DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to hand catch

Steel63

Reactions
Hello everyone I'm wondering what is the easiest way to hand catch my ma2 I've tried a couple of times but it raises up because of the sensor should i be in sport mode let me know thanks

Reactions: RayKelly
it will rise as it senses your hand underneath ,the trick is to let it do its rise up first, let it hover ,and then hold down the left stick if you are in mode 2 and it will come down onto your hand, keep the stick held down till the motors stop its not something that i do myself due to the anticoagulant meds i take ,which means i cannot take a chance of getting cut by the blades if it went wrong ,but it just takes bit of practice to master ,there are many good videos on the web showing you how to do it good luck

it will rise as it senses your hand underneath ,the trick is to let it do its rise up first, let it hover ,and then hold down the left stick if you are in mode 2 and it will come down onto your hand, keep the stick held down till the motors stop its not something that i do myself due to the anticoagulant meds i take ,which means i cannot take a chance of getting cut by the blades if it went wrong ,but it just takes bit of practice to master ,there are many good videos on the web showing you how to do it good luck
Ok thanks I'll check them out stay safe .happy flying

What I do is turn Obstacle Avoidance off which is easy and quick, and then let it hover just above head height. Then I reach up beneath the copter as far forward as possible - just below the front arms - and take gentle hold of it while at the same time pushing downward on the left stick for several seconds. This will stop the motors, and that’s it. I don’t like attempting to catch or take hold of the copter as it’s descending because too many variables and too much risk of a blade hitting a finger. Also, the reason I grab it forward of center is that even with OA off, the Infrared Sensors seem to cause it to react to my hand approaching from underneath, but they don’t see it when moved forward.

I don't do it because it terrifies me ?
My boy got a little close to his, I wouldn't want that in my face.

Same here when it raises up i quit little scary but I'm going to try again i got some good tips on here as allways thanks again and stay safe

Reactions: THE CYBORG
I hover it within reach then just take hold of it with my right hand and shove the stick down with my left.

There is an old saying - smooth is fast. I want control of the aircraft. I hover it, position my hand slightly below and off center and make a smooth firm grab- wrist/forearm straight below ac - and lightly pull down. It attempts to pull up as I shut it off. Some guys land their's on their open hand. I think that's nuts - minimal control accident waiting to happen. if you're worried, wear safety gear until you feel you've mastered whatever technique you try. Also, power off, just hold the ac as you plan to grab it - your hand/arm/face should be reassured it can be done with little risk. I often launch from rough ground and quickly learned I prefer hand launching/catching over trying to setup and use my landing pad.

There is an old saying - smooth is fast. I want control of the aircraft. I hover it, position my hand slightly below and off center and make a smooth firm grab- wrist/forearm straight below ac - and lightly pull down. It attempts to pull up as I shut it off. Some guys land their's on their open hand. I think that's nuts - minimal control accident waiting to happen. if you're worried, wear safety gear until you feel you've mastered whatever technique you try. Also, power off, just hold the ac as you plan to grab it - your hand/arm/face should be reassured it can be done with little risk. I often launch from rough ground and quickly learned I prefer hand launching/catching over trying to setup and use my landing pad.

I've never learned how to hand launch. The drone taking off in front of me has become something of a trademark.

I'm an uncivilized kinda guy and fly in uncivilized places. Started off on a nice pad, but still the debris blew around and it was often hard to find a place to sit a pad.

Hand launching was extremely easy - hold the ac out - increase throttle and just let go when it wants to rise. After that hand catching was necessary- and simple to do - easy to do with the ac hovering and me moving into an ideal position to get hold of it - perhaps that's the key idea - dont catch it, just take hold of it.

Reactions: Steel63
I'm an uncivilized kinda guy and fly in uncivilized places. Started off on a nice pad, but still the debris blew around and it was often hard to find a place to sit a pad.

Hand launching was extremely easy - hold the ac out - increase throttle and just let go when it wants to rise. After that hand catching was necessary- and simple to do - easy to do with the ac hovering and me moving into an ideal position to get hold of it - perhaps that's the key idea - dont catch it, just take hold of it.

So, this Autistic guy isn't following. How do you pull both sticks in and down while you holding the aircraft in one hand?

So, this Autistic guy isn't following. How do you pull both sticks in and down while you holding the aircraft in one hand?

I don't know how he's doing it but after you have it in hand tilt it 90 degrees and the motors will shut off. It will show an IMU error afterwards.

I hand catch both a Mavic Mini and a Mavic 2 Pro.
The procedure I use is the same for both but the Pro DEMANDS much more care.
From behind I either bring my hand up underneath the drone or make it descend towards my hand until, either way, I see the rise/hesitation as the drone 'sees' my hand. Then it's throttle closed until it settles into my cupped fingers. I have at least one finger up each side of the drone so that the option to grip it is there as soon as it is within the cup. The throttle is held closed until the motors stop.
The forearm and hand need to be in a roughly straight, horizontal line otherwise the props can clip either the inside of the wrist or in the case of the M2P the inside of the forearm.
Keep the hand still until the motors stop otherwise the drone is likely to think it is still in flight and respond by powering the appropriate motors to try and stabilise the sensed movement. The cupping of fingers up the sides of the drone allows me to prevent it 'slipping off' my hand which is something I feared with the flat hand approach.
To be honest, with the mini it's now a reflex action with little 'thought' behind it. With the M2P I do pay careful attention to the depth of the "cup" etc.
To hand launch I always "cup" the drone and then start the motors with the CSC maneuver. Once the motors are idling I will either slowly throttle up, in which case I can get a very slight rise into a hover or I move my hand up and down slightly to trigger a response from the motors, once they are going fast enough to take the drone's weight off my hand I can lower my hand.
I have noticed that the latter tends to produce an intitial forward and sometimes partially sideways drift of up to around 1m but the drone then tends to come back a bit. The manual throttle up approach seems to produce less drift, if any at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Steel63

I'm not sure how he does it, but I just tap the on screen takeoff button when trying to hand launch.

I'm not sure how he does it, but I just tap the on screen takeoff button when trying to hand launch.

Um... I've been doing it the other way so long, I forgot the on screen button.

I tried this for the first time yesterday with my Mavic 2 Pro and it also rose up when I put my hand under, but as OMM said just hold down the left stick and it'll come down in to your hand. I was actually surprised how easy it was. I found the most difficult bit was to get the props started using one hand while holding my M2P.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998