DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Fly a Drone for Dummies.

Oh..... Joy Sticks??? I assumed there would be something like a throttle pedal, a brake pedal and for the rest the aeroplane just follows how I hold the controller in my hands. Is it really that complicated?
Yes, but have you tried them? Joy!! Pure ecstasy 🕺💃🕺💃🕺💃

Reactions: Marinomons
Edit: I clicked on your link below and see that the references you use in the above illustration come from the FPV world. And while everything you note for FPV's is 100% accurate. However, as a DJI camera drone pilot I see things (terms) differently and thought I might provide my perspective on the terminology.

While you think of the left stick forward as "throttle" and with FPV drones that's absolutely how you will think of the left stick. But with DJI camera drones, while the left stick does provide a throttle action as in straight up, the right stick forward or backwards also acts as a throttle, propelling the drone fwd/bkwd at varying speeds. Same thing with the right stick should you push it right and left, but the reaction may or may not have the same intensity as fwd/bkwd. When using the term"roll" left and right, the roll on a DJI drone is incidental as is pitch for fwd/bkwd. Do we really care how much pitch and roll the drone exhibits? Unlike FPV drones we can't do barrel rolls or loops. If using the "follow mode" we will not be aware of the pitch and roll of the drone as the gimbal will compensate for it in the viewfinder. If we use the FPV mode then perhaps we'll get a glimpse of roll and pitch. When I push the right stick left or right I know it will "slide" left or right (or whatever you want to call that action). In fact you could use your drone in place of a mechanical slide. I know that when I push the right stick forward it's going to go forward and the amount of "pitch" is controlled automatically by what the drone needs to do to go fwd or bkwd. When I think of pitch I think of gimbal action and pitch is addressed in gimbal settings in the DJI software.

Just throwing out how *I* think of the stick actions. I'm sure that one day when I venture into my first FPV drone I'm going to have to think of the stick actions differently.

View attachment 153291
They are still accurate for any DJI drone.
In fact, if you do an exam, this is what you will learn in the course:)
The fact that average DJI user doesn't understand how all this works is something else :cool:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cht6688