DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Fix Drone Anxiety? This was dead on.

Thanks for sharing

Reactions: Droniac and Ronson
For new drone pilots, this helps me a lot, almost like he read my mind. Plus, I like his snarky sense of humor.

This was GREAT!

Don't be a ****! That solves a lot of problems not just with droning, but in life.

Thx!

Launching from public roads really is the key. I always wear my dayglo dork vest and launch from a public road. If people ask what I'm doing, I say something official like "Traffic Analysis" (which is usually what I'm actually doing). Follow up comments are something like, "Are you going to do something about this traffic??" to which I always answer, "Yes." Now I'm a hero. I honestly haven't had to tell that story as a lie yet (because that's usually what I'm doing when people bug me), but I have it in my quiver.

I also do a lot of aerial mapping. Some situations dictate that I'm flying over a bevy of houses. Of the dozens of jobs I've done, I've had one complaint, which was quickly quelled with a little transparency. Speaking of which...

Full transparency...

If someone wants to SEE what I'm doing, I'm always happy to show them. Honestly, traffic analysis is pretty freakin' boring, so I'll say something like, "Pretty exciting, eh??" One time I was shooting real estate with my Mavic Pro. Some guy was concerned because his kids were playing in his back yard. So I was open and warm. I invited him over, showed him what I was doing. Showed him the "For Sale" sign in the front yard of the house I was shooting, etc. By the time we were done, I think he wanted to buy me a beer. He thought it was all "very cool."

The other thing I try to do (for traffic analysis) is hover my drone over open fields. Out here in the SW we have plenty of those. I know you can't always do that, but as the OP eluded to, open water is essentially the same thing (we don't much of that in the high desert).

But here's the thing...the thing is....

I'm a people person. So I honestly don't mind talking to people. I don't mind inviting them over to see what I'm doing. ONE TIME I had the police called on me. It was an older couple who were convinced I was up to no good. So when the cops showed up I showed THEM what I was doing. They then relayed to said old couple that I wasn't doing anything illegal. THEIR neighbor felt so bad that he brought out a glass with ice and a soda! How nice was that?!?!

Feeling more at ease...

Remember the 6 P's: Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance."

Have your ducks in a row. Understand your drone and your software. The drone doesn't have to be aloft or even be on to go through your software. Remove the props, set the drone on the kitchen table and go to town. Press buttons, pull lever, hit the RTH button....have a blast. There's no better way of learning your software than in the comfort of your own home. Once that's done, practice, practice, practice flying. A good exercise is to fly the drone home with the camera facing you. This forces all the controls to be backwards. Do it in ATTI mode.

ATTI mode Ninja warrior...

D

Reactions: basyok
I dont think a lot of newer drones let you fly in Atti mode without hacking them or some kind of tin foil trick. I think DJI does not want you to do this anymore. I think the Mini 3 and Air 2S for example will not let you do it.

I agree its probably a good skill to learn but looks like DJI is frowning upon it. How often do they actually go into Atti mode these days? Sounds like it's quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Good advice, except taking off from the roof of your car. That can screw with your IMU and GPS calibrations.
I think that guy has an Inspire, which has big legs. Or possably a sun roof. Seen a lot of people on YouTube launch from the roof of their car becuase they have a glass sunroof, no metal or they just hand launch through there.

I think that guy has an Inspire, which has big legs. Or possably a sun roof. Seen a lot of people on YouTube launch from the roof of their car becuase they have a glass sunroof, no metal or they just hand launch through there. Or I suppose if you have a hard case, put that on the roof and use it as a launching pad.

I dont think a lot of newer drones let you fly in Atti mode without hacking them or some kind of tin foil trick. I think DJI does not want you to do this anymore. I think the Mini 3 and Air 2S for example will not let you do it.

I agree its probably a good skill to learn but looks like DJI is frowning upon it. How often do they actually go into Atti mode these days? Sounds like it's quickly becoming a thing of the past.
Actually, you are correct. As an avid user of ATTI mode for not only training purposes, but for real-time wind reports, I had to hack my Mavic Pro. As you eluded to, the Mavic Pro doesn't have an "ATTI" button or mode. It has "Sport Mode," which still has GPS lock.

1653839741695.jpeg

It's been years since I did the hack so I sometimes forget that it's a hack. But sure 'nuff, my Mavic Pro has 2 modes; GPS and ATTI.

1653839825343.jpeg

1653839844641.jpeg

It's funny how everything these days is focusing on taking control away from the end user. Apple has been torpedoing toward that direction for years. iTunes, which used to be a great tool for modifying your iPad, has now become a useless gelding with < half the function it used to have. Microsoft, with their new OS Windows 11, is doing the same thing. Companies like Adobe with their rentware (term I invented - yer welcome) have completely stripped control from the end user. Hell...I even had to hack my Mini Cooper to gain function that was stripped by the DOT and EPA.

I fight all of this corporate control tooth and nail. So far I have a respectable degree of "winning." As of this writing, I can fly my drones when and where and how I want. But it's getting tougher and tougher to be in charge of - and ultimately OWN - my own stuff.

D

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman