DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to get a georeferenced PDF to be displayed on the map

TomHuitema

Reactions
The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources has maps that they release in the form of a PDF. They are georeferenced (I can use them in Avenza Maps). I have attached an example to this thread. Since the lines on the maps are somewhat arbitrary, when I scout blocks of timber with my drone, I don't know when I've flown over the boundary, and am looking at unavailable timber. I would like to insert the georeferenced PDF map into the map in the corner, so I know where to fly.
This seems like something that would be easy, but I'm not that good with this kind of thing, and haven't found information elsewhere.

Attachments

• MU210_2020_FMP_MAP_Ops74217_00(1).PDF
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
I would like to insert the georeferenced PDF map into the map in the corner, so I know where to fly.
This seems like something that would be easy ...
DJI don't make any provision for using custom maps

Reactions: Thomas B
Have you tried converting it to an image file and bringing it into Google Earth as an overlay? That said, I am curious about georef'd PDFs... never saw that before. Thanks!

Reactions: 611WM
The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources has maps that they release in the form of a PDF. They are georeferenced (I can use them in Avenza Maps). I have attached an example to this thread. Since the lines on the maps are somewhat arbitrary, when I scout blocks of timber with my drone, I don't know when I've flown over the boundary, and am looking at unavailable timber. I would like to insert the georeferenced PDF map into the map in the corner, so I know where to fly.
This seems like something that would be easy, but I'm not that good with this kind of thing, and haven't found information elsewhere.
As @Meta4 mentioned, DJI does not let you set the actual map settings. While it's not terribly difficult to add an overlay to a map, the map provider needs to access the user context and then know what map layers to overlay.

As @Meta4 mentioned, DJI does not let you set the actual map settings. While it's not terribly difficult to add an overlay to a map, the map provider needs to access the user context and then know what map layers to overlay.
Okay, thanks for the advice. Could you direct me to a thread or resource which discusses this?

Okay, thanks for the advice. Could you direct me to a thread or resource which discusses this?
For end-users, there is stuff like Use map layers - Computer - My Maps Help

For developers, it depends on the platform and development tools used.

In any case, it won't help you with the DJI apps. They are calling a map control (OS specific) and controlling how t's visualized. There's no way in for the user to customize the map with custom layers.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark