DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to hand catch

I’ve posted this pic a few times on hand catch threads, but it serves as a warning to get it right the first time. I got it wrong on my second flight with my MA2 trying to hover it low, & grab it from above. My finger eventually healed, but damaged the nerve endings which is now always tender to touch. I still happily hand catch & launch now when the terrain is not suitable, or sometimes just for the fun of it! I use both the flat palm method or grasp from below as detailed here by others.
E50268D6-A17B-4D82-A6D6-A5ED22681635.jpeg

So, this Autistic guy isn't following. How do you pull both sticks in and down while you holding the aircraft in one hand?
Hanging the controller from a lanyard around your neck makes it quite easy. If I don't have a lanyard with me I rest the controller on something, often the catching forearm (I think) or my knee if I am sitting down and yes the control can be accurate enough to hand catch sitting down

My 2 Cents.
I do it all the time. Once you get the hang of it it's really quite easy but be SURE to land with your hand raised up high (at least shoulder height) as that naturally keeps your forearm clear of the props.
I have read many storys of debris finding it's way into the motors, causing nothing but trouble. Hand launch and landings eliminate that risk. I do have a landing pad and will sometimes use that if I need to be out of the shot for some reason but even with the landing pad I sometimes see debris flying around during take off.

Hello everyone I'm wondering what is the easiest way to hand catch my ma2 I've tried a couple of times but it raises up because of the sensor should i be in sport mode let me know thanks
I suggest you check out these videos on You Tube- just go to You Tube and search for How to hand catch Mavic Air 2
Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 7.57.22 AM.png

Reactions: Steel63
Hello everyone I'm wondering what is the easiest way to hand catch my ma2 I've tried a couple of times but it raises up because of the sensor should i be in sport mode let me know thanks
I've done it a couple of times but I rather land on the landing pad that my son gave me. I also hand of quite a few people getting cut by the props and one guy even dropped his MA2 and broke it.

Yas I've seen video of people getting cut from the props that's not good I'm staying with the landing pad my self

Yas I've seen video of people getting cut from the props that's not good I'm staying with the landing pad my self

You DEFINITELY want to avoid THAT.

Use S mode. No problem no obstacle avoidance .
That is all... Carry on...

S-Mode (Sport) – In Sport mode, the Mavic Air 2 uses GPS for positioning and the quadcopter can fly at it’s maximum speed. Also, in S-mode, the Mavic Air 2 drone and remote controller are optimized for agility and speed. The stick movements on the Mavic Air 2 RC will be far more responsive than in N-mode.

In Sports mode the Vision System is turned off so it can’t avoid obstacles automatically.
That is all... Carry on.

• Love
Reactions: Flytelandon
Been trying out hand launch and land with MA2, do this regular with the MP with its bottom sensors turned off. Was interested to practice with the Air. Was a very windy day on the rocks just off the sea with strong gusts coming in.
IMG_7256.MOV
To launch I kneel to stabilise controller and use the auto launch function, landing is just a question of slowly positioning drone and holding body clear of props. Never had any problems with MP. The MA2 is lighter so watch out for the wind movement.
Also I suffer from mild MS so have to watch out with my coordination.

Last edited:
I've always hand landed. I just let it hover close to me, take hold of the front and hold the stick down to stop the motors. Doing this, it fights less than my spark does.

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
I always hand land too with my Mavic 2 Pro. I just bring it in to about shoulder height then put my hand underneath, it rises up about about 2ft due to the sensors but by holding the left stick back for a couple of seconds it comes back down in to my hand and the motors turn off. I actually find this quicker (and easier) than landing on my take-off mat.

i use normal mode. hand launch with auto take off. when landing i let it hover , stick my hand out, drone rises a bit, hold left stick down and drone goes into auto landing into my hand. just be aware that once it says "landing" the drone comes down fast.

Also avoid doing in in windy weather as a gust may move the drone around

Here is the Truth < hand catching is very easy and the more you do it the easier gets. When it get to easy and you relax is the moment you get your potatoes chopped off.

In a perfect world you gather the family, you make the best of it with a run to the Hospital and focus on taking everyone to dinner after a few dozen stitches....

But today : You dont take the family , you dont put them in harms way. You drive your dumb self to the Emergency Room ,wrapped in some zombie bandage you made up. You will be around people contaminated in more ways the one and maybe wait hours in the ER .

If you fly enough its just a matter of time before some unexpected dog runs between your legs and your Chop Suey.

When you watch the hand catching videos , instead of watching the catch , watch how many close calls .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic in the Rain

Here is the Truth < hand catching is very easy and the more you do it the easier gets. When it get to easy and you relax is the moment you get your potatoes chopped off.

In a perfect world you gather the family, you make the best of it with a run to the Hospital and focus on taking everyone to dinner after a few dozen stitches....

But today : You dont take the family , you dont put them in harms way. You drive your dumb self to the Emergency Room ,wrapped in some zombie bandage you made up. You will be around people contaminated in more ways the one and maybe wait hours in the ER .

If you fly enough its just a matter of time before some unexpected dog runs between your legs and your Chop Suey.

When you watch the hand catching videos , instead of watching the catch , watch how many close calls .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic in the Rain
Cant agree fully with that. BTW did you watch my hand catch and launch. IMG_7256.MOV Not done in a controlled area for youtubers but in the real world on the rocks by the sea with a fairly gusty wind.
Yes accidents happen, and when they do can be quite serious. I can show you pictures of motorbike accidents with people not wearing the full gear with skin and muscle torn off after sliding down the road. Am retired nurse 40+yrs experience. I used to ride Motorbikes 24 hr Long Distance i.e 24 hrs 1600ks plus, and a member of Iron Butt Association completing thousands of Ks with not one accident.
I think the moral of all this is that there is an element of risk, but if you are sensible, serious and vigilant and aware of the consequences then accidents are not likely.
A number of drone fliers treat the hobby lightly, not checking the drone, home point, area, how to fly when losing sats or the app crashes etc. I wont hand catch if I dont feel conditions are right or I am not feeling in control. I mentioned before about my Multiple Sclerosis, its mild, but this still affects my coordination so if not right on the day will not even to attempt to catch and launch.
Am aware of risks and consequences.
This is just my view so not wanting to get into any arguments will hand catch/launch and also take off and land from ground as conditions apply.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S