DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to hand catch your Mavic 2 Pro

Ian in London

Reactions
.. and why ...
Some people swear by it and others think it's suicidal lunacy, but if you need to avoid landing on the ground, then it helps if you know how to hand-catch, and it's a lot easier than people think.
Dogs, kids, bad terrain or wet or dusty conditions can all mess things up, so for those that can't, here's how...

Cheers
Ian

I prefer this method. I feel that I have more control over the process when I reach out and grasp my MP than have it land on my hand.

I prefer this method. I feel that I have more control over the process when I reach out and grasp my MP than have it land on my hand.

Yep, the Pro is not as good as the 2 Pro for hand catching; TBH I prefer to grab the Pro than let land too, but you often get some prop rev and it tries to take off again, fine if you're used to it.... So I figured it was a bit safer to let it land flat... But the 2 Pro is easy to grab and works every time for me.
Cheers
Ian

I used to have aftermarket landing gear and I got rid of it the instant I learned how much easier/better it is to just catch the drone in all scenarios - keeps it a lot cleaner too.

Reactions: Ian in London
... I prefer to grab the Pro than let land too, but you often get some prop rev and it tries to take off again...
If you grasp it forward of the downward sensors like shown in the video I posted, the props do not rev up because it does not detect your hand. Just be sure not to lower your hand before the props stop or it will detect that as a drop in height and rev up to compensate.

If you grasp it forward of the downward sensors like shown in the video I posted, the props do not rev up because it does not detect your hand. Just be sure not to lower your hand before the props stop or it will detect that as a drop in height and rev up to compensate.

Holding the left stick down for 3 seconds disables any downward sensor activity unless the M2P is different from other DJI drones in that regard. It'll just slowly drop right into your hand.

I (when ready to descend after a low hover) hold the back of my hand out, then when it rises up - flip my hand over to grab/grasp it (MP) on the way down
This guy influenced me to do it who uses his fist instead of the back of the hand but found no need to be aggressive

I (when ready to descend after a low hover) hold the back of my hand out, then when it rises up - flip my hand over to grab/grasp it (MP) on the way down
This guy influenced me to do it who uses his fist instead of the back of the hand but found no need to be aggressive
Not sure why you'd need to flip your hand over; if you're going to grab it, you can just grab it from an open palm. But the motors will sometimes rev up again for a second before it shuts down....
Ian

I had to hand launch and hand catch today due to muddy ground in the area where I was filming, but it was as uneventful as ever for me. It's just not an issue to me... I don't do it all of the time though. If I have my pad with me, then I just prefer to land on it if I can. When I do hand catch, I just hold my hand up under the drone for a bit until it stops rising and then just fully throttle down and it always lands nice and gentle in my palm.

You could even just put your hand sideways like a falconer catches a bird then turn it to grab on the 2nd way back down from the sensor lift

Wait...great idea!:cool:

Last edited:
I just disable landing protection and hand catch it with every time without any problem. I'm sure downward sensor is not working when I disable that feature, so I tend to be more careful when I'm flying down. I usually fly in open spaces so no issue for me. OR, you can just use C1 or C2 to enable/disable obstacle avoidance sensor before hand-catching. Turn on while in the air and turn off when landing... I just prefer to turn off landing protection for my own personal convenience sake.

I just disable landing protection and hand catch it with every time without any problem. I'm sure downward sensor is not working when I disable that feature, so I tend to be more careful when I'm flying down. I usually fly in open spaces so no issue for me. OR, you can just use C1 or C2 to enable/disable obstacle avoidance sensor before hand-catching. Turn on while in the air and turn off when landing... I just prefer to turn off landing protection for my own personal convenience sake.

So how do you stop the motors with one hand?

Exactly. I hold the remote in my left hand with thumb holding down the left stick, while my right hand is already holding onto the landing Mavic.

Be good if you could assign C1 or C2 to temporarily disable landing protection.....
Ian

Reactions: JAW and joonrhee
Be good if you could assign C1 or C2 to temporarily disable landing protection.....
Ian

I have yet to find a reason to turn off the sensors or landing protection. I rises slightly as it first detects my hand under it and then settles gently down into my hand. What problem is turning off sensor supposed to fix?

Reactions: Andrija 87
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King