as soon as they have something that works for me. But that is my choice and I don't really care what your choice is as its yours. Freedom is about having a choice. Thus how I ended up with EVO II because it has interchangeable camera so my future upgrades are potentially just cameras. If DJI had it, I would have probably gone with that. I bet it shows up in their next drone. Imagine that, competition giving the consumer more options.

For the Drone community, we need more companies and more competition. The quality and features of these things will go up when that happens just like VCRs, TVs and every other consumer hardware ever. Stop worshipping companies, any company, becasue as soon as you do they stop listening to you as they own you already.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones